Do American Trucks work well on uk roads

Uncleskid:
Isn’t there a place on A21 heading towards Hastings that has got several American trucks they use as recovery wagons

A few recovery firms use the american trucks i know CMG recovery have got one or two, seen a few others about as well.

I think most old american cars were simply too wide and impractical for UK roads too, was this one of the reasons for the remodeled hummer? as the original was too big the new one was suitable for a wider market?

There’s good reason’s we have the types of vehicles we do in the UK!

ringfur:
whata bout this yoke ?

+1
well the link from the pic does the damage for me…or does todays pc correct steering wheel attendant not go in for such things… :smiley:

RB84:

Uncleskid:
Isn’t there a place on A21 heading towards Hastings that has got several American trucks they use as recovery wagons

A few recovery firms use the american trucks i know CMG recovery have got one or two, seen a few others about as well.

I think most old american cars were simply too wide and impractical for UK roads too, was this one of the reasons for the remodeled hummer? as the original was too big the new one was suitable for a wider market?

The US Federal width limit is 2.6 m v 2.55 m here which is all very convenient for the Euro truck makers.Although the Volvo VN at least is made to 100 inch width which is within the UK width limit anyway.

As for American cars one of my regrets is having run a mixture of Brit and German cars over my driving lifetime.When,with the exception of the Ford Granada regards maintenance,going for American from the start instead would have been cheaper and easier to maintain with the win win of better residual values.While not every American motor was a massive barge with the mid size being a large range.On that note check out the prices of US classics in the UK market.While even the old full size Ford Crown Vic was only a few inches wider than a modern Jag XJ saloon and as close as makes no difference to other even larger exec barges,all being around 6 feet so not unmanageable.With the modern day range of US designs having downsized massively to the point where there’s little if any difference to their Euro counterparts now.

On that note putting a 302 or 351 V8 in the Mk 2 Granada would have been the best of all worlds and if I’d have done that I’d probably still be running one now. :frowning:

While I think there would possibly be a place in the UK market for some cab over Australian KW K 200 imports,maybe even local production,at least if the type approval situation was freed up to allow it.

Excalibus:
hart attack

Thought that was a kids tv programme in the 80’s with Morph?

Ken.

If you were going to run a Yank you would need something fairly high weight and high density on the back. If you look at your run of the mill 'Bilt or Freightliner you have a similar rear boggie to a Euro double drive, a much bigger catwalk area, then a big sleeper area and cockpit, then the same again at least of engine out front before a good 9 inches of chrome front bumper. Put that on. A standard 13.5m trailer and you are well over C&U regs for length. You need a shorter trailer so you won’t fit on a standard load over here, which means you are earning lower rates.

I’m no expert on Yank tank mpg figures but I would also be surprised if you would be getting anywhere near the mpg of a UK spec wagon of similar vintage. The US has just never had the same long term pressure on at the pump prices we’ve had.

Finally, when Sadiq finally decides what vision and emissions standards he wants and forces us to comply, good luck hitting the target in a Yank.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Carryfast:

RB84:

Uncleskid:

The US Federal width limit is 2.6 m v 2.55 m here which is all very convenient for the Euro truck makers.Although the Volvo VN at least is made to 100 inch width which is within the UK width limit anyway.

As for American cars one of my regrets is having run a mixture of Brit and German cars over my driving lifetime.When,with the exception of the Ford Granada regards maintenance,going for American from the start instead would have been cheaper and easier to maintain with the win win of better residual values.While not every American motor was a massive barge with the mid size being a large range.On that note check out the prices of US classics in the UK market.While even the old full size Ford Crown Vic was only a few inches wider than a modern Jag XJ saloon and as close as makes no difference to other even larger exec barges,all being around 6 feet so not unmanageable.With the modern day range of US designs having downsized massively to the point where there’s little if any difference to their Euro counterparts now.

On that note putting a 302 or 351 V8 in the Mk 2 Granada would have been the best of all worlds and if I’d have done that I’d probably still be running one now. :frowning:

While I think there would possibly be a place in the UK market for some cab over Australian KW K 200 imports,maybe even local production,at least if the type approval situation was freed up to allow it.

There were Granada and capris built in South Africa with the 302 engine.
A few have found there way over here in recent years

kr79:
There were Granada and capris built in South Africa with the 302 engine.
A few have found there way over here in recent years

I’ve seen some of them at classic shows and they were great motors and a shame Ford didn’t offer the option here.A BMW killer in the day and being good old fashioned pushrod easy to work on and as cheap as chips to fix and with values now to match.This one has to be my favourite old school Ford of all time.

youtube.com/watch?v=FUpnxotJUHw

Yeah surprising especially as they was already been built

American trucks don’t work well anywhere, especially in the USA LOL. They are all mostly piles of crap, extra wide turning circles and way behind in technology, I drive one of the most up to date American trucks, the Freightliner Cascadia, the dash is almost the same layout and design as the FH12 I drove in 1994, the gear box is a Fuller Road Ranger crash box, made virtually obsolete in Europe in the late 80’s, it has air suspension that only lowers and will not raise the trailer in the case that it is loaded heavy and the legs are down too far, it seems that here in the USA air suspension that also lifts the trailer to enable you to wind the legs up easier has not been invented yet and nobody here believes me when I tell them such things exist LOL.
In short, don’t throw your money away on a useless pile of junk.

kr79:

Probably not Ford’s problem in that like the Granada all the Zephyr Zodiac range before it were obviously designed for V8’s to be fitted in them easily.More like it went along the lines of the Conservative government didn’t like the idea of the working class getting ahead of themselves and Labour being car hating commies and thereby both leaning on Ford not to follow the idea of the Pilot.With a similar situation at Vauxhall regarding the Cresta and Ventora. :frowning: While the implications for the established Brit manufacturers in the day were also obvious.IE Ford and GM/Vauxhall would have cleaned up in the domestic performance car market including Police sales. :bulb:

youtube.com/watch?v=VYSsVfUMgF0

Uncleskid:

Mick Gould. You can’t beat a nice wrecker

9002891402_f47727770f_b.jpg

The idiots early in thread, yep have seen yank trucks on UK roads, you not noticed even the vechiles used to pick up your dead waggon bear a strikking resembalance to a yankee truck, how seasoned are you?

If you’re referring to my ‘seasoned’ remark about your ignorance I have to say I don’t drive trucks, least not any longer … IDIOT !! edit … and your spolling is atrosis !!

raymundo:
If you’re referring to my ‘seasoned’ remark about your ignorance I have to say I don’t drive trucks, least not any longer … IDIOT !! edit … and your spolling is atrosis !!

check yours ■■■■■■…

PS forum dont have automattic spell check, if I could spell I’d be working far less hours for far more money Driving a desk, Instead I drive a mobile greenhouse, and my aircon is opening both windows…

Quinny:

Excalibus:
hart attack

Thought that was a kids tv programme in the 80’s with Morph?

Ken.

Morph has got more about him than this clown

Excalibus:

raymundo:

check yours ■■■■■■…

PS forum dont have automattic spell check, if I could spell I’d be working far less hours for far more money Driving a desk, Instead I drive a mobile greenhouse, and my aircon is opening both windows…

And straight back in with the insults.

Too easy.

why on earth would you want an American cab,why not get your class1 get a Volvo,DAF,scania,do container work as a subbie,you can earn decent money on a good week[so i’m told]and why mention shipping wars,thats all fixed,if they really earned that kind of money they would go bust whithin a month or two.

Excalibus:

raymundo:

check yours ■■■■■■…

I think you will find Excalibus that Raymundo is being sarcastic in his reply so does not need to check his,[think about it]

Carryfast:

RB84:

Uncleskid:

there is a guy in Bracknell who has a Mk1 Granada with a V8 mustang engine under the bonnet,very nice

Carryfast:

kr79:

Probably not Ford’s problem in that like the Granada all the Zephyr Zodiac range before it were obviously designed for V8’s to be fitted in them easily.More like it went along the lines of the Conservative government didn’t like the idea of the working class getting ahead of themselves and Labour being car hating commies and thereby both leaning on Ford not to follow the idea of the Pilot.With a similar situation at Vauxhall regarding the Cresta and Ventora. :frowning: While the implications for the established Brit manufacturers in the day were also obvious.IE Ford and GM/Vauxhall would have cleaned up in the domestic performance car market including Police sales. :bulb:

youtube.com/watch?v=VYSsVfUMgF0

that would be my dream with a lotto/euro win,buy 2 granadas[2.8i Ghia x]fully restore both to showroom condition[cost no object]but have one with a V8 under the bonnet and the boot would have a V8 badge where the normal 2.8 badge is,maybe Granada V8 Ghia x,lovely jubbly as Del boy would say