Dawnus collapses

The construction firm leading the Regent Road roadworks scheme has told creditors it is going into administration, the Manchester Evening News understands.

It is understood Dawnus, based in Swansea, has not yet formally appointed a professional advisory firm, but the process has started, WalesOnline reports .

It is understood the international division of Dawnus could stay outside the process, and that parts of the business could be sold, but that when the company is put into administration there will be significant and immediate redundancies.

It comes after sub-contractors at the Regent Road site dramatically downed tools on Tuesday morning and walked off site claiming they haven’t been paid.

One boss, Tommy Halligan of Total Plant Hire Ltd which supplies machinery, claims to be owed around £300,000.

Another contractor supplying labour claimed he was owed a similar amount.

Manchester city council officials were caught completely off-guard and have been urgently seeking clarification on the position of Dawnus.

Meanwhile, it is understood calls have been made behind closed doors to come up with a ‘Plan B’ to get the Regent Road scheme finished.

Dawnus was said to employee around 700 people and was involved in similar projects around the country.

■■■■ it, blame it on Leaving the EU…

Everything else seems to be!!

Now this wouldn’t be another firm, putting in silly low bids to get lots of public sector work, then later on realising whoops not enough profit, but not to worry we’ve more public contracts, and hmg won’t let us go under, think carrilon, now initial. Seems to be catching up with them.

Just another inevitable outcome of the rush to the bottom when it comes to contracts.

See Bidvest…lost the KFC contract to DHL, DHL struggled with it and failed to deliver, now whatever Bidvest is called now has taken the work off DHL by bidding £20 a crate of ‘chicken-style meat’ delivered when DHL was charging £22.

No doubt 999 will be dialled again when the KFCs run out of what they describe as ‘meals’.

Simple solution: Learn to cook. :smiley:

Interseve has now joined the growing list

edd1974:

I heard a train full of gravy has derailed :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

No surprise…these companies appear to be run by people who don’t know what they are doing determined to do those who do know what they are doing down (if that makes sense).

I hear of a major quarry company who decided the high wages earned by their plant fitters were ‘an unacceptable overhead’. They are now learning the hard way how much machine downtime costs in terms of lost production and (consequentially) lost custom, plus the very high price of getting the machinery manufacturers’ own fitters out on call out.

They’ve saved thousands, but its now costing them millions.

No doubt the genius who’s idea it was got a big fat bonus for ‘taking costs out’ and has buggered off to another job elsewhere before his bad decisions came back to haunt him.

Meanwhile, they are offering the guys they got rid of big money to come back.

That’s modern British industry for you. Owned by muppets who recruit muppets to manage, who can only manage muppets. In many jobs now, show any sign of initiative or intelligence and you will be got rid of.

blue estate:

edd1974:

I heard a train full of gravy has derailed :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

where’s the ‘LIKE’ button?

GasGas:

Despite numerous efforts…

With paprika garlic salt and various other herbs and spices, I’m damned if I can get chicken to taste remotely ‘southern fried’. :confused:

GasGas:
That’s modern British industry for you. Owned by muppets who recruit muppets to manage, who can only manage muppets. In many jobs now, show any sign of initiative or intelligence and you will be got rid of.

Isn’t that the truth, the very last person they will listen to is the one who know how it works.

yourhavingalarf:

GasGas:

Despite numerous efforts…

With paprika garlic salt and various other herbs and spices, I’m damned if I can get chicken to taste remotely ‘southern fried’. :confused:

Is that a boast, or complaint? :slight_smile:

It’s a…

Complaint. I’d like to cook really tasty chicken and no matter what I try, it’s always average.

The Issue is poor management 79% of the UK economy is now service based, the service sector in the UK is notorious for bad management.

In fact the UK economy as a whole has a worldwide reputation for poor/weak management this is why British productivity is the lowest of all the G7 economies.

We have all seen it, people sat around for hours waiting for loads, an 8 hour job being dragged out to 12 silly rules and systems of work that cost hours every week, the waste and incompetence is shocking, I have never once been asked for an opinion on anything where I work, we have these silly anonymous feedback questionnaires and nothing ever changes the job is run mostly by those who have never done it.

The service sector is run by bean counters with no grasp whatsoever of what it is they are managing, target and cost driven, this always leads to corner cutting and poor productivity I see it almost every day.

The issue usually comes from the senior management I find the front line managers decent competent people who have been left to implement complete stupidity and are always blamed when the ■■■■ hits the fan.

And besides if “blue chip” companies were run in a competent manner we would have to work for a living, and at almost 51 years of age I’m far to old to start working for a living.