Trucking questions

ChrisArbon:
Bulkerb,are you planning a Round the World Trip?
I looked into the idea of driving back to the UK from Canada when I retire.[ Ferry from San Diego to Hong Kong, then the Silk Route through to Istanbul ] From what I understand of the situation: If you drive a vehicle into a country and the licence you hold is for the country of your vehicles registration then it is a valid licence.

Just to make it really interesting and confuse him even more.This is some of the regs and/or more or less also what is theoretically possible.

1. It’s even possible to run between Europe and North America under TIR.But.A european type approval compliant wagon won’t be legal for hauling freight,for hire and reward,into and out of the States on temporary entry under DOT regs.Except for temporary entry of own account non hire and reward type trucks and/or own account exhibition type jobs in which the load is only on temporary entry together with the truck.

2. A DOT compliant wagon won’t (or at least wouldn’t) pass a UK MOT.Whereas a DOT compliant wagon is allowed temporary entry here for hire and reward haulage purposes.

I gave up the idea years ago at point 2 when I found out how much ACL wanted to ship a truck Ro Ro across the Atlantic each way. :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

But other than that there’s absolutely no way that a British driver can drive a truck in Canada or the US on a British licence,or even work legally in the States anyway,because truck driving isn’t one of the jobs subject to green card allocation which was also the case in Canada not so long ago.

If you are coming to the USA and Canada with a Uk registered HGV, it would be advisable to have it covered by a TIR TripTych book that was valid for the North America region. Driving it on a UK licence would not be a problem. The only Green Card that you would need is an I 94 [ visa waiver ]; which costs $6 and is valid for up to 90 days.

The type of HGV that Bulkerb should bring for his trip is a Class 8 Motorhome conversion.

newmercman:

ChrisArbon:
I’m not going until they have tarmac-ed the Mongolia bit as I don’t want to drive the Thunderbird on dirt roads.

What T-Bird? I saw a new shape one in one of Cooper’s pictures, is that yours?

Yes, it’s mine. I had to get something to pee-off Mr. R and his 5.0 litre faster than thou Mustang.

You done me a right favour there Chris, my dear wife, bless her, wanted that, saved me a fortune you have :sunglasses:

All the ladies love a white Thunderbird, a real chick-magnet.

Mine is the one at the back.

bulkerb:
just to clear things up firstly i will take on board the comments of using the search bar to try and find answers to my own questions so that way grumpy old english men are not offended by people like me
secondly no i am not looking to move to the states as i am happy with my way of life here in england if i wanted less payed holidays wanted to work more hours each week and spend more time away from my home then i will post my intentions on here.
i just wanted information as i am trying to make my idea a reality no more no less cheers lester

I like this man … the comment about less holidays and longer hours is very true :laughing:

For the life of me I can’t understand why anyone in their right mind wants to come to the USA to drive a truck ? I live here because my wife and daughter are US citizens, I tried other jobs first because I didn’t want to go back to truck driving. Unfortunately 'Car salesman didn’t work out because I was too honest to cheat and lie, the other jobs around here pay rubbish and I can’t afford to support the family on the crap they pay.

well i take it back pat hassler is not a total miserable ex english grumpy git he even has a little bit of english humor still inside him any way i gave up truck driving for 7 years i hated it really thats the nondriving jobs then i went to alaska last march ice road trucking it was truly amasing and for me a privalige but way to stressful to do full time.
i ask these questions so that 1 i can get smarter and 2 i can make my dream a reality and with out knowing it, it will in part be down to you

bulkerb:
well i take it back pat hassler is not a total miserable ex english grumpy git

BS :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

He a good guy really :confused: :confused:

Thanks Taffy… and I don’t believe a word Newmercman say’s about you :wink:
Anyway ! It’s a different story for you in Canada, there are proper holidays and healthcare there mate.

bulkerb:
well i take it back pat hassler is not a total miserable ex english grumpy git he even has a little bit of english humor still inside him any way i gave up truck driving for 7 years i hated it really thats the nondriving jobs then i went to alaska last march ice road trucking it was truly amasing and for me a privalige but way to stressful to do full time.
i ask these questions so that 1 i can get smarter and 2 i can make my dream a reality and with out knowing it, it will in part be down to you

How did you manage to do the Ice roads in AK?

Doesn’t the Green Card thing (or lack thereof) get in the way?

Well there we have it

bulkerb:
Well there we have it

We do :question:

I’m glad that’s all cleared up then :laughing:

Pat Hasler:
Thanks Taffy… and I don’t believe a word Newmercman say’s about you :wink:
Anyway ! It’s a different story for you in Canada, there are proper holidays and healthcare there mate.

Its probs all true anyway pat lol

bulkerb:

Ask some more questions then.

BTW: Did you take any snaps on the ice roads, and did you manage to meet Lisa?

Yes there are videos on you tube yes i have loads of photos and yrs i met lisa jack phol carey the hole lot of them i rode and drove with a few had the camera crew in my cab when i was with phol kromm and after the truck show at shepton mallet this year lisa kelly and i had dinner together and a lovely chat there all nice people

Yes there are videos on you tube yes i have loads of photos and yrs i met lisa jack phol carey the hole lot of them i rode and drove with a few had the camera crew in my cab when i was with phol kromm and after the truck show at shepton mallet this year lisa kelly and i had dinner together and a lovely chat there all nice people

This is exactly my point about Ice road trucking being a pile of poop. No real hard working truck driver can afford to mess about filming and re-filming set up shots, from the bits I have actually seen of the show those driver would have gone bust after a couple of weeks :laughing:
There is nothing ‘Real’ about that reallity show :laughing:
So how come nobody on here has seen you on the show then ?

I can see why alaskans speak about drivers from the lower 48 in the way they do.
clearly some have no idea what its like to live, work,and drive there and as far as the tv show goes its up to the producers who go’s on tv any ways i did it, have you probably not? and if you have not then how can you comment on some thing you know nothing about

I can why alaskans speak about drivers from the lower 48 most clwarly have no idea what its like yo live and work drive there and ifs up to the produceds who gos on tv any ways i done have you probably not and if not how can you comment on some thing you no nothing about

Hi all.Bulkerb,you certainly seem to have the requisite literacy skills to fit right in on the I.R.T.If you also possess the same degree of humility,diplomacy and professionalism as the rest of those ‘‘nice people’’ i’m surprised Carlyle didn’t offer you a job as manager. :open_mouth:
Unfortunately I.R.T.is one of those ‘‘reality’’ shows which has little to do with reality. :frowning:
Yes,i have also worked in North America.The whole of Canada is an ‘‘ice road’’ in the winter and most of the guys that drive in the winter are just normal,hardworking professionals.I worked out of Tuktoyaktuk,Kugluktuk and spent some time at C.F.S.Alert.During the time i was there i can say that i have the greatest admiration for anyone,anywhere,who drives any kind of ‘‘ice\winter’’ roads.Unfortunately i am not on Utube and did not have a camera team with me so am quite insignificant as a ‘‘real’’ I.R.T. :cry:
I met Hugh in 1991 and was not impressed with him then,and i’m afraid time has done nothing to improve my opinion.
Having a macdonalds with Lisa is not the culinary high point of the year either.