Eaton splitter box 1997 advice please

truckman020:
I used to drive many DAFS in the nineties and don’t remember any with an eaton box,the only ones I drove with an eaton were seddon Atkinson strato,and fodens,stratos were good in their time one of my favourite vehicles

I think,as in my case,the confusion is caused by the introduction of Fuller synchro boxes specced for the lighter weight sectors.IE even if we drove it or saw it we wouldn’t be familiar with it as being a Fuller as we know it.

hlsmith.co.uk/daf-gearbox.aspx

While old school Fuller obviously means either constant mesh 9 or 13 speed boxes made specifically for the heavy sectors.Which would logically mean DAF 2800/3600 range having been taken out of the Euro scene around the 1990’s.

On that note it’s a great topic which has provided some updated knowledge at least in my case. :bulb:

truckman020:

norb:

truckman020:
does not sound like an eaton splitter,as far as I am aware DAFs never had an eaton only a range change[4 low 4 high] with splitter on the side

You used to get it on DAF many moons ago ,AND STILL CAN ,NOT JUST IN THE UK…Sorry about the capitals there

I used to drive many DAFS in the nineties and don’t remember any with an eaton box,the only ones I drove with an eaton were seddon Atkinson strato,and fodens,stratos were good in their time one of my favourite vehicles

You would need to go back to the 80’s …Reason I know DAF still use it though not in the uk ,was a recent bulletin that mention it and the twin plate clutch.which threw me .At a guess I would say probably brazil.as there is a factory there

cav551:
It was not in hte same quality league as the other mentioned 'boxes

Maybe as expected from a manufacturer which was more associated with being at the top in terms of constant mesh designs and then having joined the synchro party late ?.Realistically if it has to be synchro type then something made by the Germans or Scandinavians is the only option which probably explains why Euroland has tried to put Fuller out of the frame with the exception of the I shift. :bulb:

On that note I’d guess that the 16 speed synchro in the 85 etc is the ZF type listed.In which case at least that’s a great improvement over the eco split among other evil shifting synchro types.

There was a synchro version of the RT 11609 type 'box used in S reg ERFs. IIRC Lenham Storage had some.

We’ve got a DAF 75 1997 and thats got an eight speed box. Range change is a little lever in front of the gear knob.

Like me, it’s well grumpy first thing :smiley:

Funny thing is, is that it is the nicest truck we have to drive - the rest of our stuff is Axors and Ategos. :open_mouth:

We used to have some DAF six wheelers, can’t remember the model but they had a boxy cab with a flat windscreen, early nineties - again a lovely drive, 16 speed they were.

Socketset:
We’ve got a DAF 75 1997 and thats got an eight speed box. Range change is a little lever in front of the gear knob.

Like me, it’s well grumpy first thing :smiley:

Funny thing is, is that it is the nicest truck we have to drive - the rest of our stuff is Axors and Ategos. :open_mouth:

We used to have some DAF six wheelers, can’t remember the model but they had a boxy cab with a flat windscreen, early nineties - again a lovely drive, 16 speed they were.

That will be a 8 speed ZF box…If it is too grumpy in the mornings ,you can refill the box with thinner engine oil

Carryfast:

cav551:
It was not in hte same quality league as the other mentioned 'boxes

Maybe as expected from a manufacturer which was more associated with being at the top in terms of constant mesh designs and then having joined the synchro party late ?.Realistically if it has to be synchro type then something made by the Germans or Scandinavians is the only option which probably explains why Euroland has tried to put Fuller out of the frame with the exception of the I shift. :bulb:

On that note I’d guess that the 16 speed synchro in the 85 etc is the ZF type listed.In which case at least that’s a great improvement over the eco split among other evil shifting synchro types.

The ZF 16 and 8 speed box wasn’t as good as they make out ,third gear synchros where made of chocolate ,if my mind serves me right we are now on the 5th generation ,with I think carbon rings which appear to be excellent,which are on the 12 speed and the 16 and 8 …though I find unless it is an as-tronic ,manual wise the 12 is more popular …The small 8 speed eaton box from what I have experienced is more reliable than the ZF equivalent .and I love ZF boxes that fail lol…People do rat the ZF 16 speed ,and I only see them when they fail and to give them there due it is such a simple box to repair

There was an Eaton S series synchro box around in the late 90s, early 2000s, I had two lorries with the 16spd version on long term demo, first was a 464 MAN and the other a Foden Alpha with an M11 ■■■■■■■ at 440hp, very light shift loads compared to a 16spd Volvo or ZF box, but it did crunch if you rushed the change.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

just thought id update the post. It appears the box is an Eaton FS 6109a from what numbers i can find and its looking like as previous posts suggested the range change syncro has gone, not uncommon apparently especially if abused by previous owner. Im told the older Eaton parts are not that easy to find and they come from Poland. Ive tried a few of the transmission re-conditioners but Is there anywhere else I should try. Thanks again for all the useful input so far.

looking through the post again Norb you have been bang on on every point mate. I guess I need to decide weather to try and fix it in our own farm workshop or send the box away or even pay for a recon one. Id like to fix it in house as ive downloaded the manual from eatons site and it looks well written. We are used to splitting tractors for clutches and the like but i’ve never ventured in to a truck box yet. Im not a mechanic but with the help of my fitter I think it is worth a go (dependent on getting parts ) the truck is worth nothing as it is.!!

By chance Im in the US next week visiting my mate who owns a big truck repair business he says he can get any eaton fuller parts i need but i think the euro eaton ones may be cheaper here.?

You don’t have to strip the complete box, take the box out stand it on it’s bellhousing and you only have to lift the range change off…The manual is easy to follow ,worse case is you only send the range away for repair …If draining the oil be very wary of the huge drain plug ,it can knacker the threads for some unknown reason,and there is a mesh filter on it

The range change synchroniser makes a different noise (more of a crash) to a main gear synchro when there is a bad change. Also to note is that you will feel the latter through the gear lever, but not a bad range change. The larger Fuller boxes suffered from Range change synchro failure reasonably often (as a breed rather than on individual vehicles). One of the pegs would break causing changes to be very noisy. Eventually more damage would be caused usually to the auxiliary drive gear at the back of the main box. I can clearly recall changing this gear under a fairground 8 wheeler parked on the grass in Jackson’s field Rochester (overlooking New rd and the river), with the Gardner and Lister generators rattling away inches above my head.

thanks guys do i need the tool to hold the shafts in place and keep the timing marks or is that rear case not holding the main gear shafts?

cav551 are you saying you did the repair whilst the box was on the vehicle not stood on end?
cheers

it isn’t timed it only has a main shaft and a layshaft…Cnt honestly remember any special tools ,though you will need a puller

You can take ranges off in situ ,but as a first attempt it is simpler to have the box out

This was a different bigger gearbox (RTO 9509) which would have been very difficult but not impossible, to remove with the vehicle on grass and with another axle in the way. It was also a job I had done many times in situ on that type of 'box.

ok thanks again guys.

Thanks for the help, I did it myself in the end removed rear case from under truck and got it on to bench when i had some help to rebuild it with next day parts. got her all back together last night and working like it should. sorted!!
cheers again.
UA