Dents of Spennymoor

Hi Colin great to hear from you again, the last time I saw you was in a service area somewhere, must have been in the eighties, can’t remember who I was driving for at the time, but if I remember right you were driving for Tesco hardware and living in the Watford Gap area, or am I dreaming again, alzheimer’s you might say lol. Was the MAN you had, the last motor I drove on Dents, I bet Kenny Johnson will know.
We had many a laugh at Stowmarket, I remember you having the near miss, I don’t think I was there at the time though, do you remember the name of the lad that thought he could fly after a good drink, I remember a gang of us had been on the town, crossing over the railway, about three of the party, including the lad who enjoyed trying to take off, they where in front and as they got to the middle of the track, an express came out of nowhere, like in your case, after the train had gone we were expecting dead body’s everywhere, but they all survived to make the journey again. Do you remember when a freight train carrying coal derailed on the crossing with a lot of trucks and coal ending up in the yard, but not one Dents trucks was hit, Dents drivers must have been like cats, with nine lives. This blog is really starting to take off now, so keep the crack coming in. John, Mac, Beano and any of the other names you used to call me at the time lol

beano111:
You’re a mind of information Kenny, you either have a great memory or a stack of diaries hidden away, either way, the information you have given this blog is priceless. Happy New Year to all ex Dents drivers, hope you all have a Happy, Healthy and prosperous 2012.

Hi John it,s not that good. Jackie Shed got 772PT new. Ernie Rennison got it after him. Ernie was involved in a fatal with it on the A1 between Pity Me and the Red Lion. A coach coming toward him in the middle lane hit the trailer headboard. Ernie was in hospital a long time The middle lane was a suicide lane in them days,no double lines,first come first served in any direction.
Regards Ken.

Hi Kenny, I have a die cast model of a Dents Eight wheeler Reg. No.617 BPT.Was this number ever in Dents Fleet? If so, can you remember any details of Drivers etc.?
Regards
Old Bill

Hi John, the driver who thought that he could fly when he was drunk was Henry Ferguson, aka The Fox. He could tell a good tale, I remember being in a club one night when he told the owner that he was the manager of the Band that was performing there.We got a table right at the front of the club and free drinks, there were 4 or 5 of us that night, at closing time we could not get out of the place fast enough before the owner found out. He would go into the Red House Cafe, buy a cup of tea, sit for ten minutes and when they shouted ‘‘Full Breakfast’’ he would stroll up to the counter and pick it up.I never saw him pay for a breakfast yet. Those were the days.
Regards Old Bill

cranedog:
eight legger

Picture on page 1
hI Bill there is alot wrong with that model if you look at the picture.I think Des Mitchell had it new, Toney Davison and John Bell had it.Taffy Davies bumped it and the cab was repainted.It has the Liverpool phone no’s on.Charlie Savage also drove it.
Regards Ken.

Hi Kennny, You are correct about the Liverpool Telephone number, never noticed that before. Also it has no tow bar on the front and has a load of coal on the back. Did you ever see a load of coal on a Dents wagon while you were there?
Bill

Stories■■? What about Keith getting barred from Normans Cafe for bad language…we all thought bad language was compulsory in there!

Also, the story now in lorry drivers folklore about Keith (again)! bringing the goat into the Bistro cos he didnt get his beans with his breakfast.!

But the best one was the hitch-hiker on Wetherby roundabout who was flicking the vees at all who passed him. Well Tommy Hutch, went past and got the vees, so Claughny who was following drove over the guy`s cases and guitar sending clothing and broken guitar all over the A1. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi Bill. I got into old Ducatis. Got a 1989 851 and a 1976 450 MK3. Still driving HGV. Agency. Mainly Morrisons at the moment. Piece of P compared to the old days.

old bill:
Hi Kennny, You are correct about the Liverpool Telephone number, never noticed that before. Also it has no tow bar on the front and has a load of coal on the back. Did you ever see a load of coal on a Dents wagon while you were there?
Bill

Hi Bill as i said there’s are things not right with that model.Dents never had a tipper.The diesel tank is the wrong shape and on the wrong side.the spare wheel carrier is wrong.all Dents ridgeds had sheet racks on top of the cab.the sideboards are way to high.The only coal iv’e seen on a Dents motor would have been me taking some home that i had picked off the pit heap out the back at dinner time. Regards Ken

Dents drivers on strike about 1961 at the bottom of the drive.Some names Kieth Stokoe, Barry Burton,Anti Claughan,Bob Redshaw Billy Toes,Gary Ridley

kennyjohnson:
Dents drivers on strike about 1961 at the bottom of the drive.Some names Kieth Stokoe, Barry Burton,Anti Claughan,Bob Redshaw Billy Toes,Gary Ridley

Kenny, I seem to remember being on strike just before Christmas either 1965 or 1966. I know there was a lot of snow about and it was taken in turns to go to the Barmoor cafe for refreshments. It was all over John Henry cutting the mileage rates. We were on strike with the drivers even though we worked in the garage. Keep the information coming in, Ronnie.

First time Ive seen this thread Im not an ex Dent driver but I worked with them in the 80`s when working out of melinate jarrow all good lads likes of Kieth (concorde) sorry mate, magic, stretch, ronnie, chappy,billy , Yan, mick, davey (corkscrew) another Davey, kenny Geordie gittens was the fitter then. I see he is gone from Ferryhill now what you doing now Kieth.
Regards Kenny.

does amy one remember an old friend of my dads don aunger possibly the only man to roll an 8wheeler atkinson?

alanmarriott:
does amy one remember an old friend of my dads don aunger possibly the only man to roll an 8wheeler atkinson?

Hi Alan,Don Aunger put 755BUP on it’s side at Normans Cross with a load of Ringtons Tea on.I was told Don had to stand up to pull a 8 wheeler round a tight corner. He was at Dinkies and he did drive for Sid Blenkingsop (Scarlet Band Coaches) when he had 2 motors. Dickie Smith tipped 499GPT over. another 8 wheeler, on the A10 comming out of London one Xmas eve with a load of rice on. Regards Ken.

Hi there, Legend has it that when Don Aungers Wagon was on its side,Tony Claughan who was following, climbed up on the side of the cab,and said ‘‘You won’t be needing this anymore’’, and took the mirror off. Maybe some one could confirm this.
Regards Old Bill

HaHa that sounds like Tony, do you remember when we used to throw bird seed onto the roof of his caravan lol

beano111:

retriever:

A great picture taken by the late Roger Kenney. Hope it stirs somebody’s memory

Anyone remember who’s truck this was

hi everyone
a great picture indeed, and it certainly stirs my memory, but i am not sure if it is a favourable
one. i can remember these old motors being freezing cold in the winter and overpoweringly hot in the
summer, 45 mph flat out and not the power to pull the skin off a rice pudding, :laughing: :laughing:
but the camaraderie among everyone was great and we just got on with the job
i worked at dents twice, from early 70 till 72 then from 79 till 87 ish ( i think ) first motor was a rigid
thames trader then progressed, if thats the word :unamused: to an artic bup 587b thats got you all thinking

Those Atkinson vehicles may have seemed poor in comparison to the wagons of today, but they were considered to be the best at the time.They were very reliable and good old work horses.
Regards Old Bill

old bill:
Those Atkinson vehicles may have seemed poor in comparison to the wagons of today, but they were considered to be the best at the time.They were very reliable and good old work horses.
Regards Old Bill

hello old bill :smiley:
i am not really knocking their capabllities as they were an excellent work horse for dents,
but when i started they were beginning to be slowly phased out and better motors were starting to arrive.
you yourself had a 88 volvo as did the dude, tony claughen and tony davison had an 86 apiece,
arthur spence had a merc and also harry fergie had just got the borderer with the rolls engine, very shortly
after i started peter heslop got a new 88, all great motors except poor robertshaw, he got an old ex waughs
seddon with a 150 gardner, not a seddon atkinson but an old seddon, there was some good motors among the old ones but also some poor ones, i am not knocking them but i do have some memories of very hard days
regards

That’s another name I remember, Maurice Robertshaw, is that right and does anyone see John Chapman these days, last I heard he was driving a tanker for Allinsons? Darlington.

Aye beano last time I saw Chappie he was, but that would be about 4/5 yr ago.