Dents of Spennymoor

Hi All,

You’re right Bill - many a time I have been away with Dad and he’s had the motor down lanes narrower than the wagon with one set of wheels up on the verge to get to a farm.

Good to hear from you Mac

On a similar subject, me and Dad were coming up the road one afternoon back to Spenny when we got stopped on the AI/A64 junction before it was motorway. The reason was due to an accident between a DAF of David McCune’s of Aycliffe and a F10 belonging to Thompsons of Crowle who used to lead out of Scunthorpe.

As we were near the front of the queue, we heard from one of the coppers that the McCunes motor was in front of Thompsons when some ropes and straps fell off the catwalk, got caught around the propshaft and airtanks, tightened up and ripped the airtanks off the chassis (they were still lying on the road).

The sudden loss of air pressure caused the DAF’s brakes to come on bringing it to a sudden stop in the inside lane. The Thompsons driver behind had to brake sharp and managed not to hit the McCunes wagon, but the momentum of the deceleration caused the steel girders on the trailer to break from the chains, plough through the headboard and smash into the back of the cab. Being a Volvo, the force of the impact knocked the cab off its rear mounts causing the cab to pivot right over with the windscreen/top front edge of the cab coming to rest on the tarmac, with it still attached to the chassis on its front mounts. The only visible damage to the F10 was a smashed windscreen and a large, but shallow dent in the back of the cab…the driver walked away with cuts and bruises. Try that in a Seddon Atki!

Darren.

Hi all, just been watching Heartbeat on TV, a guy got his Ford Custom cab filled up with diesel for 3pound16 shillings. Those were the days boys.
Old Bill

went to milton keynes tuesday morning, filled up with fuel at a local garage £1.32.9 per litre

pulled into newport pagnall just to stretch my legs, (cant afford to buy owt at them places)

i noticed the fuel was £1.47.9 per litre, a whopping 15p per litre more :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :unamused:

dm7301:
Hi All,

You’re right Bill - many a time I have been away with Dad and he’s had the motor down lanes narrower than the wagon with one set of wheels up on the verge to get to a farm.

Good to hear from you Mac

On a similar subject, me and Dad were coming up the road one afternoon back to Spenny when we got stopped on the AI/A64 junction before it was motorway. The reason was due to an accident between a DAF of David McCune’s of Aycliffe and a F10 belonging to Thompsons of Crowle who used to lead out of Scunthorpe.

As we were near the front of the queue, we heard from one of the coppers that the McCunes motor was in front of Thompsons when some ropes and straps fell off the catwalk, got caught around the propshaft and airtanks, tightened up and ripped the airtanks off the chassis (they were still lying on the road).

The sudden loss of air pressure caused the DAF’s brakes to come on bringing it to a sudden stop in the inside lane. The Thompsons driver behind had to brake sharp and managed not to hit the McCunes wagon, but the momentum of the deceleration caused the steel girders on the trailer to break from the chains, plough through the headboard and smash into the back of the cab. Being a Volvo, the force of the impact knocked the cab off its rear mounts causing the cab to pivot right over with the windscreen/top front edge of the cab coming to rest on the tarmac, with it still attached to the chassis on its front mounts. The only visible damage to the F10 was a smashed windscreen and a large, but shallow dent in the back of the cab…the driver walked away with cuts and bruises. Try that in a Seddon Atki!

Darren.

Anyone remember Maurice Robertshores accident in a F88 at Dishforth? Very similar to this story.

Just heard Harry Lightfoot past away yesterday. He drove for Dents in the early 60’s. Later he managed a few hotels,the Redhills at Durham, the Crossways at Thornley, the Boyne at Langley Moor, the Railway Tavern at Shincliffe,(the birds were singing before i got out of them on a Saturday night),

He then started Durham City Coaches, now operated by his son, Michael.
Ken

me and harry.jpg

HI Guys, Just heard that John Willetts is seriously ill with pancreatic cancer, I’m sure that we would all like to wish him all the best.
Old Bill

has anyone got the date and venue for the annual get-together

i think maybe 27th at the BLACK HORSE but not sure

The 27th December About 1 o’clock I was told
Old bill

Hi a couple of photos took outside of the Liverpool depot, about 1964.
Arthur Whitley , the Liverpool manager, Anti Claughan, and the local driver.
Me sitting in 697EUP Anti’s motor.

l1.jpg

l'pool.jpg

dents todhoe.jpg

Hi Larry,You are coming up with some cracking photo’s,Thank you for posting them,Cheers Pete

Another good turnout at the Black Horse at Tudhoe on 27th January.
Great to talk about the old days again even though some of our memories are getting worse.
lets see everyone there again next time
Old Bill

old bill:
Another good turnout at the Black Horse at Tudhoe on 27th January.
Great to talk about the old days again even though some of our memories are getting worse.
lets see everyone there again next time
Old Bill

You’re right about memory failure Bill. I think you meant Dec 27th not Jan. Wishing everyone who reads this thread all the best for 2016 and maybe get a few more posts from ex-drivers etc. Regards Ronnie.

Wish I,d known Bill you were out on 27th might have Gatecrashed, we had a Gallacher one on the 28th at Consett.
All the best for 2016 to all you ex Dents.

Hi.mysterrron.(A.F.S.FIREMAN BRIGGS) from a old dents driver.

fireman1945.:
Hi.mysterrron.(A.F.S.FIREMAN BRIGGS) from a old dents driver.

Hi. it must be Colin. Last time I spoke to you was over 20 yrs ago when you were driving a coach in Marske by the Sea. Hope you are well. There are some good memories on this thread but it seems to have quietened down of late. You will be well retired now, where are you living these days? Regards Ronnie.

Hes not having a dig there is he Ronnie (Fireman Briggs) Im saying nowt!!!

Don’t know what you mean Greek, but for your information A.F.S. was the Auxiliary Fire Service of which I was an active participant (along with Colin and some other Dent’s personnel) until it was disbanded in 1968. I still have the letter of thanks from Her Majesty The Queen for being a member of said service. Hope that clears things up for you.

Hi Ronnie
I am living just outside of Whitby, Dean Hall, 5 dwellings and a converted pig sty, which is our bungalow. That will raise some comments no doubt.
Dodge Vans- got one when it was still in primer and travelled all over in it! Berwick on Tweed,Maiden Head for Black and Decker. Then ended up with a Ford Custom Cab. Then 8 leggers. Left Dents and drove coaches,Partime. Joined Fire Service early 70s, retired and went to work on North Yorkshire Moors Railway and drove the odd steam loco! Finally retired at 69yrs, from been Foreman of NEWBRIDGE loco shed. So that’s me up to date! How are you doing Ronnie? and where are you these days?

fireman1945.:
Hi Ronnie
I am living just outside of Whitby, Dean Hall, 5 dwellings and a converted pig sty, which is our bungalow. That will raise some comments no doubt.
Dodge Vans- got one when it was still in primer and travelled all over in it! Berwick on Tweed,Maiden Head for Black and Decker. Then ended up with a Ford Custom Cab. Then 8 leggers. Left Dents and drove coaches,Partime. Joined Fire Service early 70s, retired and went to work on North Yorkshire Moors Railway and drove the odd steam loco! Finally retired at 69yrs, from been Foreman of NEWBRIDGE loco shed. So that’s me up to date! How are you doing Ronnie? and where are you these days?

Hi Colin, I remember the Dodge walk-thru vans. Dents had 4 delivered in 1966:- MUP133D which you got, MUP134D I think Frank Hudson got, NPT881D Stephen Wragg, and PUP536D which Basil Reavley got. I did drive one myself about 68 but can’t recall which one. I’m still living in Marske by the Sea, only been here 39 years. Semi retired many years ago on health grounds but officially retired last year. We often go to Victoria Garden Centre in Whitby if you fancy a coffee and a catch up or you are quite welcome to visit us in Marske if you prefer. Speak later, Ronnie.