Driver CPC, new guidance

Hi guys, my licence is pre 1997…in fact first licence was 1963…the hgv came without test…i am now 74, and am licenced for the 7.5 vehicle category, as last year i didnt renew my HGV licences, and the new licence arrived soon after, so not sure about the 70 age rule, surely they wouldnt renew if i couldnt use it, if i`m entitled to it, and got it, then i can use it…surely .I didnt renew my DCPC, but dont think theres anything to stand in my way if i wanted to get the qualification.

I did 3 CPC courses recently via Zoom

Much better lounging around home :sunglasses:

We have over 6 drivers that require driver CPC and just don’t understand the new guidance.

Let’s see if there are any new changes in guidance as we are a forklift training company and starting to range into HGV driver training.

Most of our drivers are outsourced. Let’s see how it pans out over the next few months.

==============================

:bulb: Please read forum rule #5

Hi Tachograph, your input to the CPC renewal post was helpful, however i find some of it wrong for the following reasons.
As a previous holder of a class 1 ( CE ) in 2019 i decided not to renew my licence for the hgv, so duly sent it off to dvla and it was returned and i was then 73, but the licence is for 3 years.
Because of grandfathers rights ( pre 97 licence ) i was given my C1 and C1E i am 75 now, so saying that i wouldn’t get it if i was over 70 is wrong ( not having a go btw )
The way i understand the rules is i can drive a vehicle up to 3.5 tons as it is…but i believe to drive up to 7.5 tons i will need a medical and a cpc ( it ran out in 2019 ) is this correct ?

And in my dreams, i won the lotto ( don’t we all ) so i wanted to buy a big American style motorhome ( RV ) and because of its weight ( probably around 8/9 tons maybe more ) i would need a CE licence which is above the 7.5tons category that i hold is this correct ? If so, would i need a cpc or is this only for commercial use, but believe i would obviously need a medical because of my age.

Your views are greatly appreciated, but will not enable you to enter my dream. :smiley:

truckyboy:
The way i understand the rules is i can drive a vehicle up to 3.5 tons as it is…but i believe to drive up to 7.5 tons i will need a medical and a cpc ( it ran out in 2019 ) is this correct ?

Yep, sounds about right

I dont see the need for DCPC if you only want to drive your own large vehicle . If it is private and not in any way a commercial undertaking then you just need to have a B licence. As you are in receipt of an old style licence you could tow a trailer as well. The P in DCPC stands for PROFESSIONAL meaning that you are being paid for your activity.

Evolved:
I did 3 CPC courses recently via Zoom

Much better lounging around home :sunglasses:

How much and which provider pls mate, well up for lying in bed and having the cpc on in the background [emoji1]

Dcpc a Trampers nightmare, Germany brought it in an then Germany through lack of drivers thought it a bad idea, now our boris who isn’t that into European ideas still let’s this total ■■■■ take continue. Soooo il have to sit in a class room for 5 days pay for the privilege, yet again. I knew 2 good drivers that quit industry when they brought dcpc out, wish I had.

I have a current DCPC cos I (just about!) got it all done last September. quote dieseldave…

really dave :wink: a trainer doing 35hrs… :wink: sorry mate could’nt help it… :smiley:

There is comment on the Driver CPC in the fairly recent discussion in the House of Lords.

A link to the video of it is here (thanks to user weeto for making me aware of it):
youtube.com/watch?v=fGteW_KViqk

The main talk on Driver CPC starts at 6:36
At 7:15 Baroness Vere stated:
“The Government does have funding available to support those who do have a C+E licence who need to get their driver CPC.”

Anyone know anything about that?

There is a transcript of the discussion here:
theyworkforyou.com/lords/?i … 07a.1285.1

Here’s my recommendation, scrap the driver CPC altogether. When I did my driver CPC one of the participants couldn’t even speak English. Utter waste of time and money and a complete humiliation on one’s professionalism and intelligence.

Maybe drivers might return to the industry in larger numbers if that were the case?

robbo99.:
Here’s my recommendation, scrap the driver CPC altogether.

Please take the time to read this -
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=169737

By all means read D Thompson’s link, but do it in conjunction with this :
google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q … -RKqnsmoz3

What do you mean Zac A “hours advantages” do you mean so you can work longer…longer days :imp:

I’ve no idea what you’re talking about, I’ve merely referred to section 7.2 and the words “hours advantage” do not appear anywhere in that section, in fact if you search the whole document, the only time “advantage” appears is as part of the word “disadvantage”.

I also have no idea why you’ve written

What do you mean Zac A

I didn’t write the review, I’m just telling people it exists so they can see what the Government’s general thoughts on the subject have been in recent years

I think the 30% drop in accidents that involve trucks may be because they are safer and the roads better with more m ways and duels ect I do not think for one bit that the driver CPC or the fact that FORS has been introduced has helped

Zac_A:
There’s more at stake than the money issue I think:

How does a law get repealled? My understanding is that some MP has to get stuck in, make a solid argument, follow through on it and really really want to make it happen
I don’t like quoting wikipedia but here’s what they have on the topic
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repeal

Who’s going to do that? What possible reason would they have to do that? Just to keep a small minority of truckers slightly less-unhappy than they usually are? What’s in it for them?

Even if some MP (for some inexplicable reason) should motivate their self to do all that, how easily could it blow up in their face? They’d be accused of not caring about road safety, and the next time there was a notable death on the road involving an HGV, who’d get the blame for it?

As well as the driver getting the blame (and who almost automatically gets arrested at the scene of any incident), there would be accusing fingers pointing at that MP and it would be the end of their career. All it would take is a 0.01% increase in road fatalities involving HGVs and it would be seen as the result of scrapping DCPC

Whether or not there has been an improvement in road safety specifically associated with the introduction of DCPC, I do not know: I have some experience with statistics and I have a rightly cautious approach to them (as we all should have)

However… two minutes of searching on the web and I found an official document (link below)that shows a massive and rapid reduction in road fatalities (down by 30%) since 2008: What would MPs & Road Safety Campaigners make of this?

Oh, and there’s that link I posted, which leads to a 43 page government document, which has already pronounced on the issue of should-it-stay-or-should-it-go-now.

assets.publishing.service.gov.u … t-2018.pdf

i bet you do driver training ? the death counts are a result of much safer cars these days, however watch these figures go up over the years thanks to smart motorways, lets see the figures of trucks losing loads, hitting bridges, trucks falling over etc all the normal everyday stuff that is always causeing motorway madness these days ? i bet those figures are through the roof, and climbing as now there will be even more inexperienced drivers let loose on the roads,

desypete:
i bet you do driver training ?

Do you think only DCPC trainers are in favour of keeping it? If so, you’re wrong.

I’ve got my class 1, so I can honestly say I’m a driver. But more often these days I’m a DGSA and an external TM, I see drivers getting theirselves infringements (and putting the company at risk) because they haven’t got the sense to plan their breaks properly, or not doing their defects checks properly.

My time is limited, so the easiest thing for me to do is send them for a days DCPC with a trainer of known quality to be reminded of what they claim they already know. That way the next time they have two defective tyres or don’t take a 45minute break before the 4.5 hours has passed, they can’t say they didn’t know it was important, because I’ve had someone else spend a whole day telling them what is must-know information, while I’m busy doing all the other stuff to make sure the company stays out of trouble with DVSA and the TC.

I thought it might have said DONT TAKE ANY NOTICE OF IT FROM NOW ON

I’ve just had an emial from my MP as I complained about the CPC and what a waste of my time and around £1200 it costs me. He had a reply from Baroness Vere of Norbiton, with a longwinded way of saying that it is wonderful and costs very little. I’ve pointed out to him that this woman obviously knoews absolutely nothing about trucks or drivers. I also pointedout that the first time this was brought in a LOT of very experienced drivers left. Mine runs out on 9/9/24, and I just can’t face sitting in a classroom for 35 hours at my own expense being bored stiff again. I also pointed out that if she is an example of government, then wonder so much is screwed.