Display of O licence disc

Out of curiosity have the rules on display changed e.g. no longer need to display as its all done online as ved (road tax) discs? I did have a quick look online but couldn’t see anything that it had.

I was going to defect notice a vehicle and was told it had changed. It wasn’t a hired truck either, was 2 years old. A very large operator too.

if the truck has only been acquired then they can run it for 28 days till disc arrives as far as i know

Not the drivers problem, let it lie

Not sure the previous post is true

IIRC there are 4 items that are legally required to be displayed in the cab -

Height Board (or whatever they use)
No smoking sign (should be square and a certain size)
Tacho validation sticker (with dates etc)
Operator licence

If any of these are missing then the vehicle should be defected

If I am wrong please tell me but as of the end of last year I was correct

Sand Fisher:
Out of curiosity have the rules on display changed e.g. no longer need to display as its all done online as ved (road tax) discs? I did have a quick look online but couldn’t see anything that it had.

I was going to defect notice a vehicle and was told it had changed. It wasn’t a hired truck either, was 2 years old. A very large operator too.

How do you know a 2 year old truck isn’t hired? The spot hire ones we’ve got in are 65 plates with 200k on.

good_friend:

Operator licence

When I got a tug by DVSA not only did I not have the disc in the window, but the company didn’t have an operators licence. DVSA man said it wasn’t my responsibility and that it wasn’t my problem. I’m sure someone will be able to show the regs if they look, I’ll just take his word for it.

definitely dont defect a truck cos its not showing an O licence disc…what moron would do that.!!

good_friend:

Operator licence

If a speed limiter is fitted, I’m pretty sure there has to be a sticker somewhere telling the driver what speed it’s set to

Harry Monk didn’t need a no smoking sign either!

Conor:

Sand Fisher:

How do you know a 2 year old truck isn’t hired? The spot hire ones we’ve got in are 65 plates with 200k on.

Well first of all it was painted in the operators livery a bit of a giveaway if it was 2 years old. More concerned about they giving me bs to be honest. If they set the processes then we can expect to follow them and if they don’t…well we did try.

It can take a lot longer than 28 days for an O licence disc to come through for a new motor.

Height indicator and a no smoking sign are not a legal requirement, and who the hell would defect them if they wernt present.

Concretejim:
Height indicator and a no smoking sign are not a legal requirement, and who the hell would defect them if they wernt present.

I don’t know who you drive for and it isn’t relevant in itself but if it is on the driver’s checklist and it doesn’t comply then I’ll defect it. Not to do so would be not following due process. In the OP it is on their checklist - Gist actually - and I defected it, to be told it wasn’t a defect as DVSA had changed the rules.

So far no one has posted an answer to the question - has the rule changed or not. Appears no one knows.

Concretejim:
Height indicator and a no smoking sign are not a legal requirement

Are you sure? I’m a bit too drunk to find a source, but definitely recall that any vehicle over 3.0m needs the height in the cab (though I’ve driven buses where it’s just been scrawled on the dash in tipex - no idea whether that’s legal but it does the job!)

If it’s a workplace it needs a no smoking sign. People have been fined for this commercialfleet.org/news/20 … ign/46112/
That said, it’s the employer’s responsibility to display it

I changed a vehicle at the start of the month, yes you have to apply for the disk online as the are no paper forms anymore (only just gone in the last couple of months), less that a week later the disk arrived in the post.
Why would they send a o licence disk if you didn`t need to display it?

gone are the days when you can put a fiver under the logbook and it was sure to pass the mot worked for me a few years running , got my Albion Clydesdale through , no smoking signs. or any of that crap you have nowadays.

I’m sure it’s a thing driver can’t be done for as like insurance it’s assumed the driver accepts in good faith it’s insured and o licence is valid

The requirement for height information has been law for quite some time ,as has no smoking , since the smoking ban came in .
You have a time limit on not displaying the O licence, if its a hire vehicle there is a time limit , if it’s a long term hire then after a certain time it has to be included on the licence.
I got pulled at Ferrybridge as he couldn’t see an O licence displayed, hire vehicle . This resulted in the full inspection but loads of sour faces as the vehicle was only 3 weeks old , less than 1500kms on the clock , 200kg under weight and no infringements on the card .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Concretejim:

Would you like a bog roll or a breath mint?

[i I asked this question last year as seen loads without them, and was told it is still a requirement. Think the way you can now add and remove vehicles online means they can see if it’s on a operators licence thus given the requirement for the licence disk a by ball.