Trucking questions

i have 2 questions for those out there they are

1. can i go to america and drive a truck on the highways of america on my class 1 english licence

2. are there any companies in america running english style trucks ( scania / daf /and volvo or do they use just usa type motors cheers for any help lester

bulkerb:
i have 2 questions for those out there they are

1. can i go to america and drive a truck on the highways of america on my class 1 english licence

2. are there any companies in america running english style trucks ( scania / daf /and volvo or do they use just usa type motors cheers for any help lester

1. As a rule no. You may be able to get a localised DMV exemption for a quick spin with a training school for assessment purposes but that would depend on which state you are in. DMVs differ greatly from state to state.

2. Generally they all run Happy Pats favourite homegrown kit. (well by homemade of course I mean slapped together in Canoodlia or Messico). Some local straight trucks (rigids) have cabs of euro origins but very Amercanian workings under them.

I resent that comment :cry:

Bulkerb, you should look through the posts on here before asking shuch questions my friend. NO ! you can’t come here and drive on a UK HGV licence, You can get dispensation if you are over here with a European truck for a show or something but thats only for about a couple of weeks and then ofcours you have to bring the show truck with you. Even racing teams that come here have to hire US drivers.
You also need a green card before they will even think about giving you a learners permit and no company can employ any imigrant without one, they aslo can’t get you one, you need to have a very close relative who is a US citizen before you can apply for a green card.

Cut him some slack Pat,probably a kid from the Forest of Dean.Put yourself in his shoes and you’d be looking for a way out also :laughing: .

Actually im 52 years old and not a in bred from the forest and have over 30 years experience driving artics so dont need some old ■■■■ being condesending when all i did was ask a simple question if you dont like what i asked then simply dont reply cheers for nothing lester

bulkerb:
Actually im 52 years old and not a in bred from the forest and have over 30 years experience driving artics so dont need some old ■■■■ being condesending when all i did was ask a simple question if you dont like what i asked then simply dont reply cheers for nothing lester

Lester,

It may appear condescending…but the same question has been asked a thousand times before, that’s why the answer may have been a little curt. There is a search feature on this forum, you could’ve saved yourself a lot of time by using it and finding out the answer to your question without upsetting our resident grouch :laughing: :laughing:

Pat is British and has an American Wife, so he knows all the trials and tribulations associated with a Brit getting a green card, it was rather a painful process and took some time, so his reply does answer your question.

Was your question related to anything in particular, or was it a general enquiry :question: There are other options if you’re thinking of moving across the pond, the second largest country in the world lies just to the north of the US and they love Brits up there, they even have a province that is for inbreds of all kinds, it’s called Saskatchewan :wink:

Sod your comments NMM,just makes me laugh every time “THE FOREST” is mentioned people immediately assume inbreds :laughing: :laughing: .

flat to the mat:
Sod your comments NMM,just makes me laugh every time “THE FOREST” is mentioned people immediately assume inbreds :laughing: :laughing: .

Forests, mountains and any state or province in the prairies have similar reputations, might be something in it too, the Steinbach phone book only had five surnames in it until BFS started bring in Brits :laughing:

Thanks Mark, I didn’t mean to sound sharp in my answer as you say… I just get loads of messages ever week wasking the same question and if you scroll down this section you will see a few such posts before.
Actually it was a total of 18 months unemployed before I was granted my green card and at one point I was actually detained by INS at the Canadian border for 3 hours because my then visitors visa only had 4 days left on it… Not a happy memory.

Pat Hasler:
Thanks Mark, I didn’t mean to sound sharp in my answer as you say… I just get loads of messages ever week wasking the same question and if you scroll down this section you will see a few such posts before.
Actually it was a total of 18 months unemployed before I was granted my green card and at one point I was actually detained by INS at the Canadian border for 3 hours because my then visitors visa only had 4 days left on it… Not a happy memory.

I would have just banged you up for the fun of it :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: picking on the poor fellow he not been here long nasty Pat lol I did pretty much the same thing when I hadnt been here long and looking at jumping this side of the pond but hey ho live and learn

just to clear things up firstly i will take on board the comments of using the search bar to try and find answers to my own questions so that way grumpy old english men are not offended by people like me
secondly no i am not looking to move to the states as i am happy with my way of life here in england if i wanted less payed holidays wanted to work more hours each week and spend more time away from my home then i will post my intentions on here.
i just wanted information as i am trying to make my idea a reality no more no less cheers lester

bulkerb:
just to clear things up firstly i will take on board the comments of using the search bar to try and find answers to my own questions so that way grumpy old english men are not offended by people like me
secondly no i am not looking to move to the states as i am happy with my way of life here in england if i wanted less payed holidays wanted to work more hours each week and spend more time away from my home then i will post my intentions on here.
i just wanted information as i am trying to make my idea a reality no more no less cheers lester

On long haul you work less hours for more money if worked right

taffytrucker:
On long haul you work less hours for more money if worked right

Good luck with that :open_mouth:

You can earn decent money on long haul, but not if you don’t put the hours in :open_mouth: Mileage based pay means that you need to have the wheels turning to be earning :open_mouth:

The big money jobs are never at trucking companies, you want to earn really good money you need to get a job driving for someone that uses trucks to haul their own products around, so the trucking side is a secondary part of the business :bulb: The big logistics players have yet to carve up all the jobs here, so there are still some own account firms around, these are where you’ll earn the big bucks :wink:

:smiley: Well said that man,it’s even better when the raw material cost is zero.

I was going to use you as an example, you’ve had a few driving jobs at non trucking companies now.

Moving freight from A to B is too cut throat to be able to pay the right rate for the job, so the decent money is always away from general haulage, always has been, always will be, wherever you are in the world, the niche work always pays better :wink:

By all means use me as an example,but not the standard.Wifey will vouch for that :unamused: My oppo driving partner was raised in Dog River(Corner Gas) and is quite proud of the fact that at one time he was related to 70% of the towns population :exclamation: Eeeewwww :laughing:

Bulkerb,are you planning a Round the World Trip?
I looked into the idea of driving back to the UK from Canada when I retire.[ Ferry from San Diego to Hong Kong, then the Silk Route through to Istanbul ] From what I understand of the situation: If you drive a vehicle into a country and the licence you hold is for the country of your vehicles registration then it is a valid licence.

ChrisArbon:
Bulkerb,are you planning a Round the World Trip?
I looked into the idea of driving back to the UK from Canada when I retire.[ Ferry from San Diego to Hong Kong, then the Silk Route through to Istanbul ] From what I understand of the situation: If you drive a vehicle into a country and the licence you hold is for the country of your vehicles registration then it is a valid licence.

Oh that’s a shame that you’ll be leaving Canada so soon Chris :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I’m not going until they have tarmac-ed the Mongolia bit as I don’t want to drive the Thunderbird on dirt roads.

ChrisArbon:
I’m not going until they have tarmac-ed the Mongolia bit as I don’t want to drive the Thunderbird on dirt roads.

What T-Bird? I saw a new shape one in one of Cooper’s pictures, is that yours?