In at the deep end.

Hello everyone ive been reading the forum for about 6 months now, Ive passed my class 2 in dec and just started a full time job (really fell on my feet). Anyway im really struggling with the tacho rules, this is my typical day mon-fri (same every day).

start 7:00am
first break at 7:50am till 9:00am while getting loaded from warehouse lads, then drive till next break 12:36pm till 12:52pm, more driving then another break 13:45 till 14:17, then drive till back at depot which is between 16:00-16:30.
Is this ok 5 days a week or am i going wrong :question: .

Thanks in advance stuart

The first two driving period comes out pretty tight to 4 1/2 hours. Other than that it’s ok. You could even do POA instead of break at the beginning at the depot. More professional. :wink:

I am here: maps.google.com/maps?ll=52.021944,-0.695716

Yes that’s fine

try here mate might help

dft.gov.uk/vosa/publications … guides.htm

thanks for the replys guys im just wondering is there a better way of doing the run?? i always have to get loaded at 8am for at least an hour sometimes 2hours. i just cant seem to work out my hours after having a 45 so early on in the day.

After you load when do you tip? No mention of getting unloaded at all!

If you’re doing anything during those ‘breaks’, ie opening curtains, taking paperwork in office etc, then you’re not legal.

I’d say it’s cutting it too fine too, but as you’re written it, is legal.

Just ignore the first break at the start of your day for tacho compliance, I wouldn’t even put it on break to be honest. You could take a 15 minute break then switch it to other work (crossed hammers) and then you would just need a half hour break later on in the middle of the day to reset your drive time.

The only thing you really need to bear in mind is that you cannot drive for more than 4 and a half hour without taking a 45 minute break or a 15 minute break and then a 30 minute break. So long as you comply with this rule, your golden in your part time capacity. :grimacing:

If you want to be uber on the ball you could also bear in mind that you need to take a 30 minute break before 6 hours of duty time have elapsed to comply with the wtd but no one enforces this so I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

Hiya why not have 0830 untill 0900 on break, you…(me) would say i loaded and had a quick brew with the lads
you’d be set up for the day easly.then 1230 till 1250 another break you’ve had your 45 and a bit thats for me…
good luck
John

3300John:
Hiya why not have 0830 untill 0900 on break, you…(me) would say i loaded and had a quick brew with the lads
you’d be set up for the day easly.then 1230 till 1250 another break you’ve had your 45 and a bit thats for me…
good luck
John

1230 till 1250 not legal ,second break must be 30 mins so do 1230 till 1300 and your home and dry , 10 mins differance wont hurt surely.

Thanks again for the replys I forgot to mention I’m doing 3 deliveries in the afternoon I’m never waiting more than 5 mins to get tipped so I just leave it on crossed hammers.

Silver_Surfer:
You could take a 15 minute break then switch it to other work (crossed hammers) and then you would just need a half hour break later on in the middle of the day to reset your drive time.

Not necessarily. Unless he has done some driving before the first break, shunting the vehicle onto a bay or driving round the yard for a minute would do, then it would not count for the tacho rules, it would count for the WTD though.

Silver_Surfer:
If you want to be uber on the ball you could also bear in mind that you need to take a 30 minute break before 6 hours of duty time have elapsed to comply with the wtd but no one enforces this so I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

Minimum of 15, not 30, minutes, break before six hours of work not duty. But the bit about the enforcement was right. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

lanerover:
Thanks again for the replys I forgot to mention I’m doing 3 deliveries in the afternoon I’m never waiting more than 5 mins to get tipped so I just leave it on crossed hammers.

What do you do between starting a 07:00 and when you get loaded? Also, how much actual driving do you do in a typical shift?

From 7 till 8 I’m driving from a yard where the wagon is stored to the loading depot. It’s about 20 miles.

lanerover:
From 7 till 8 I’m driving from a yard where the wagon is stored to the loading depot. It’s about 20 miles.

Right, that makes things easier.

If I was doing that run I would take a 15 minute break while getting loaded, then switch it to work, or it could be POA. I would take a 30 minute break when you are taking the one just after 12:30, or when I hit 4.5 hours driving whichever came first. That should see me back to the yard and an earlier finish. You are legal for both the tacho and WTD if you do this. if you want more break rather than the earlier finish then you can stick with what you are doing as it is also okay for both sets of regs.

Thanks coffee I will try that I’m not too fussed about having lots of breaks the earlier I finish the better :slight_smile: .