Finding a HGV 2 driver job following a DR10

Hi,

I recently got my HGV 2 license. Im 23 and unfortunately, being the immature idiot i was, got myself disqualified for drink driving 3 years ago. It has really come back and bitten me in the arse as i’ve had real trouble trying to get a job, my age being one thing and the drink driving another.

I just wanted some advice, if anyone has been in the same situation or know anyone that has.

Thanks,
Joe

how long does the dr10 stay on your license for?

ldg2009:

11 years, active for 10 years. Need not be declared after 5 years (Rehabitation of Offenders Act).

It’s difficult but there are some companies who may give you a chance! Most are probably dodgy though! :unamused:

where abouts you from?

ldg2009:

10 years I think.

I can’t find full time work and I have ADR, DCPC and Class 1. I prefer Class 2 work but nothing 'happening. So…
If I was you I’d try Agencies or maybe another job away from driving until your license is clear of this DR10.
Sympathy, nah, tough ■■■■.

dinosteveus1:

ldg2009:

10 years I think.

I can’t find full time work and I have ADR, DCPC and Class 1. I prefer Class 2 work but nothing 'happening. So…
If I was you I’d try Agencies or maybe another job away from driving until your license is clear of this DR10.
Sympathy, nah, tough [zb].

Richard Long are always taking on! :wink:

dessy:

dinosteveus1:

ldg2009:

10 years I think.

Sympathy, nah, tough [zb].

Richard Long are always taking on! :wink:

Seen loads of their units around, look like good bits of kit. :smiley:

Have you seen Ironstrippers post on the Richard Long thread on here?
He put some contact info for companies In East Anglia area! :wink:

ldg2009:
where abouts you from?

Kingston upon thames mate

Yeah, most companys i have spoken to wont touch me but have been told not to give up as there are firms out there, i just need to find them.

As your conviction is only 3 years old you have a way to go before you get a clean license (assuming you have no more errors of judgement).

I was in a similar boat 2 years ago. I had 14 points from 2 IN10 convictions. The right attitude to work hard got me through the door of a couple of agencies and I even got most of the way towards a full time job.

I agree with the sentiment of not giving up. Something will come.

Best of luck.

dar1976:
As your conviction is only 3 years old you have a way to go before you get a clean license (assuming you have no more errors of judgement).

I was in a similar boat 2 years ago. I had 14 points from 2 IN10 convictions. The right attitude to work hard got me through the door of a couple of agencies and I even got most of the way towards a full time job.

I agree with the sentiment of not giving up. Something will come.

Best of luck.

Thanks mate. Ive put a cv together and also going to write a cover letter and send it in to a few agencies and companys. They might get desperate. Ive been scaffolding for 6 years, so im very hard working as it is… Lets just hope some of these companys give me a chance. Once ive got my foot in the door it should (hopefully) get easier.

Joeerdilek:
Ive been scaffolding for 6 years, so im very hard working as it is… Lets just hope some of these companys give me a chance. Once ive got my foot in the door it should (hopefully) get easier.

Well, I would say a scaffolding firm would be the type of firm most likely to give you a start, driving a scaffold truck.

Incidentally, insurance firms only ask about convictions in the last five years.

Stick with the Scaffolding for a few years, until your at least 25 then try again. Or try and get on with a Scaffold company that use class 2 motors, they are more relaxed than Transport companies with DD convictions, they have to be as most proper Scaff`s have a least 1 DD conviction. As an ex scaff myself, you’re only 23, at that age Scaffolding is a better job & craic than driving.

Stays on your licence 11yrs in total. Don’t think you stand a chance to be honest. It would be hard for you as it is due to your young age but with the dr10 only being 3yrs old that makes it harder. So many drivers looking for work why would they take you on when there is more experienced drivers out of work. Hard but true!! Good luck

sorry but most agencies wont touch a dr10 or the vast majority of clients they could place you into. this plus being under 25 makes me think your best bet would be monday morning door knocking with all the kit you would require for maybe a week away, all it takes is a firm with a truck stood still and a driver stood in front for a chance to open up. to me a cv and letter wont open any doors as there are so many drivers looking for work out there.

Skip and tipper firms are always worth a try there premiums are high due to the nature of the work and often don’t have restrictions on age and convictions.

bluenose:
Stick with the Scaffolding for a few years, until your at least 25 then try again.

I said the same on another forum

HI Joeerdilek - I said you would get more responses on this site rather than the advanced driving one :smiley:

I know for a fact Ceva Logistics employ drivers with DD on their licence.

Get a job in the warehouse, once a driving job becomes available apply for it … it worked for my mate