Driver's Hours And Yard Practices

Personally I would be looking for work elsewhere and once secured, be handing in my resignation citing her as the sole reason why you’re leaving.

Regarding driving hours, the simple solution would be a form where you put “from”, “to”, “departure” and “arrival” time on each line for each leg of the journey.

Then she can see you went off from X and got to Y at certain times. Maybe include an “issues” column too for things like diversions, road closures etc. Then she can see how long it takes etc. Keeps her happy and she might stop complaining about driving times.

As for moving trucks - loads do it in various ysrds without a licence. Having to do checks before moving may be a bit OTT but if its company policy nothing you can do. Just keep out the way.

On brake lights, if its a DAF see if theres a 3rd button on remote. Press amd hold for 2 seconds amd it runs though lights (not sure if its on rigids). If no one on the yard and its dark, you can see them anyway.

Would agree, if paid hourly just go with flow and let them see the costs go up. Keeping a timesheet will defo help you esp if you addon “vehicle checks” etc. to show bosses how long things take.

Franglais:

Darkside:
To be fair the OP is the kind of nightmare employee that has made her like she is.

It’s her yard she can ask you to do what she wants, though whether you do it or leave is up to you…

Emailing DVSA and HSE for answers, instead of going to the people above her and asking■■? Not getting the answers wanted so coming on here for moral support from other drivers■■?

Industry is full of snowflakes nowadays…

As I read it, the new transport manager is the only person there who knows anything about transport? Guessing it’s own account?
There is no one above her who could correct her.
Asking DVSA for clarifications seems reasonable to me, but asking for an investigation wouldn’t.

I was thinking that as she was a ‘coordinator’ who had took here CPC she had people above her?

I am not sure about asking DVSA as even as late as Monday they didn’t know you could test your eyesight by going for a drive, when this actually has been in place since March…

R420:

Darkside:
To be fair the OP is the kind of nightmare employee that has made her like she is.

It’s her yard she can ask you to do what she wants, though whether you do it or leave is up to you…

Emailing DVSA and HSE for answers, instead of going to the people above her and asking■■? Not getting the answers wanted so coming on here for moral support from other drivers■■?

What a stupid response. Did you feel better after typing that? OP, take no notice of this clown. Your arguments were perfectly reasonable. She is clueless on the regs.

Not at all. It makes me sad grown men can’t see right from wrong and get walked all over to be fair.

Darkside:

Franglais:

Darkside:

As I read it, the new transport manager is the only person there who knows anything about transport? Guessing it’s own account?
There is no one above her who could correct her.
Asking DVSA for clarifications seems reasonable to me, but asking for an investigation wouldn’t.

I was thinking that as she was a ‘coordinator’ who had took here CPC she had people above her?

I am not sure about asking DVSA as even as late as Monday they didn’t know you could test your eyesight by going for a drive, when this actually has been in place since March…

Class [emoji3]

You only use POA When you know in advance the length of the delay not sat in traffic that’s duty !!
Sounds like your going to have fun
Who do you work for in Basingstoke ?

You should run with this, doing exactly as she tells you down to the letter.

Request instructions that must be followed, ie vehicle movements and full checking, in memo or email form, verbal not acceptable as could be forgotten or misinterpreted, keep copies of everything.
Buy numerous bags of popcorn and watch it develop, they chose this person for the job, let them reap the results and let them sort it out when it becomes obvious their choice to run the show hasn’t a bleedin clue.

Juddian:

Request instructions that must be followed, ie vehicle movements and full checking, in memo or email form, verbal not acceptable as could be forgotten or misinterpreted, keep copies of everything.
Buy numerous bags of popcorn and watch it develop, they chose this person for the job, let them reap the results and let them sort it out when it becomes obvious their choice to run the show hasn’t a bleedin clue.

Exactly this…

Get it in writing and then do as ya told.

Wonder if that woman trained in the USA as over here all time spent behind the wheel on the road stuck in a traffic jam is still recorded as driving time.

As for inspecting a wagon before you move it in the yard i’d inspect every nut & bolt then call her to stand behind the wagon to check brake lights. Just complying with your policies Ma’m :wink: :wink:

trevorking1964:

Juddian:

Exactly this…

Get it in writing and then do as ya told.

Nail on head. This is exactly what I’ve done and it works every time. Nothing like playing 'em at their own game.

Blimey she sounds like a pain in the arse, and not the good type :wink: Clearly feels she’s a point to prove, which she’s trying to do by being wrong about everything

Darkside:

Nightmare employee? There is nobody above her who has any knowledge of this, so I can’t go to anyone else. That is why I emailed DVSA and asked other drivers, to make sure I was right, rather than go to her and be wrong. And I did get the answers I wanted from DVSA, actually. I only came on here to ask a broader variety of drivers their opinions.
And you’ve given yours. Thank you.

the maoster:
Dunno how you are paid mate, hourly or salary? If it was me and I was salaried I’d be keeping schtum about the driving hours, let her think that you’re maxing your driving hours out, eventually you’ll have paid time off. Win win.

Not a bad idea! But I’m not scared of work, I’ll work whatever hours are needed. Within the law obviously.

ROG:

They agreed with me that driving time is only when the wheels are turning. Irrespective of how long I’ve been sat at the wheel

Correct under EU regs

Under UK domestic regs it is time behind the wheel and that is probably where your new TM is getting mixed up

It is easy enough for anyone even a TM to get hold of the EU regs and read them within seconds

Yeah I told her she might be getting UK and EU regs mixed up. I didn’t, and wouldn’t, call her stupid, anyone can make a mistake. But she was insistent I was wrong.

R420:

Darkside:

What a stupid response. Did you feel better after typing that? OP, take no notice of this clown. Your arguments were perfectly reasonable. She is clueless on the regs.

It’s ok, I’m not that much of a snowflake… :wink:

Darkside:

R420:

Darkside:

Not at all. It makes me sad grown men can’t see right from wrong and get walked all over to be fair.

I’ve been driving the 18t for just over 3yrs. I’ve basically had the same job, but driving vans, for 30yrs. I’m not new to this kind of work at all, I’ve worked with and around truck drivers all that time. I’m not completely green. As I said, but maybe not clearly, we’re not a trucking or transport company. We just have 4 vans and 1 truck. She’s only dealt with a fleet of vans before this, the previous TM had a full truck licence and CPC. He had been there and done the job. But the new person is new to it all. The truck side anyway. I’ve done all I can to try to accommodate her lack of knowledge, I have never ever tried to make her look silly, we’re not born with knowledge, we gain it over time. Obviously. I’ve helped her any way I can. But since doing her CPC course she’s come back with what seems like an attitude of trying to prove something. And as I’m the only one who drives the truck at work it’s not like I can talk to anyone else there about it, also there’s nobody else to tell her she’s mistaken. It’s basically her word against mine.

GOG47:
She’s a woman, she’ll always be right even when she’s wrong. The end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d just like to point out her gender has NOTHING to do with my post or issues.

robthedog:
You only use POA When you know in advance the length of the delay not sat in traffic that’s duty !!
Sounds like your going to have fun
Who do you work for in Basingstoke ?

Yeah that’s what I’ve been told, which I knew anyway. I’ve also been told that many companies don’t use POA.
I’d rather not say who I work for, it’s not a transport company.

robroy:

frogman:
SHE IS WRONG SHE NEEDS TO GO BACK AND DO HER CPC AGAIN

She needs a carreer change, she sounds like the new generation of transport staff who know the far end of [zb] all about the job in REAL terms, who just love to agitate drivers with her stupid bloody rules she has made up just to justify her existence. :unamused: …just what the job needs. :unamused:
Just take a back seat mate, do as she says, and give her enough rope and she will eventually hang herself with her own self importance and ignorance.

Have yourself a laugh and send her a link to this thread after a few more opinions are stated.
Tell her you just put it on here to enquire what was and wasn’t right.and all this came up. :laughing:

I was actually a bit apprehensive about putting this on here in case she does come here and sees it! Don’t want any more tension than there already is!

Cant be easy going into work every day and knowing you might have a confertation or disagreement and always with the same person
To make like easy you could just got along with her, or if you could just go back to driving the vans and not the truck, that might bring it to a head