DR10

When I was an assesor at DHL I would take someone after they had spent 5 years of their DR. The biggest problem you have is just having passed the LGV2. Most companies want experience. Its surprising how many people have DR, DD, CD, IN and MC codes who are also HGV drivers. You think they would be of a better standard. You got yours before you gained your HGV, so hopefully a valuable lesson has been learned.

pavaroti:

Bulla:
Do you think I’m wasting my time trying to find a driving job when I have a DR10 on my licence?

Do you think it’s best just to wait till it’s off my licence which will be in four years time?

What are your thoughts?

A pavaroti tip. BEFORE handing in your license to get points put on, report to dvla a lost license, getting a duplicate and then keeping your clean license for that all important interview. :wink:

As for having been daft enough to hand in your licence already. Well it would’nt stop me from working. Here in Glasgow as in most major citys theres still a few old school hauliers that would employ you if you were worth employing. I would also be looking at tipper firms maybe casual work with small hauliers just to top the giro till license clean or fulltime job. :slight_smile:

NEWS FLASH* pavaroti talking ■■■■■■■■, non shocker :unamused:

he’s asking for real advice on what to do, not how to make things worse for himself you pillock :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

with some of your recent postings on here, i would like to ask a you question

how old are you?

if you are actually old enough to drive, why don’t you try acting it for a change instead of being a total ■■■■■■■■ :unamused:

:laughing: :laughing: my advice is based on my experience within the haulage industry, sanctimonius girlymen may not like it, hardlife. :smiling_imp: :grimacing:

Better to be a cowboy than an indian. :wink: :grimacing:

Hiya …Id keep trying as i’ve said before you may be at a firm at the right moment…
i phoned a firm years ago with 6 points on my licence they asked how long had i driven
luckley 8yrs they said how quick can you get hear and would you go straight to scotland
(it was snowing a little in cheshire) yes to all questions took my kit and away…
in the next few weeks people was saying how did you get the job…i said i was there at
the right second… i did’nt have to work a weeks notice i was ready to go…it could happen
to you…
I got that job because a chap hated going to scotland he’d been at the company 10 years
and lost his job… the transport manager was sick of having a unreliable driver. one day
he cracked and the chap was out of the door…good luck keep trying…
theres one thing in my book you’ve lost your licence once and you now know how inportant
it is…your not going to loose it again…
John

pavaroti:
:lol: :laughing: my advice is based on my experience within the haulage industry, sanctimonius girlymen may not like it, hardlife. :smiling_imp: :grimacing:

Better to be a cowboy than an indian. :wink: :grimacing:

is your signature based on your personal experience too by talking about yourself?

stupid is as stupid does

ralph davis has a driver with a drink drive on his licence gave hime a job!

andi_cardiff:
I am pretty sure that it is classed as ‘spent’ after 5 years though?!

Not legally although it helps from an insurance point of view.

not an ideal start but crack on and try
Ta has given you green light with nallowing you licence

pavaroti:

Bulla:
Do you think I’m wasting my time trying to find a driving job when I have a DR10 on my licence?

Do you think it’s best just to wait till it’s off my licence which will be in four years time?

What are your thoughts?

A pavaroti tip. BEFORE handing in your license to get points put on, report to dvla a lost license, getting a duplicate and then keeping your clean license for that all important interview. :wink:

As for having been daft enough to hand in your licence already. Well it would’nt stop me from working. Here in Glasgow as in most major citys theres still a few old school hauliers that would employ you if you were worth employing. I would also be looking at tipper firms maybe casual work with small hauliers just to top the giro till license clean or fulltime job. :slight_smile:

but dont most firms do licence checks on a regular basis,ours are done without you needing to produce your actual licence,your idea may work for 3/6 months but eventually im sure theyll catch you out

bloke just applied where i work and my gaffer tried several companies to see if they would insure him and all said not a chance in hell.
we are a small company and i think thats where your problem will be. maybe more chance with the larger fleet companies where they have a good relationship with insurers.

moral is dont drink n drive.

Bulla:
yeah, i have 4 years left, done 7 years already.

I only passed my class 2 a couple of months ago so a new driver with a DR10 has no hope right?

Exactly right. You’ve just wasted £2k.

The employer doesn’t have to tell the insurer about it, the standard question on the proposal form is “Have you been convicted of any motoring offences in the last 5 years?”, to which the OP can answer “No”.

im struggling to get work aswell had a dr10 now that is 8 years old ive done tramping long haul night trunking day shift all types containers, but for some reason th last month i have found it difficult to get work im honest reliable never late got the dr10 after aa few pints with my mates when returned from afghan then drove home to get changed got stopped was only a few mil over but its been the biggest pain in my arse since, if anyone could help with a job or know off anyone who is looking for drivers much appreciated oh and if they are using the scania topling with the microwave and coffee maker even better any help grateful

I have been one of those bad stards who have done it. As Harry said most insurance forms only ask about the last five years to which you can truthfully answer no, but I always told the company at interview, otherwise you may get a start somewhere, until someone further down the food chain asks you for a photocopy of your dirty licence, then you may be in bother or jobless again.

In my experience it is the agencies and some large logistic companies who stipulate in their advertising, “No more than 6 points or any DR10”

When I went to Stobarts for DSA, they were not interested in my old DR10

Just a thought, if you are not in work now and you can afford it, you may as well do your DCPC as it will be already on the database for when you get it back in 2015

Your driver licence number will remain the same as before

Wheel Nut:
In my experience it is the agencies and some large logistic companies who stipulate in their advertising, “No more than 6 points or any DR10”

Very much the case; and as I said above, it’s usually because they themselves are restricted by their clients’ criteria as dictated to them by their insurers.

When taking on a new client, one of the questions an agency must ask is what the company’s policy is in this respect. It goes without saying that it has to be phrased carefully, no good asking them outright if they’ll take a driver with a DR10 or else it doesn’t make the agency look good, the inference being that they have drivers on their books with that conviction. Most companies tell you before you have to ask.

You’ll only have a chance with smaller firms and that is if they take a liking to you and are struggling for drivers. If you could get a mate to vouch for you at their firm, that may help.

it’s down to the person. everyone can ■■■■ up. your future boss knows this, he has probably cocked up a few times himself.
don’t tell them, that’s what i didn’t do. they can’t check with DVLA unless you give them permission, and no one has ever asked me for permission, apart from when i had to hire a car after customs stole my truck.
and anyway, havn’t you heard of cut and paste? :laughing:

limeyphil:
it’s down to the person. everyone can ■■■■ up. your future boss knows this, he has probably cocked up a few times himself.
don’t tell them, that’s what i didn’t do. they can’t check with DVLA unless you give them permission, and no one has ever asked me for permission, apart from when i had to hire a car after customs stole my truck.

Would this not make a difficult situation worse ? . If you have an accident and have failed to disclose your past history correctly , I thought this would make your insurance null and void .

limeyphil:

Each to their own Phil, but personally I wouldn’t want to work for any firm which didn’t take the most basic precaution of seeing my driving licence before I got behind the wheel.

limeyphil:

Yep, worked for me. I kept myself in work no problem, took it for granted in fact. :sunglasses: :grimacing:

Theres always an “IF” to stop some folk doing something. But those that can, do. :wink: :grimacing: