Cumbria companies

Carmichael tank on CFM 5 driven from new by Matt Skinner, this was Carr’s first flour tanker. Good photo Hodge looks like when it was new.
Cheers , Leyland 600.

Three Cowans Sheldon dockside luffing cranes, which dock is this Workington I think but could be Whitehaven. As an apprentice I assisted in making many of the wooden patterns for castings when these were built 1957 plus. Those large ballest weights at th rear took some ■■■■■■■ around also the D shaped jib counterbalance weights even though the patterns were made from yellow pine.
Chees,Leyland 600.

Leyland600:
Carmichael tank on CFM 5 driven from new by Matt Skinner, this was Carr’s first flour tanker. Good photo Hodge looks like when it was new.
Cheers , Leyland 600.

I remember that tanker,.they also had a couple of others, an old Albion with ‘Ideal Farm Foods’ on side, and some 4 wheeler flats…Leylands I think.
I used to go into Carrs with my Dad to load there,.and went in a few times with Robert “Ginger” Bell, the guy who ran the traffic office, at weekends…he was our next door neighbour.
I had the run of Carrs as a kid, free range up and down the stairs and lifts, …Could you imagine that today with H&S ? :smiley:

A free run eh Roy you must have been able to avoid Henry Thompson. There’s a blast from the past Robert (Ginger Bell) a nice guy to know early 1960s I would guess.
Cheers Leyland 600

Leyland600:
A free run eh Roy you must have been able to avoid Henry Thompson. There’s a blast from the past Robert (Ginger Bell) a nice guy to know early 1960s I would guess.
Cheers Leyland 600

Bloody hell yeh… :open_mouth: .Old Henry, :open_mouth: as he was known as.
Wasn’t he a leading hand or foreman or summet?..I remember him, little bloke with a tache,.wore a white boiler suit and matching hat.
Funny how things that you think you’ve forgotten are locked away in your mind until you’re reminded years after
Aye we moved to Silloth in 63, so sometime soon after that I reckon Gerald…
What sticks in my mind is I was up the top of the mill,.watching a dolphin that had got through the dock gate and was trapped.

Yes Roy your description of Henry spot on, he ran a tight ship, another old timer who recently became a victim of Covid was Bob Groves who was a driver on Carrs GHH 144 their first ERF flat new about 1955-6 He eventually ended up on the bulk feed loading weighbridge, we had lots of banter with him and the other long serving company drivers but never a wrong word, fortunately I had a phone chat with him just before Christmas Was Ian Wallace Ginger’s assistant ?
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Aye Ian died about 5 years ago.
I knew Bob Groves also and , I recall him driving that little Austin? with the windows at the bottom of the cab, if you see what I mean.
There was Jeff Laidlaw, Ronnie Wise, Bert Jackson, Bob Williamson, a guy with ‘Oor Wullie’ in his window, Tony Sisson was it? and a guy from Carlisle who had a WW2 Jeep, he had the full US uniform and took it to these re.enactment meetings.

I remember their first artics, Bedford TKs…or did I dream that bit? :smiley: , I was only a kid at the time.

Anyone heard of these look like a yea haa out fit :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :open_mouth: :blush: :wink: :blush:

Aye Roy, Kenny Holt who drove an ERF 6 wheel bulk feed tanker, he taught me how to operate mine when I got it, yes he had all the GIs gear to go with his jeep, his bother in law took it down onto the sand at Silloth and got stuck the tide came in and poor kenny got his WW" rifle out. He died suddeny a few years ago now, Tony Sisson has also passed away, Bert was a fount of knowledge when it came to knowing where farms were, whenever any of us got delivery notes with a new customer and did not know where it was someone would say, “go and ask Old Bert” Aye ah’v been wait till I look in my little black book and sure enough throughout ■■■■■■■■■■ Westmorland, N Lancs Northumberland and the South of Scotland he would have the answer. Jeff and Ronnie, Alan McLeod, Bob Williamson and Bernie the Bolt (Bernie Henderson) who drove a minibus for me when he retired from CFM. They were all good workmates.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Forsters.

Click on pages twice to read.

hodgeturbo:

Hiya,
Does the forward axle of the back three steer ?.

hodgeturbo:

I always thowt that Hodge wuz a Marrer of Kenneth Graham eh! :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Leyland600:
Three Cowans Sheldon dockside luffing cranes, which dock is this Workington I think but could be Whitehaven. As an apprentice I assisted in making many of the wooden patterns for castings when these were built 1957 plus. Those large ballest weights at th rear took some ■■■■■■■ around also the D shaped jib counterbalance weights even though the patterns were made from yellow pine.
Chees,Leyland 600.

Intresting post “Leyland600” about the Cowans Sheldon cranes. Its surprising how many different crane manufacturers there were in the UK back in the 1900’s.

Sent you a PM. :wink:

■■■■■■■■ Hauliers Marathon.

Click on page twice to read.

harry_gill:

hodgeturbo:

Hiya,
Does the forward axle of the back three steer ?.

Hi Harry the 3rd back axle is a lifter there’s a few cement mixers & tippers up here using them cheers Ray

Hiya,
Thanks for the information Stargazer I expect a lifter would be
a better idea if working on uneven ground as tippers do.