Cumbria companies

hodgeturbo:

Bewick:

hodgeturbo:
Had to get a lift home this week,gearbox has give up the ghost

So do you buy a second hand box off Grahams Paul ? Cheers Dennis.

I use a fella called John Dunn Professional Transmissions at Cambuslang he will rebuild it for me.Its been crunchy for a while but I’ve just put up with it we think the lay shaft has seized up

So how long will it be 'oft road Paul ? Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

hodgeturbo:

Bewick:

hodgeturbo:

I use a fella called John Dunn Professional Transmissions at Cambuslang he will rebuild it for me.Its been crunchy for a while but I’ve just put up with it we think the lay shaft has seized up

Hiya,
Or as we used to say when in my first job from school, yes I was
a pit lad " Off t’road baht leet and a brokken clog.
thanks harry, long retired/

Thur’all in one box Hodge so how come you “griked” them ! Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

hodgeturbo:

Bewick:

hodgeturbo:

I’m going to leave it till the start of the new year,just been using it as a spare wagon

Ah! so finally got down till it Paul eh!, it’s probably now tucked up in a heated garage until the new year aboot March when all’t nasty snows gone eh! it’s just kept as a pet noo !! :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

Stamper Volvo.jpg

Hi Stanfield I occasionally used to do an evening / night run for ■■■■ back in 1964 when he only had a LAD cabbed Leyland Comet often running cattle to north Northumberland after sales at local auction marts. A proper gentleman.
Cheers Leyland 600

Leyland600:
Hi Stanfield I occasionally used to do an evening / night run for ■■■■ back in 1964 when he only had a LAD cabbed Leyland Comet often running cattle to north Northumberland after sales at local auction marts. A proper gentleman.
Cheers Leyland 600

Hiya Gerald, was one of Dicks regular jobs picking up pigs for Cavray direct from the producers ? I seem to recall him ( I think it was him) collecting pigs in Ireby. ADB didn’t do this job for Cavray. Cheers Dennis.

A few shots of me laking around in ■■■■■■■ on Friday…

WP_20171215_021.jpg

WP_20171215_013.jpg

WP_20171206_004.jpg

Hi Dennis, I don’t know what other regular contracts he had etc, I just did a few odd runs for him after the auctions had finished for the day, this was in 1964.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Handy concrete all parked up at the mealsgate yard for christmas

Leyland600:
Hi Dennis, I don’t know what other regular contracts he had etc, I just did a few odd runs for him after the auctions had finished for the day, this was in 1964.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Hiya Gerald, do you remember Billy Dockeray’s cattle motors from Abbeytown in the 60s.
Did you have any dealings with him?

I remember my Dad borrowing one off him to move us from Allonby to Silloth around 63ish.

robroy:

Leyland600:
Cheers, Leyland 600

Hiya Gerald, do you remember Billy Dockeray’s cattle motors from Abbeytown in the 60s.
Did you have any dealings with him?

I remember my Dad borrowing one off him to move us from Allonby to Silloth around 63ish.

As a Lad all I can recall about Willy Dockeray was what I heard, and recall, ADB and John Bateman complaining that Willy used to “break ranks” at the Auction marts and reduce his rates, fill his couple of motors, and ■■■■ off ! Then the other decent Hauliers had to argue their case, and rates, with the Dealers who expected them to run for the rates Willy D. had quoted ! this was in the '50’s so nothing has changed :frowning: Cheers Bewick

Hi Robroy & Dennis I remember Billy Dockray well, Robbie (when he worked at the factory) and I used to take cattle out of Wigton auction on a Thursday night to either Staindrop or Skipton with a Leyland Comet with a 3rd axle conversion. Back in March 1961 we set off one Friday night about 4 pm with a Commer two stroke loaded with dairy cows from the Norman family near Abbeytown to a relation of theirs at Fowey, Cornwall. At Smallwood cross Rds Cheshire where there was a huge black sign with cats eyes embedded pointing to FODEN SANDBACH ( who remembers that sign ?) 4 lads in a Morris Series E came belting round the corner slap bang into our front offside wheel and fuel tank then overturned. They all bailed out unhurt but well oiled with drink, the Police arrived in a Morris 1000 and persuaded them to go to hospital for a check up (no breathaliser then) By now it was about 11pm we set off only to discover the Commer was drawing air from the fuel supply pipe now and again. Eventually passing through Exeter we took the Plymouth road by mistake (no Saltash Bridge then) having to turn westwards near Buckfastleigh and up over Dartmoor mid Saturday morning up narrow Devon lanes where the Commer came to a standstill.blocking the road air locked . First vehicle on the scene a posh guy in hunting pink in a horse box going to the hunt “Oh I must get there on time he ranted”. Robbie say “hev ye got a threepenny bit marra gies it?” which he did This fitted the bleed screw and we got the TS3 running no bother with Mr Huntsman marvelling at the genius of two country bumkins. By now the cows were getting tired standing so long and tended to get down in the front on down hill stretches while those in the back did the same going uphill and we had to keep stopping to get them back on their feet. Eventually reaching Bodinnick down some very narrow lanes with wheel nuts digging sods off the dyke breasts we reached the farm about 3 pm, 23 hours from home, we went to bed in the farm until midnight before setting off back home on a cold clear frosty night. Approaching Taunton the Commer came to a standstill once more on investigation we found the glass fuel sediment bowl had shattered this was about 4am. We set off to walk into Taunton phoning Billy D to ask about the sediment bowl which he assured us was a 1lb jam jar. Passing a cemetry I suggested looking within for a jam jar but R was not for going in being flate of ghosts etc plus a tramp kipping in the lytch gateway coughing put us off.
Coming to a garage we enquired for a jam jar without success but the lad there had a taxi and took us round to the police station where we were informed that they had had a report that two strange characters had been seen walking into town and did we have a wagon from ■■■■■■■ parked about 2 miles out of town . No luck at the police station, adjacent fire & ambulance station or a hospital apart from a small jam jar which did not look right. The taxi set off to take us back when we spied a light on in a house and decided to enquire about a jar, it turned out that this was a railway guard just home after a night shift and yes he had some jars in his shed how many did we want. We soon were back at the wagon jam jar fitted bled up and once more on our way home arriving back about tea time. I know this sounds like a far fetched tale but it is true. The photo below I took at Coombe Hill Cafe near Tewsbury that morning as we returned.

That’s one hell of an anecdote Gerald, …enjoyed that. :smiley:
You should get your memoirs published. :smiley:

I do Cornwall every week, but obviously it’s nothing at all like the hardships you fellas had to put up with, a modern Mercedes with all facilities is no comparison to that old Commer.
My Dad used to drive a couple of Commers, one for Jack Cook at Silloth and W.Bothwick at Blencogo. I remember they used to have an engine growl, and their ‘own smell’ with sparks flying out of the exhaust. :smiley:
It must have been one hell of a hard slog running down there before the Motorways.
Some of the the A roads in Cornwall are bad enough now, God knows what they must have been like in the early 60s :open_mouth: .
I’ve always had a lot of respect for you old (no offence btw :smiley: ) guys who drove at that time.

Here’s a pic of Cook’s Commer which collected sawdust (loaded by hand with a shovel including me helping my Dad as a kid with a coal fire shovel :smiley: ) and tipped off. (tipper body).

Leyland600:
Hi Robroy & Dennis I remember Billy Dockray well, Robbie (when he worked at the factory) and I used to take cattle out of Wigton auction on a Thursday night to either Staindrop or Skipton with a Leyland Comet with a 3rd axle conversion. Back in March 1961 we set off one Friday night about 4 pm with a Commer two stroke loaded with dairy cows from the Norman family near Abbeytown to a relation of theirs at Fowey, Cornwall. At Smallwood cross Rds Cheshire where there was a huge black sign with cats eyes embedded pointing to FODEN SANDBACH ( who remembers that sign ?) 4 lads in a Morris Series E came belting round the corner slap bang into our front offside wheel and fuel tank then overturned. They all bailed out unhurt but well oiled with drink, the Police arrived in a Morris 1000 and persuaded them to go to hospital for a check up (no breathaliser then) By now it was about 11pm we set off only to discover the Commer was drawing air from the fuel supply pipe now and again. Eventually passing through Exeter we took the Plymouth road by mistake (no Saltash Bridge then) having to turn westwards near Buckfastleigh and up over Dartmoor mid Saturday morning up narrow Devon lanes where the Commer came to a standstill.blocking the road air locked . First vehicle on the scene a posh guy in hunting pink in a horse box going to the hunt “Oh I must get there on time he ranted”. Robbie say “hev ye got a threepenny bit marra gies it?” which he did This fitted the bleed screw and we got the TS3 running no bother with Mr Huntsman marvelling at the genius of two country bumkins. By now the cows were getting tired standing so long and tended to get down in the front on down hill stretches while those in the back did the same going uphill and we had to keep stopping to get them back on their feet. Eventually reaching Bodinnick down some very narrow lanes with wheel nuts digging sods off the dyke breasts we reached the farm about 3 pm, 23 hours from home, we went to bed in the farm until midnight before setting off back home on a cold clear frosty night. Approaching Taunton the Commer came to a standstill once more on investigation we found the glass fuel sediment bowl had shattered this was about 4am. We set off to walk into Taunton phoning Billy D to ask about the sediment bowl which he assured us was a 1lb jam jar. Passing a cemetry i suggested looking within for a jam jar but R was not for going in being flate of ghosts etc plus a tramp kipping in the lytch gateway coughing put us off.
Coming to a garage we enquired for a jam jar without success but the lad there had a taxi and took us round to the police station where we were informed that they had had a report that two strange characters had been seen walking into town and did we have a wagon from ■■■■■■■ parked about 2 miles out of town . No luck at the police station, adjacent fire & ambulance station or a hospital apart from a small jam jar which did not look right. The taxi set off to take us back when we spied a light on in a house and decided to enquire about a jar, it turned out that this was a railway guard just home after a night shift and yes he had some jars in his shed how many did we want. We soon were back at the wagon jam jar fitted bled up and once more on our way home arriving back about tea time. I know this sounds like a far fetched tale but it is true. The photo below I took at Coombe Hill Cafe near Tewsbury that morning as we returned.

You Lads frae’ Gods county sure did get into some lumber up and down the road !but great tale all the same and I doubt that to-days Drivers could show the same ingenuity that the pair of you showed ! I didn’t know that RWB helped WD out it must have been when he was “on walkabout” before he returned to the “fold” ! All the best for Christmas and The New Year Gerald, Cheers Dennis.

Some ‘drivers’ today Dennis can’t/won’t even change a bloody bulb. :open_mouth: …just compare that with Gerald’s tale and some of the stuff you and your drivers will no doubt have done, even things that I have done before, simple stuff like changing a trailer wheel on the hard shoulder.
Worse than that there are some ‘Modern Logistics’ up their own arse type firms who will not allow their drivers to change bulbs anyway. :open_mouth:
(Must admit though I don’t miss lying under the trailer axle on my back trying to double kick an inside wheel off that was stuck fast on the hub.)

How times have changed eh?.. even since I’ve been in the job, let alone you blokes, some admittedlly for the better, but many more examples for the worse.

Leyland600:
Hi Robroy & Dennis I remember Billy Dockray well, Robbie (when he worked at the factory) and I used to take cattle out of Wigton auction on a Thursday night to either Staindrop or Skipton with a Leyland Comet with a 3rd axle conversion. Back in March 1961 we set off one Friday night about 4 pm with a Commer two stroke loaded with dairy cows from the Norman family near Abbeytown to a relation of theirs at Fowey, Cornwall. At Smallwood cross Rds Cheshire where there was a huge black sign with cats eyes embedded pointing to FODEN SANDBACH ( who remembers that sign ?) 4 lads in a Morris Series E came belting round the corner slap bang into our front offside wheel and fuel tank then overturned. They all bailed out unhurt but well oiled with drink, the Police arrived in a Morris 1000 and persuaded them to go to hospital for a check up (no breathaliser then) By now it was about 11pm we set off only to discover the Commer was drawing air from the fuel supply pipe now and again. Eventually passing through Exeter we took the Plymouth road by mistake (no Saltash Bridge then) having to turn westwards near Buckfastleigh and up over Dartmoor mid Saturday morning up narrow Devon lanes where the Commer came to a standstill.blocking the road air locked . First vehicle on the scene a posh guy in hunting pink in a horse box going to the hunt “Oh I must get there on time he ranted”. Robbie say “hev ye got a threepenny bit marra gies it?” which he did This fitted the bleed screw and we got the TS3 running no bother with Mr Huntsman marvelling at the genius of two country bumkins. By now the cows were getting tired standing so long and tended to get down in the front on down hill stretches while those in the back did the same going uphill and we had to keep stopping to get them back on their feet. Eventually reaching Bodinnick down some very narrow lanes with wheel nuts digging sods off the dyke breasts we reached the farm about 3 pm, 23 hours from home, we went to bed in the farm until midnight before setting off back home on a cold clear frosty night. Approaching Taunton the Commer came to a standstill once more on investigation we found the glass fuel sediment bowl had shattered this was about 4am. We set off to walk into Taunton phoning Billy D to ask about the sediment bowl which he assured us was a 1lb jam jar. Passing a cemetry i suggested looking within for a jam jar but R was not for going in being flate of ghosts etc plus a tramp kipping in the lytch gateway coughing put us off.

Fantastic story!!!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk