UK trucker wants to drive in the US

:question: I’ve been a trucker in the UK for about 13 years now and getting totally fed up of driving in this country, roadworks every 50 miles, too much traffic and the driving standards…well…are there any. After several holidays to the US and Canada mostly on the west side I actually find driving over thet relaxing.
So is it possible to go and drive a truck in the US.

I realise there will probably be a lot of sorting out to be done if indeed it is possible. If anybody could give me some “in & outs” I would be greatful. Things like:-
Do I need a work permit or visa?
Will I ned training from a trucking company first?
Is it really worth all the hassell?

There will be many other questions but if there is anybody out ther who has gone accross the pond I would be most welcome of any feedback.

See this thread: http://trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6613 to find out about work visas.

Paul

Frankly, I can’t imagine why you’d want to work here. Drivers here work long hours and fudge the books in order to make deliveries. Truckstops are fithy, and the general populace looks at drivers as being about a half-step above garbagemen on the social spectrum.

AlexxInNY:
Frankly, I can’t imagine why you’d want to work here. Drivers here work long hours and fudge the books in order to make deliveries. Truckstops are fithy, and the general populace looks at drivers as being about a half-step above garbagemen on the social spectrum.

About the same as here then Alex, but you seem to have a better lifestyle and much better roads in general. Worse Trucks I grant you. :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

NO ! NO ! NO! Dafmad :laughing: the roads over here are terrible, oh how I love it when I come back there each year and drive on smooth surfaces without hitting 6 inch deep potholes at 70 mph, or driving along I 495 in MA which is so bad it’s like a terrible rollercoaster with things of evry description bouncing off flat beds.
Driving a truck in the Uk and Europe is far better and as for truckstops, the ones here can’t compare to over there. I was watching a programe a week or so back “The Top Ten Truckstops of the World” 7 were in the US, 1 was in Canada, one in Indonesia, the worlds number 1 was in Germany :exclamation: :exclamation:

It was an American programe

God forbid if you need to drive anywhere near Detroit…

Seriously, though-most OTR drivers are out for 2-3 weeks at a time. Truckstop food here is awful, coffee is awful, drivers are awful, etc.

It does seem a romantic thing to do granted, and my ambition is to pilot a motor coast to coast, there and back take in the scenery and get on a containership back home, and that’d do me.

Since 1980 when I started driving HGV, the only thing I ever wanted to go and drive in the US and live there. But I cured meself of wanting to drive a truck in the US full time completely when I got the internet, simply by looking at all the websites of the firms, and listening to the blokes that do it day in day out over there.

I soon come to the conclusion im better off here! To make a living over there seemed like the type of stuff we did in the early 80,s spurs and hat job I mean, and I wouldnt like to go back to that!

You know, the Russians are completing the trans-Siberian highway. In a few years, you’ll be able to truck all the way to Vladivostok on paved roads. That sounds like an adventure…

Well, it comes to a fine thing when the dirt roads over here are smoother than many of the paved ones… but out here it’s true. At least my local county can get around to fixing them now and again. I29 is like a roller coaster! Lumps and bumps all over the shop, for mile after mile after mile…
The food isn’t so bad as they say, well not here anyway. I’ve eaten at the Simonson truckstop in Grand Forks and the Hook (Flying J to you lot) in Fargo, and found the food to be perfectly acceptable. But I agree, some of the places I’ve been I wouldn’t even go to the loo if i didn’t have to… Then again, I’ve been to places just as bad back home…
Win some, lose some…
Can’t get tea here, only real choc is rolos which are imported, US snacks seem to consist mainly of fluffy cakes and teh bread tastes lousy.
Sodas are cheap as are the smokes… Hrm… anyone got a coin to hand?? :laughing:

allikat:
Can’t get tea here, only real choc is rolos which are imported, US snacks seem to consist mainly of fluffy cakes and teh bread tastes lousy.
Sodas are cheap as are the smokes… Hrm… anyone got a coin to hand?? :laughing:

You must be WAY in the middle of nowhere :laughing: . The tea is different… but we do HAVE it… the trick is to use 2 bags instead of one… that should make up the difference for ya… and I’m gonna just ignore the ‘real choc’ comment… thats a matter of preference… but if you’re looking for sickly sweet, way too creamy, makes ya wanna puke british chocolate… Cadbury’s here isn’t much different than in the UK… and the Hershey’s Symphony bars are pretty close too… but make sure its Symphony… you guys don’t seem to like regular hershey’s. Try a larger supermarket chain if ya can get to one. They usually have international sections where you can find items similar to the ones you’re used to in the UK…even tea… just have to know where to look. I’ve been able to locate all sorts of things for patrick just by looking in places I had no reason to look in before. And if you can’t find snacks that aren’t fluffy cakes then I don’t know where you shop. There’s a vast array of junk food out there… lol :stuck_out_tongue: . I will concede on the bread though… I’ve never had better bread than when I was in the UK… even the cheap “crap” bread over there is delicious, good thing too, or I’d starve to death while I was there…just have to bring my own peanut butter… cause ya just can’t get edible peanut butter in the UK :wink: lol. Its all about what you’re used to… your taste buds will adjust… Patricks have for the most part.

Yes, I am WAY in the middle of nowhere. Nearest “Gas stations” are six miles away north, and 11 miles south, and there is nothing closer than that. It’s around 20 miles north to a decent sized supermarket, and about 25 south to Grand Forks, which has plenty of choice.
I will try your tip about 2 bags in the mug.
Glad you agree about the bread. I tried a variety of brands up here, and never really liked any of them. Way too yeasty, and so much fluff in them it’s untrue. Put a decent sandwich in it, and it disintegrates.
The vast array of US junk food, (Much of which I adore by the way) is available in Grand Forks, and, as soon as my poor van gets going again (anyone have any idea where to find the fuel filter on a '78 chevrolet van with a 350ci v8 petrol engine?) I’ll go stuff myself silly on it (which won’t take long)

AlexxInNY:
You know, the Russians are completing the trans-Siberian highway. In a few years, you’ll be able to truck all the way to Vladivostok on paved roads. That sounds like an adventure…

That would be fun, as a one off!

id just like to own a big peterbilt with loadsa chrome .i know im sad but its somthing different ive never wanted to drive one for a living over in the states.theres a guy over here called paul scase and he owns a 379 with double eagle sleeper and he shows it allover europe :laughing:

I LOVE my Peterbilt 379. Granted it’s not a Scania or a Volvo, mind you the cab is TINY, & I mean TINY!! I can touch the passenger side window without stretching :open_mouth:
But it makes up for it in the sleeper. If I knew how to upload my photo’s, I’d show you the one i’m driving.
2004: 435bhp Cat engine, 70mph on the pedal, 63 on cruise

Those trucks are ok for highway driving, but they ■■■■ when it comes to manouvering :confused:

Thats why I like my Volvo :slight_smile: I can get into places in one go that takes all the others half a dozen shunts. There is one call I sometimes make in Providence that is in a very tight back street, I pull up and back in first time every time, I always get an audience, other guys refuse to even try it :exclamation:
The boss there (Mob) asked me “Where d’ya learn ta do that ?”
“Were did I learn to do what ?”
“Back into there in one go” he said.
“The only place I could learn to back into there, is there” I said :laughing: