Cumbria companies

hodgeturbo:

JIMBO47:
where at Dumfries? is the plant at locharbriggs still on the go for the blackstuff,

Yes the plant at Jericho Bridge Locharbriggs is still going but I work out of Morrinton up near Dunscore

lol…can mind when jock Tyson was quarry foreman …and Mr newlands was the manager,had aload o chips rejected one day , quality control was at the chip heap at Eskdalemuir the Clydesdale had a hell o a job getting back up morrington hill to get on the scale to weigh back in. Mr newlands was fuming ,seems the whole hopper was rejects (a big hole in the riddles let wrong size chip in hopper). We were inspected the rest o the week before we left the quarry to make sure :smiley: :smiley:

JIMBO47:

hodgeturbo:

JIMBO47:
where at Dumfries? is the plant at locharbriggs still on the go for the blackstuff,

Yes the plant at Jericho Bridge Locharbriggs is still going but I work out of Morrinton up near Dunscore

lol…can mind when jock Tyson was quarry foreman …and Mr newlands was the manager,had aload o chips rejected one day , quality control was at the chip heap at Eskdalemuir the Clydesdale had a hell o a job getting back up morrington hill to get on the scale to weigh back in. Mr newlands was fuming ,seems the whole hopper was rejects (a big hole in the riddles let wrong size chip in hopper). We were inspected the rest o the week before we left the quarry to make sure :smiley: :smiley:

. They put a new road in to the left a few years ago it’s not quite as steep

just thinking how much the trees have grown in 30 odd years . at the cottages on the roadside one of the hardest men I ever met lived he was an x sergeant chief FF legionnaire RTD. He came over when the first big pipeline came through in the late 70s to “troubleshoot” for Norwest socea (spelling). One hard look from him and the local big men Pd their selfs , funny how a picture brings back memories

Some more of Ken Grahams photos

Great shots there Paul of JWG, Kenneth is just drip feeding them out like !! I wonder how many more he has tucked away eh! Are you very busy at the moment then Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:
Great shots there Paul of JWG, Kenneth is just drip feeding them out like !! I wonder how many more he has tucked away eh! Are you very busy at the moment then Cheers Dennis.

I’m sure they’ll keep coming if he has any more pics,work wise it’s a bit day to day at the minute had a job running contaminated soil out of the Shipyard at Barrow to Seal Sands this week it’s been a good job . It’s contaminated with Rat Poison

Lifted this off Dean’s ‘‘Paul Gee’s collection’’ thread in case any of the ■■■■■■■■ lads missed it,.a pic of one of John Walton’s Mercs…80/81 ish?

Anybody know what John is doing these days, last I heard of him he was a salesman at Merc trucks in mid 80s.
I did a bit of part time on one of those Mercs for him.

Could that nameplate say ‘‘TOM’’ …if so Tom Pattinson?

robroy:
Lifted this off Dean’s ‘‘Paul Gee’s collection’’ thread in case any of the ■■■■■■■■ lads missed it,.a pic of one of John Walton’s Mercs…80/81 ish?

Anybody know what John is doing these days, last I heard of him he was a salesman at Merc trucks in mid 80s.

looks like “■■■■” on the plate in the windscreen.

colinwallace1:

robroy:

Bloody hell mate, your eyes are better than mine. :laughing:
Could it be ■■■■ Graham?

robroy:

colinwallace1:

robroy:

Bloody hell mate, your eyes are better than mine. :laughing:
Could it be ■■■■ Graham?

Johns son posted on Facebook a couple of weeks ago that his Dad had just died

Bloody hell that’s a shocker. :open_mouth:
I knew John since I was a kid, he worked for his Dad Edwin who was a coal merchant with a small haulage business, working out of Carrs Mill I think…my Dad drove for him for a short time.
John later on done some of the haulage out of Micaply Silloth with a blue Dodge and later an ERF as far as I remember.
He had a couple of 7 and half tonners and a pick up…his Dad Edwin drove that for him.
He also had an old orange A series ERF which Tom Pattinson later drove, then John updated his fleet with brand new rigid 16 tonner Mercs with sleeper cabs.
Last time I spoke to him was in the Golf Hotel in Silloth, he told me he was a salesman at Merc trucks Carlisle, he had just sold one to Jim Lawson.I think he said.
RIP John mate.

robroy:
Bloody hell that’s a shocker. :open_mouth:
I knew John since I was a kid, he worked for his Dad Edwin who was a coal merchant with a small haulage business, working out of Carrs Mill I think…my Dad drove for him for a short time.
John later on done some of the haulage out of Micaply Silloth with a blue Dodge and later an ERF as far as I remember.
He had a couple of 7 and half tonners and a pick up…his Dad Edwin drove that for him.
He also had an old orange A series ERF which Tom Pattinson later drove, then John updated his fleet with brand new rigid 16 tonner Mercs with sleeper cabs.
Last time I spoke to him was in the Golf Hotel in Silloth, he told me he was a salesman at Merc trucks Carlisle, he had just sold one to Jim Lawson.I think he said.
RIP John mate.

John did a bit of work for my Dad be early seventies Hodgson and Bailey waste paper remember going to his house when he lived in one of the 4 terraced houses at Greenrow

Hey Hodge is thoo sat at yam wid yer finger up your a— or wat eh! Cheers Dennis.

colinwallace1:

robroy:

100% says ■■■■.

David.

Hi Hodge & Roy, I knew John quite well long time ago when he ran out of Carrs mill, I seem to remember that his father ran a Guy Wolf or Otter on his coal business. I haven’t seen John for years. RIP John.
Cheers Leyland 600

Hi Hodge & Roy, I knew John quite well long time ago when he ran out of Carrs mill, I seem to remember that his father ran a Guy Wolf or Otter on his coal business. I haven’t seen John for years. RIP John.
Cheers Leyland 600

Leyland600:
Cheers Leyland 600

Hiya Gerald…I remember Edwin (John’s Dad) having a BMC Austin,.a TK and a Commer with detachable sideboards used as a flat, but maybe the GUY was before my time, I was just a kid. :smiley:
I also remember John’s brother…Peter? , working in the coal job also.
Just before I started driving 79ish, me and my mate used to meet Edwin in the Ritz caff at Silloth on a Sunday (think his daughter owned it) , where he would feed us ‘‘Trucking tales’’ of his week away in John’s VW pick up…all of them exaggerated btw :smiley: , but Edwin was a canny bloke also.
I got on well with them both as a young lad.

Bewick:
Hey Hodge is thoo sat at yam wid yer finger up your a— or wat eh! Cheers Dennis.

No been on some Tar jobs this week Dennis lot of standing time you know