Driver hours

As a newbie to all this and as not a yet qualified LGV driver I’m curious about something regarding driving hours.
I understand you can only drive for 9 hours a day 56 max a week but when you are unloading and tacho is on other work does this count to your driving time?
I ask because having worked in a large distribution centre in admin I’ve seen wagons wait hour upon hour to unload and surely this is when as a driver you would put the tacho to rest? But I hear this would be illegal? Why not put it on POA as you are still available?
Please help as I really want to do this but certain things are making me worried if I pass.

You answered the question yourself, if he’s on other work no he’s not driving, only driving counts as driving. And the situation you said as well is to put it on POA or break for the first 45. Aslong as you can do what you want and not working, and the site allows you to take breaks on bays you will be fine.

Don’t worry to much about regulations yet, pass the test first then look into it.

The phrase don’t run before you walk comes to mind :slight_smile:

But honestly don’t worry or you will focus on tiny little things and get bonged down on then and won’t end up doing it

Waiting on a bay and doing nothing along with knowing how long that will be leaves the driver with 3 options
1 - other work = not illegal but a bit daft to use that
2 - POA = must know how long the wait is
3 - Break (not rest) = simplest mode to use if you paid get for recorded breaks

Driving time for the EU regs is only recorded when the vehicle is moving

Bit of trivia - The legal definition of driving is different in UK law and in the UK domestic regs

Thank you lads :smiley: