Cumbria companies

hodgeturbo:

Bewick:
Hiya Paul, have you had one running out of Sandside this week ? I “clocked” one on the A6 running into Milnthorpe yesterday ! Cheers Dennis.

Hi Dennis I’ve had one in Millom all week could have been him,I haven’t worked for Tarmac for a while I have worked out of Sandside before but the last thing I did for them would have been from Dumfries

Diya know Paul I thought about Millom afterwards as Saunders and Woodhouse’s use the A6 through Milnthorpe rather than run around by J36 eh! Still its a swine of a road in and out of Millom well nut see bad on’t way in m/t but a B******* on’t way out loaded ! Cheers Dennis.
PS Paul, I’ve just bin having a think about that road out of Millom to Levens Bridge and the A6 ( as it was before the M/ways) and when there were many tippers and flats engaged on hauling Pig Iron from the Iron Works at Millom the most powerful motor running in those later days prior to the closure in March '68 was Clarks of Millom 180 ■■■■■■■ “D reg” ( IIRC) Guy Invincible running at 24 tons gvw pulling a short tandem axle flat trailer with low side boards and it was driven by Bob Wright a native of Millom. Bob used to do 3 round trips to Sheffield a week returning with scrap moulds to Millom. He also used to stay in digs at Kelmscott café, Chorley three nights a week !!

Bewick:

hodgeturbo:

Bewick:
Hiya Paul, have you had one running out of Sandside this week ? I “clocked” one on the A6 running into Milnthorpe yesterday ! Cheers Dennis.

Hi Dennis I’ve had one in Millom all week could have been him,I haven’t worked for Tarmac for a while I have worked out of Sandside before but the last thing I did for them would have been from Dumfries

Diya know Paul I thought about Millom afterwards as Saunders and Woodhouse’s use the A6 through Milnthorpe rather than run around by J36 eh! Still its a swine of a road in and out of Millom well nut see bad on’t way in m/t but a B******* on’t way out loaded ! Cheers Dennis.
PS Paul, I’ve just bin having a think about that road out of Millom to Levens Bridge and the A6 ( as it was before the M/ways) and when there were many tippers and flats engaged on hauling Pig Iron from the Iron Works at Millom the most powerful motor running in those later days prior to the closure in March '68 was Clarks of Millom 180 ■■■■■■■ “D reg” ( IIRC) Guy Invincible running at 24 tons gvw pulling a short tandem axle flat trailer with low side boards and it was driven by Bob Wright a native of Millom. Bob used to do 3 round trips to Sheffield a week returning with scrap moulds to Millom. He also used to stay in digs at Kelmscott café, Chorley three nights a week !!

Its still a good old slog out of Millom even with a lot more powerful engines doesn’t matter which way you go it’s just hills hills and more hills

Hi, saw a Hodgeturbo Scania this afternoon on Barrow Island, heading out of town. Didn’t get near enough to clock the reg. it looked empty.

John.

John West:
Hi, saw a Hodgeturbo Scania this afternoon on Barrow Island, heading out of town. Didn’t get near enough to clock the reg. it looked empty.

John.

We are bringing Tar down from Carlisle for the new temporary car park for BAE

hodgeturbo:

John West:

John.

Eyeball on the m6 this morning :smiley:

Punchy Dan:

hodgeturbo:

John West:

John.

Sawyou heading up the 74 this morning Dan with what looked like a generator on.

gazzad:

Punchy Dan:

hodgeturbo:

John West:

John.

Sawyou heading up the 74 this morning Dan with what looked like a generator on.

Yes I had 5 on , which horse n cart should I be looking for ? :smiley:

Hi Rob Roy, Fletchertown village hall tomorrow night Saturday 28th Sept at 7.00 pm Nigel Scaife with slide show "Old ■■■■■■■■ Lorries " so I am told.

Cheers Leyland 600

My dad’s cargo curtain sider followed by Ian ridley cargo flat

Leyland600:
Hi Rob Roy, Fletchertown village hall tomorrow night Saturday 28th Sept at 7.00 pm Nigel Scaife with slide show "Old ■■■■■■■■ Lorries " so I am told.

Cheers Leyland 600

Thanks Gerald, did not know it was on, but finished work too late anyway.
How was it?

hodgeturbo:

Hi Hodge , I remember alco but buggerd if I can remember where they were based ? I’m thinking mossbay . Can you enlighten me cheers

Hi Roy, a very good show with lots of ancient,(1940s-50s) not so ancient(1960s-80s) and modern (1990s-2010 approx) ■■■■■■■■ lorries display with a near capacity audience.
heers, Leyland 600

Was that you Hodge ?

An’ he was only gitten paid for’t actual weight eh! Anon 1.

Bewick:

He wouldn’t be the first to fall for that one though, had it tried on me a time or two (RMC were good at that, you had to be canny :unamused: ) but never took them up on their ‘kind’ offer! :laughing: Their answer was always the same when I refused; “I thought you hired hauliers wanted work?”

Pete.

Punchy Dan:
Was that you Hodge ?

It was David lad that drives that wagon took it to Wimblington near Cambridge it’s getting chipped up then taken to Dumfries to be made into Picnic Benches

Bewick:

Oh no I haven’t dropped a bo@@ock have I thought it was gonna be a good job :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

NMP -British Sidac Wigton lined up on the yard great memories riding shotgun with the old man late 70s early 80s

Steve Did you see the photo on Old Wigton Facebook showing one of the first two Rayophane Albion Chieftains transporting a load of factory lassies along Station Rd back about 1952 when the beck was in flood and no one could get into the factory. My neighbour Joe Wilson was driving the Albion I showed him the photo and apparently he did two loads from the bottom end of New St into the factory.
Cheers, Leyland 600.