Time to find new job

news.sky.com/story/1478546/first … t-the-road

Wouldn’t be me sitting in that seat anyway!
youtu.be/XZxZC0lgOlc

Hypothetical question:
Suppose one of these self driving trucks is pootling along one of our “smart” motorways and comes across one of the random speed reduction signs. If it gets zapped by a camera, who gets the points and fine? Is it a truly “self driving vehicle”?

Captain Caveman 76:
Hypothetical question:
Suppose one of these self driving trucks is pootling along one of our “smart” motorways and comes across one of the random speed reduction signs. If it gets zapped by a camera, who gets the points and fine? Is it a truly “self driving vehicle”?

I bet my bottom dollar the driver is still the one to take the grief if it speeds or goes ploughing into the back of stationary traffic .
I doubt very much he will be relaxing like in video so defies the point of it lol.

So the self driving truck allows driver to “perform back office tasks”. Yes,ill feel perfectly safe sitting doing paperwork etc,not watching the road and letting a computer handle controling the 44 tons. Nothing ever goes wrong with computers,their so reliable. What could ever possibly go wrong? :unamused:

Captain Caveman 76:
Hypothetical question:

It would be set up as to not break the speed limits in the first place.

The biggest problem is not the truck driving itself but what happens when evasive action is needed. If you have another vehicle career out of control towards it there’s no natural reaction for self preservation which a thinking human would have.

The other problem, along with automated cars is that when rules are programmed into the computer with the highway code parameters given, its possible it will never get the chance to overtake cyclists etc. Imagine if it’s waiting for a gap in oncoming traffic that will allow it to make a wide pass. In reality, we all make passes that do not give the specified safety space stated in the highway code.

As one who prides himself on being at the very cutting edge and forefront of developing technology I can assure you all that this system is coming, and sooner than you think. It is the future ladies and gents.

Now, does anybody want to buy a squariel or maybe a Betamax video recorder? I’ve got loads to sell! :wink:

Just look at the latest cars with all the gizmos and the latest laptops, they all still crash/malfunction and you need to switch them on and off. Load of pish

the maoster:
As one who prides himself on being at the very cutting edge and forefront of developing technology I can assure you all that this system is coming, and sooner than you think. It is the future ladies and gents.

Now, does anybody want to buy a squariel or maybe a Betamax video recorder? I’ve got loads to sell! :wink:

I might pop round in the C5 to have a look at them later, just got to fit this new cassette player in & im ready. :open_mouth:

There is no automated truck in the world, that will ever be able to drag its knuckles along the floor, like a 100 percent genuine, dyed in the wool British Trucker can … :sunglasses:

For those who have seen the Terminator movies, you’ll know what happens when the machines rise against the humans. Picture this… security guy at RDC “Giz ya keys drive and take your sorry ■■■ off to the drivers room”. Cue the red glowing light and the horrible crunching noise as the security guy realises the clipboard is slowly getting inserted into his ■■■■ - sideways… :grimacing:

LIBERTY_GUY:
There is no automated truck in the world, that will ever be able to drag its knuckles along the floor, like a 100 percent genuine, dyed in the wool British Agency Trucker can … :sunglasses:

For those who have seen the Terminator movies, you’ll know what happens when the machines rise against the humans. Picture this… security guy at RDC “Giz ya keys drive and take your sorry ■■■ off to the drivers room”. Cue the red glowing light and the horrible crunching noise as the security guy realises the clipboard is slowly getting inserted into his ■■■■ - sideways… :grimacing:

FTFY

LIBERTY_GUY:
There is no automated truck in the world, that will ever be able to drag its knuckles along the floor, like a 100 percent genuine, dyed in the wool British Trucker can … :sunglasses:

youtube.com/watch?v=bRkAY1ClTMo

The-Snowman:
So the self driving truck allows driver to “perform back office tasks”. Yes,ill feel perfectly safe sitting doing paperwork etc,not watching the road and letting a computer handle controling the 44 tons. Nothing ever goes wrong with computers,their so reliable. What could ever possibly go wrong? :unamused:

One word: Aeroplanes :wink: :smiley:

ajt:

The-Snowman:

Not a lot to hit up there.

This is going to be ■■■■■■■ hilarious to watch in reality, this shower of ■■■■■■ Freightliner (Daimler Benz), or Freightshaker as more affectionately known out here still can’t build a truck that doesn’t leak like a basket through the windscreen at the first sign of rain. I’ve had 2 from new, within 6mths, there are so many rattles, you can barely hear the radio.
The ride makes a hardtail chop, Rolls Royce like, and the build quality is total ■■■■■■
Glad I’m not in Nevada when this starts.

BillyHunt:
just got to fit this new cassette player in & im ready. :open_mouth:

Cassette pah! Now if you’d said a nice 8 track we’d be talking business Billy. :smiley:

Radar19:

ajt:

The-Snowman:

Not a lot to hit up there.

Depends which way its facing

Bet it doesn’t run on windows lol

Oh a roundabout - wait till I reboot and see which way to go [emoji57]

Chill chaps, your jobs are not going anywhere.
These truck are gonna be good for long hauls in large countries where you drive for hours and don’t see a human being.
Here is a clearer explanation of how it is supposed to work

video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000377262

Ten thousand miles of testing doesn’t sound much to me. I’ve done twice that and I don’t feel like an ‘experienced’ truck driver yet.