Driverless vehicles...question

I wouldnt worry…cos it aint gonna happen for many years yet…IF it does…theres gonna be crashes everywhere…and lots of em stuck in the snow…ha ha

However it would appear that if we lose our jobs as drivers, it’s unlikely we’ll be able to get jobs working in supermarkets, no doubt they could also automate the shelf stacking.

Which leads to the question, when the goods are moved from the automated factory, to the automated warehouse for delivery by the automated truck, who is going to have a job to buy the goods from the automated supermarket? :confused:

muckles:

Captain Caveman 76:
I was talking to a MAN man not so long ago and autonomous vehicles was one of the topics that came up. He reckoned that the sensors on their auto vehicles (and current ones for that matter) could scan the road up to three kilometres ahead. He couldn’t quite explain how they saw through the vehicle in front though.
This autonomous ideal is like a huge jigsaw, trying to put everything together but we don’t know if we have all the pieces yet.

Not sure what info the MAN person of male Gender was talking about, but maybe it was the short range communications between vehicles.
I believe the plan is to have a short range vehicle to vehicle system or even vehicle to road infrastructure communications on a dedicated frequency or to use the 5G network so vehicles can get information from a wide area and avoid hold ups, but will be a less reliable system or have both systems.

Although one autonomous vehicle developer has decided to remove permanent connections, just doing it in short bursts, due to the fear of hacking.

So in the scenario of 2 trucks heading for a bend, I assume the theory they’ll be communicating with each other and some algorithm will decide which one gives way, unless of course the hackers have got in and they decide to create a disaster movie scenario, or the beginning of yet another predictable episode of casualty and have the fuel tanker and truck with dangerous chemicals head for the orphan kittens home on the day the local primary school visit.

Sorry, I should have explained that better. He explained that as part of the autonomous vehicles decision making processes whilst driving, it would scan the road up to 3km ahead in order to help it forward plan. Some of these sensors are (apparently) already fitted to its vehicles for things like brake assist, lane departure and adaptive cruise. What I got from that (not that he confirmed) was that we’re being used as guinea pigs to test this tech and massive amounts of data are being gathered as to how well it works and whether it could be used without driver input.

Given how everything on my DAF to do with lane changing and adaptive cruise control turned itself off in the light snow and roadspray on Sunday I think we’re still some way off. All the testing of self driving trucks has been done in Nevada where it is good dry weather almost all the time and the roads are straight for miles and miles with little traffic.

With cars they’ve progressed somewhat being about to manouvre around urban areas to some extent however it was only yesterday when a Tesla on autopilot ran into the back of a stationary fire engine on the highway which was attending an accident. The Tesla didn’t even slow down at all and the impact speed was 65MPH. Tesla haven’t disputed that autopilot was engaged.

truckyboy:
I wouldnt worry…cos it aint gonna happen for many years yet.

Yep I don’t think it will happen as soon as some believe, even truck manufactuers are talking about assisted driving not full automation in the near future.

truckyboy:
.IF it does…theres gonna be crashes everywhere…and lots of em stuck in the snow…ha ha

So nothing like what happens now then? :unamused:

Conor:
With cars they’ve progressed somewhat being about to manouvre around urban areas to some extent however it was only yesterday when a Tesla on autopilot ran into the back of a stationary fire engine on the highway which was attending an accident. The Tesla didn’t even slow down at all and the impact speed was 65MPH. Tesla haven’t disputed that autopilot was engaged.

Despite what many Tesla drivers seem to think Tesla’s aren’t fully automated.

cheekymonkey:
The first word of my post was “sorry”, however if it offended anyone I’ll say sorry again. I’m not sure why someone who thinks a post is boring or unnecessary spends their time replying to it though! A bit daft really. The internet is full of irrelevant stuff, do they sit replying to it all until death finally arrives?

Blimey, you took that a bit personally. Lighten up old fruit

You lot can spend all of your lives thinking up all of the possible scenario’s where autonomous vehicles might fail, but in the end the spin & the lies of those who wish them to be introduced will defeat you.

Current thinking is slowly coming around to acknowledge that autonomous vehicles & people cannot fully interact & IMO they will NEVER be able to interact.

We are in very real danger of losing of losing a vast proportion of our available road network, because those who wish them to be introduced tend to get their own way & bugger the rest of us.

muckles:

That is somewhat concerning :laughing:

switchlogic:

cheekymonkey:
The first word of my post was “sorry”, however if it offended anyone I’ll say sorry again. I’m not sure why someone who thinks a post is boring or unnecessary spends their time replying to it though! A bit daft really. The internet is full of irrelevant stuff, do they sit replying to it all until death finally arrives?

Blimey, you took that a bit personally. Lighten up old fruit

Yeh…suppose so. Sorry. I`ve now lightened up!

Sorry for saying sorry all the time!

Freight Dog:

muckles:

And may be not as far fetched as you may think.
I know of someone who reversed her car into another car and blamed the accident on the fact that her normal car has a reversing proximity sensor.

Freight Dog:

muckles:

Yep just a bit. :open_mouth:

Not this crap again…Never gonna happen…yawn. :smiley:

Franglais:

switchlogic:

Franglais:

switchlogic:
Here.

We.

Go.

Again.

True. But when did you last see a truly original subject?
Low bridges. SatNav. AutoBox. Agency.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

True enough. There are no original subjects at this stage I suppose

Here we sit on Olympus, watching those below. . .

Pondering the meaning of our existence on this small rock in this infinite space.

Wheel Nut 3:
Trains still have a driver, there’s a reason for that [emoji14]

Not the DLR.

the nodding donkey:

Franglais:

switchlogic:

switchlogic:
Here.

We.

Go.

Again.

Pondering the meaning of our existence on this small rock in this infinite space.

Bluey Circles:

the nodding donkey:

Franglais:

switchlogic:

switchlogic:
Here.

We.

Go.

Again.

Have you any pet white mice?

Bluey Circles:

Freight Dog:

muckles:

And may be not as far fetched as you may think.
I know of someone who reversed her car into another car and blamed the accident on the fact that her normal car has a reversing proximity sensor.

Same as when people blame sat nag for driving in to a river or a road that’s to small for the vehicle.
The sat bag isn’t driving

theverge.com/2018/1/23/1692 … sh-lawsuit

…and so it starts

Bluey Circles:
if you’re rolling along towards a 90 degree bend and you spot a waggon heading towards the same bend you know when to hang back or get a move on and get there first. what will an autonomous do? have a hairy canary when confronted with the other on the wrong side of the road?

At the moment sensors are field of view and field of scanning. Probably within the usual visual range. If you’re talking about blind corners then newer quantum sensors will be able to “see around” corners, which will help with planning. They’re being developed and tested at the moment, although quantum sensing isn’t anywhere near my range of interest. I just know the broad strokes of what they’re doing!