Eaton splitter box 1997 advice please

cav551:
If this is a knock-across box to change range and it’s got a worn linkage then it is going to be a pig when selecting a gear and a range change at the same time.

Hope my attempt at adding an image works cav

In the DAF it isn’t a knock through ,it is a 4 over 4 with the range switch on the lever…It is generally a reliable little box ,though not often specced…Generally found on sweepers,though the odd rigid has it fitted ,but it is rare …Example warburtons have 1 in their fleet where I am ,the rest are ZF 6 speed manuals ,with the 6 speed astronic lite superseding them…Yes it is fully synchronised…and will probably have the crawler…

Forgot to add ,it has now been dropped for a ZF 9 speed

James the cat:

Carryfast:

unclealbert:
Ok sorry for my incorrect use of terms the box has eton stamped on it and the gears are what i understood to be 4 over 4 ie 8 speed. the switch i thought was termed splitter changes the "range " from the lower 4 gears to the higher 4 gears when flicked up or down. I have purchased the vehicle yesterday and drove it back to my yard thats it. it has a test,6 wk inspections, insurance and tax. I have an O licence and need to find a fitter to do my inspections. We ran our last HGV a scania up to 2006 since then we have been running a 7.5 tonne Merc. I need a HGV fitter for this bigger DAF as my 7.5 tonne fitter is not happy working on bigger stuff. . I have rung two fitters this morning and booked in with one to give her the once over. My guys are on tidying up the paint work today. Apologies for vague description but I was only after some advice on an old truck as Im not a professional truck driver myself.

I’d guess it’s you who deserves an apology.Firstly it’s probably fitted with an Eaton synchro type box which is news to me . :open_mouth: While from the info available the 55 series certainly does seem to have a nine speed option in that regard.While closer reading should have said to me that you were talking about a mistakenly described range change. :blush: :blush:

So there we have it probably an old 55 with a 9 speed Fuller S (O) type box. :open_mouth:

If the rest of the wagon is in good condition maybe get it looked at by a DAF agent and if needed maybe look into the possibility of a factory exchange box. :bulb:

What! You, er…you were actually wrong? :open_mouth:

And wait…about an old lorry, one of your era??

And you’ve had to admit it■■?

Oh my God, this is delicious :laughing: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

To be honest Carryfast has gone up massively in my estimation for having the honesty to admit he was wrong and the humility to offer an apology. :open_mouth: :smiley:

unclealbert:
Hi I have owned and driven my own 18tonners on and off for 16 years now and had a number of older trucks but only one FL7 with the 8 speed splitter. Ive now got a very old DAF 55 1997 with 430k on it. The engine runs sweet and the truck is only to be uses to haul hay from one farm to the other 25 mile. Can anyone give me some advice on driving with this splitter as the gear knob insert with numbers marked on it is missing .Ive worked out reverse and 4 over 4 and I think I have a crawler gear rear left. I am experiencing bad range changes coming down from 5th to 4th with crunching of gears when I flick the splitter switch down. Ive tried it in gear (5th) and in neutral and both sound excessively noisy. I cant remember my Volvo doing this but it was a long time ago!!.I’m sure more experienced driver than me have spend hours driving these boxes and may have some tips. Ive yet to find a fitter for the truck yet as my old one has retired. Taunton area if anyone can recommend a fitter happy to work on older kit. Thanks in advance.

Is it crunching when you flick the switch and move the lever in to neutral ■■? Or is it when you attempt to select 4th ■■? Reason I ask is …The range won’t change until you are in neutral, so if you go for a drive and when you wish to change down to 4th,press the clutch ,put the lever in to neutral ,leave it in neutral for a few seconds it will drop in to low range .Does it sound ok yes or no …it no then you will have a range issue …Then select 4th,does it sound ok ,if no then syncros on 4th have failed …They will generally fault more time on the down change than the up change ,as the synchros are working more on the down change …If your guys can do a 7.5 tonner ,then an 18 tonners isn’t that much different ,apart from full air brakes where as on a DAF 7.5 tonner it was air hydraulics

muckles:

James the cat:

Carryfast:

unclealbert:
Ok sorry for my incorrect use of terms the box has eton stamped on it and the gears are what i understood to be 4 over 4 ie 8 speed. the switch i thought was termed splitter changes the "range " from the lower 4 gears to the higher 4 gears when flicked up or down. I have purchased the vehicle yesterday and drove it back to my yard thats it. it has a test,6 wk inspections, insurance and tax. I have an O licence and need to find a fitter to do my inspections. We ran our last HGV a scania up to 2006 since then we have been running a 7.5 tonne Merc. I need a HGV fitter for this bigger DAF as my 7.5 tonne fitter is not happy working on bigger stuff. . I have rung two fitters this morning and booked in with one to give her the once over. My guys are on tidying up the paint work today. Apologies for vague description but I was only after some advice on an old truck as Im not a professional truck driver myself.

I’d guess it’s you who deserves an apology.Firstly it’s probably fitted with an Eaton synchro type box which is news to me . :open_mouth: While from the info available the 55 series certainly does seem to have a nine speed option in that regard.While closer reading should have said to me that you were talking about a mistakenly described range change. :blush: :blush:

So there we have it probably an old 55 with a 9 speed Fuller S (O) type box. :open_mouth:

If the rest of the wagon is in good condition maybe get it looked at by a DAF agent and if needed maybe look into the possibility of a factory exchange box. :bulb:

To be honest Carryfast has gone up massively in my estimation for having the honesty to admit he was wrong and the humility to offer an apology. :open_mouth: :smiley:

Yes it’s true Muckles, like a child learning that audible loud ■■■■■ are not appropriate in a library, we should give some praise to CF for doing what other normal people do when they’re wrong :laughing: .

Well done CF, up in my estimation too.

does not sound like an eaton splitter,as far as I am aware DAFs never had an eaton only a range change[4 low 4 high] with splitter on the side

truckman020:
does not sound like an eaton splitter,as far as I am aware DAFs never had an eaton only a range change[4 low 4 high] with splitter on the side

You used to get it on DAF many moons ago ,AND STILL CAN ,NOT JUST IN THE UK…Sorry about the capitals there

still here at work but many thanks for all your comments and I will reply in more detail tomorrow when i have time. Any misunderstanding was mostly due to my poor communication but appreciated all the same. thanks again. and yes its grinding on the range change in neutural before engaging 4th .it goes in gear fine just v noisy crunch rather than a nice clunck on the downward range change. am i right to flick down whilst still in fourth? ie depress clutch, flick down, out of 5th in to neutral wait for the change then into 4th. The DAF has a PTO to drive a hydraulic pump for a tilt slide bed this drive comes from the box i think, engaged with clutch and air switch, it works nice and quietly. Thanks again . PS for your interested I am using the truck to build an automated hay unloading bed but thats another story!!

Unless some has messed with the range protection ,it won’t let you change down at to high a speed…Though frm what you say it is indeed the range at fault,the syncros have what looks like banding on them ,which slows the bulk ring and it can come off…I’m guessing the up change of the range is ok ,its just the down change
P.T.O is driven from the layshaft

James the cat:

Bluey Circles:

James the cat:

No, it was a DAF 55 not a DAF from 1955, it’s a 1997 truck so well after his time, FFS it a syncro and probably has an electric starter motor - LOL

I thought all old bangers were his kind of pipe tobacco. Anything Eatonish or Fullery. Seems not :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

To be fair as you’ll have seen in ‘my’ era when anyone mentions splitter and Fuller together it means 13 speed of the type found in max weight premium wagons. :smiling_imp: While even all these years later I obviously still can’t get my head around the idea of a synchro 9 speed Fuller. :unamused: Especially when it’s fitted in something like a DAF 55 and when someone throws a curved ball by calling it a splitter type box. :open_mouth: :blush: :laughing:

The analogy in this case regards ‘my era’ would be like a 9 speed Fuller ending up in something like a Leyland Clydesdale let alone a Boxer. :open_mouth: :laughing:

You could check the neutral interlock valve, it can be seen in norbs picture of the gearbox above, screwed into the front of the gear selector cover with two air pipes coming from it.
I’ve had one that the valve was damaged,(looked like something had been dropped on it) it would let you still pre-select the range change, but would try and change the range before the stick was fully in the neutral position, resulting in a harsh/grinding range change.

Carryfast:
The analogy in this case regards ‘my era’ would be like a 9 speed Fuller ending up in something like a Leyland Clydesdale let alone a Boxer. :open_mouth: :laughing:

If you are an expert on older transmissions may be you could help me here; One of the first trucks I ever drove and I was only given it on a few occasions was an Albion Reiver, later morhed into the 6 wheeled Leyland Riever , it really was something out of the ark with the LAD cab on it (no heater and you couldn’t adjust the seat position :open_mouth: ) anyway, I’m sure it had two gear sticks one of which I think changed a two speed diff (which I guess was like a range change) Have you any idea what it might of been ?

Carryfast:
To be fair as you’ll have seen in ‘my’ era when anyone mentions splitter and Fuller together it means 13 speed of the type found in max weight premium wagons. :smiling_imp: While even all these years later I obviously still can’t get my head around the idea of a synchro 9 speed Fuller. :unamused: Especially when it’s fitted in something like a DAF 55 and when someone throws a curved ball by calling it a splitter type box. :open_mouth: :blush: :laughing:

A small Eaton 9 (or possibly 8, can’t remember as I never drove it) speed ‘Range Change’ (not splitter!) synchro 'box was fitted to Foden six wheelers in the late eighties, my last gaffer had one from new in 1989 paired with the 8 litre ■■■■■■■ C series engine. His split casings regularly running at 26 tonne gross so he fitted the larger 9 speed constant mesh one in its place. Maybe the same 'box that certain four wheeler’s had?

Pete.

Bluey Circles:

Carryfast:

If you are an expert on older transmissions may be you could help me here; One of the first trucks I ever drove and I was only given it on a few occasions was an Albion Reiver, later morhed into the 6 wheeled Leyland Riever , it really was something out of the ark with the LAD cab on it (no heater and you couldn’t adjust the seat position :open_mouth: ) anyway, I’m sure it had two gear sticks one of which I think changed a two speed diff (which I guess was like a range change) Have you any idea what it might of been ?

Let’s just say that LAD cab Leylands were a bit before my time in terms of familiarity with the obscure exact origins of many of the domestically supplied transmissions used on the older Brit wagons.Which could vary between anything from in house products to others like the Brown or Turner or Meadows etc.Although I’d guess that older school suspects like Bewick or Gingerfold could answer the question.

windrush:

Carryfast:

A small Eaton 9 (or possibly 8, can’t remember as I never drove it) speed ‘Range Change’ (not splitter!) synchro 'box was fitted to Foden six wheelers in the late eighties, my last gaffer had one from new in 1989 paired with the 8 litre ■■■■■■■ C series engine. His split casings regularly running at 26 tonne gross so he fitted the larger 9 speed constant mesh one in its place. Maybe the same 'box that certain four wheeler’s

It seems like that’s what Eaton/Fuller did in providing a lower spec 9 speed synchro box for the ( much ) lighter weight range which was a surprise to me.Although being familiar with Rolls 265 and proper constant mesh Fuller 9 speed in the S85 at 24 t gross it’s anyone’s guess why anyone would have chosen 8 litre power and an obviously lighter spec box in a 6 wheeler. :confused:

Slow down before coming down from 5 to 4 or going up the box double de clutch it going up or even match the revs and engine.
And its a range change box not a splitter if it 4 over 4

Carryfast:
It seems like that’s what Eaton/Fuller did in providing a lower spec 9 speed synchro box for the ( much ) lighter weight range which was a surprise to me.Although being familiar with Rolls 265 and proper constant mesh Fuller 9 speed in the S85 at 24 t gross it’s anyone’s guess why anyone would have chosen 8 litre power and an obviously lighter spec box in a 6 wheeler. :confused:

All down to payload Carryfast, the standard engine in the Foden 3 axle tipper was the ■■■■■■■ L10 and ‘large’ Eaton/Fuller 'box but the smaller engine and gearbox saved several cwt. The 8 litre ■■■■■■■ pulled just as well as my L10 (the gearing was different) but the 'box wasn’t really strong enough for tipper work. My last lorry actually came from a breakers yard and was fitted with the small engine and synchro box but both were worn out so a spare L10 and Fuller overdrive box were fitted by my boss before it went on the road. Alas it still had the higher diff ratio and I had to be doing 50 mph before I could use top gear! :laughing:

Regarding the Albion splitter box, the ones I dealt with had the splitter switch on the main gearlever but they were the G cabbed Reiver’s and not LAD’s.

Pete.

norb:

truckman020:

You used to get it on DAF many moons ago ,AND STILL CAN ,NOT JUST IN THE UK…Sorry about the capitals there

I used to drive many DAFS in the nineties and don’t remember any with an eaton box,the only ones I drove with an eaton were seddon Atkinson strato,and fodens,stratos were good in their time one of my favourite vehicles

windrush:

Carryfast:

All down to payload Carryfast, the standard engine in the Foden 3 axle tipper was the ■■■■■■■ L10 and ‘large’ Eaton/Fuller 'box but the smaller engine and gearbox saved several cwt. The 8 litre ■■■■■■■ pulled just as well as my L10 (the gearing was different) but the 'box wasn’t really strong enough for tipper work. My last lorry actually came from a breakers yard and was fitted with the small engine and synchro box but both were worn out so a spare L10 and Fuller overdrive box were fitted by my boss before it went on the road. Alas it still had the higher diff ratio and I had to be doing 50 mph before I could use top gear! :laughing:

Regarding the Albion splitter box, the ones I dealt with had the splitter switch on the main gearlever but they were the G cabbed Reiver’s and not LAD’s.

Pete.

Those 265 Rolls powered S85’s were great motors to drive both with the 9 speed Fuller and the previous Foden box before they were converted.It looks like there’s still some survivors around which seems to confirm the more or less bullet proof spec so arguably worth any payload penalty. :bulb:

awltrucksales.co.uk/wp_car_d … tter-body/

I wasn’t familiar with the Reiver,with the exception of the big gritters,the council’s operations all being 4 wheeler based ranging from smaller WF’s.To the multi lift Clydesdale which was a great workhorse which we used for everything from tipper work to general/plant haulage and bulk refuse transport.Both of which I preferred to the retrograde Boxer heap which we also used as tippers and with demount gritter bodies.

IIRC there were three main designs of Eaton 'box around that time and a bit earlier. The large case Twin Countershaft (layshaft) RT(0) 9509 superseded by the 11609 which had more, smaller teeth. This as said, had a wide casing with the range change section mounted on and protruding forwards from what could loosely be called a flat plate of 1" steel which was dowelled and bolted to the back of the main box. The smaller case Twin Countershaft RT (0)0609 or (0)610 was a slimmer 'box with the range section in its own housing, which was then bolted onto the back of the main box. This really being a reversal of mounting methods.

The big box was rated around 950 lbft torque capacity and went behind 14 litre ■■■■■■■■ 8 pot Gardner some 6 pot gardner and Rolls 12 litre. The smaller 600 lbft 'box initially went behind 12 Litre ■■■■■■■■ as an option for 6 pot Gardner and later for the ■■■■■■■ L10 250.

The FS (O) 6109 was a totally different single layshaft design, with epicyclic range change reduction gearing all housed in three casings. If mounted vertically it was taller and slimmer than either of the other boxes. It was not in hte same quality league as the other mentioned 'boxes