Driver CPC update

So I emailed the DVSA on Friday regarding some trainers cancelling dcpc courses, which has happened in my case, I was still requiring 21 hours, fortunately I found a trainer that was still operating further away from my home, and have completed 2 days and got last day tomorrow, but after this week there may be a shortage of trainers who are prepared to carry on with doing these courses.
This is the response I received off them today, and by the way the option of doing some of the courses remotely is also mentioned in the cpc consultation I posted the other day.

Thank you for your email of 20 March regarding the Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC).

The government recognises that having qualified lorry and bus drivers is essential to us keeping essential goods and services moving at this time. We are aware that guidance on social distancing means that many of those drivers will not be able to maintain their driver qualification cards by undertaking the periodic training courses which they would normally attend.

We have announced that, where possible, those courses can be delivered remotely via video technology. We would encourage as many drivers as possible to maintain their qualifications through completion of such courses.

The Department is currently reviewing what other measures we can take to ensure that drivers can continue to work even if they are unable to complete their training and we will make further announcements on this shortly.

Sounds like they are considering all options. If this goes on for an extended period more and more drivers will be affected, but many will have renewed on the five year cycle last year. If it was affecting huge swathes of drivers they would probably make it more of a priority.

Issues may include how to differentiate between DQC cards that are due to lapse and people that simply haven’t done any CPC in years.

wept, are these your first 35hrs or is it renewals?

My CPC expired Sept 2019 just the same as the majority, but as I haven’t been driving trucks for the last 2 years I just didn’t bother with it, but started at the beginning of this year to get a new card, as already said I have 1 day to do tomorrow to complete the 35 hours, I was sceptical about getting the 3 days done, hence the email to DVLA.