Cumbria companies

Bewick:
Judging by that shot of Gordy’s Volvo “Hodge” you should sober up fust eh! before going near the key board ! Anyways Question—is there anymore un-worked opencast deposits in W. ■■■■■■■ or is that it, all worked out ? I wonder how much coal has been got over the years from W. ■■■■■■■ ? Millions of tons I reckon. Cheers Dennis.

No there’s plenty left.the coal board had 6 potential sites ready drilled the next big one was called Lostrigg and it was just really an extension of Potatopot at Workington

hodgeturbo:

Bewick:
Judging by that shot of Gordy’s Volvo “Hodge” you should sober up fust eh! before going near the key board ! Anyways Question—is there anymore un-worked opencast deposits in W. ■■■■■■■ or is that it, all worked out ? I wonder how much coal has been got over the years from W. ■■■■■■■ ? Millions of tons I reckon. Cheers Dennis.

No there’s plenty left.the coal board had 6 potential sites ready drilled the next big one was called Lostrigg and it was just really an extension of Potatopot at Workington

Is it on the cards then that another open cast will start up ? Cheers Dennis.

Hi Paul, Supplied new to British Rayophane at Wigton 1962 or 3, driven from new by my next door but one neighbour Joe Wilson now 95 and still hale and hearty. Joe was the only driver of this wagon until it was sold to W.P Bell & Sons of Burnfoot, Wigton who subsequently were taken over by Harrisons about 1977/8. The ERF used to run regularly to John Players at Nottingham & W D & H O Wills at Bristol with cellophane paper for cigarette packet wrapping plus it did a lot of dock traffic and other customers locations all over England, Scotland and Wales. When at Players they would fill his bait box with ■■■■ for the return journey It was always maintained to a very high standard with no expense spared when needing repairs for example if there was a broken spring then two were fitted to the same axle. This was a lovely looking wagon in the dark blue of British Rayophane. (Sidac) Innovia these days.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Hiya Gerald, nice shot of the Sidac ERF, so what driveline spec was it ? 20 ton gross and 13/14 ton payload ? Cheers Dennis.

Double drive with diff locks. Joe reckons it was a cracker in snow and just kept going, frequently tested on the old A6 over Shap.
Cheers. Leyland 600

Leyland600:
Double drive with diff locks. Joe reckons it was a cracker in snow and just kept going, frequently tested on the old A6 over Shap.
Cheers. Leyland 600

Sounds like it was a good motor Gerald so would it have had a 6LW engine ? Cheers Dennis.

A random thought struck me when wending my way noerthwards from GOC this afternoon- is J T Leyland still in business, Dennis? As I recall the yard was alongside a railway line and was a foot deep in mud in the winter and a foot deep in dust in the summer. I used to load palletised paper from there and the outstanding feature was that the flt driver would disappear for a brew leaving instructions for me to find the pallets in the warehouse (shed!).

Sorry to ■■■■ in , but in answer to your question. Yes, they seem to be a biggish company ,see all kinds of vehicles with their livery round here. Seems to be mainly palletised stuff. Delivered in any brand of vehicle in any age/condition .

syramax:
Sorry to ■■■■ in , but in answer to your question. Yes, they seem to be a biggish company ,see all kinds of vehicles with their livery round here. Seems to be mainly palletised stuff. Delivered in any brand of vehicle in any age/condition .

Looks like they have an operator licence for 17 motors and 14 trailers. I was a pal of the late Tommy Leyland ( J T) in the late 60’s when he ran a couple of 4 wheelers on “A” licence from his little warehouse on Shap Rd. in Kendal, his main work was running down to Liverpool m/t and loading all kinds of grocery traffic for delivery around ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ to grocery chains such as Melias and T D Smiths and a number of Wholesale Grocers. Lost touch with him a bit thro’ the 70’s even though he had by this time moved onto the other side of the main line opposite which was a long and very narrow strip. We didn’t carry the same traffic so we didn’t compete, IIRC we did take on a couple of drivers ex JT Leyland in the 70’s otherwise that was it ! Cheers Bewick.

Retired Old ■■■■:
A random thought struck me when wending my way noerthwards from GOC this afternoon- is J T Leyland still in business, Dennis? As I recall the yard was alongside a railway line and was a foot deep in mud in the winter and a foot deep in dust in the summer. I used to load palletised paper from there and the outstanding feature was that the flt driver would disappear for a brew leaving instructions for me to find the pallets in the warehouse (shed!).

Sounds about right ROF ! Cheers Dennis.

Yep! I think the idea was to get visiting drivers to do as much of their work as possible! Did their yard used to be a rail siding? It certainly gave me that impression- about 12 feet wide and 100 yards long.

Retired Old ■■■■:
Yep! I think the idea was to get visiting drivers to do as much of their work as possible! Did their yard used to be a rail siding? It certainly gave me that impression- about 12 feet wide and 100 yards long.

On that side of the line there was the Station and the Station Masters house and IIRC there was one siding rail and that building you mention so it was a long and narrow strip. At the other side where we were located was the main Goods yard which fanned out from the line in off the main line to a number of lines one of which continued into the Libby factory which used rail to ship out milk and finished product before, during and after WW2 then the use of rail gradually tailed off throughtout the 50’s/early 60’s when road transport took over, the last use of the Goods yard was bringing tar tankers in by rail for the black topping of the new M6 in around 70/71 then it fell into disuse and I had a ■■■■■■■ terrible job trying to buy it off BR Property Board, what a bunch of “bankers” they were to deal with. :angry: The top end near the road was sold off to the Dept of Transport in 67/68 to build the new testing Station so that took about one acre and I got about two acres to add to the K. Fell depot of around one acre. Cheers Dennis.

See that pristine 300 yard long fence ROF ! it cost me £3,000 in early 1980 and was on top of the price I paid for the land, and it had to be “erected to the specification and satisfaction of The Area Permanent Way Engineer” and what a ■■■■■■■ Areosol he was, I know 3 grand dosen’t sound so much nowadays but it was plenty then ! :frowning: Leylands side was wide open to the track as I believe they only rented it but that is where the permanent way gangs gained access to the line when they were working on it so we weren’t bothered with them coming and going on our side at all times of day and night as I had bought the freehold. Cheers Dennis.

A 1976 Ariel shot of the Libby factory, and is just after I bought K.Fells and our depot is in the top left hand corner with the disused Goods Yard next to us. I suppose looking at the shot the MOT Station behind those Scotch pines was probably abut one and half acres or so. The narrow bit on the other side of the line was the way in to the Station House and J T Leylands. There used to be a foot bridge over the line opposite the Station House onto the Up platform ( south bound) and this was demolished when the Station was closed in the early 60’s. Cheers Bewick.

Here are 2 of J T Leyland motor’s

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Luv this thread brings back memories of when I served my time as a fitter at Athersmiths Bros in Barrow in the early 70’s :smiley:

Alan T

Many thaks for the info, Syramax and Bewick.
I hadn’t realised you were so close to Leyland’s, Dennis. We must have come close to knowing each other years before meeting on here! Leyland’s motors look very smart in that livery, maybe the competition over the tracks made them tidy things up. Seeing the photo of the old station house suddenly brought everything back- I had completely forgotten about that right angled turn after leaving the road!
Thanks once more.

IIRC this Merc was leaving the depot one Sunday to run down to the ferry en-route to Munich southern Germany. Cheers Bewick.

Retired Old ■■■■:
Many thaks for the info, Syramax and Bewick.
I hadn’t realised you were so close to Leyland’s, Dennis. We must have come close to knowing each other years before meeting on here! Leyland’s motors look very smart in that livery, maybe the competition over the tracks made them tidy things up. Seeing the photo of the old station house suddenly brought everything back- I had completely forgotten about that right angled turn after leaving the road!
Thanks once more.

No comment ROF ! :blush:But you could have popped into “Mables” aka The Station Inn at the entrance off the main road and left me a Large G & T in !! I didn’t drink the beer as it was ■■■■, Yates & Jackson Brewery of Lancaster, now long gone and “Mables” is closed as a pub but the family still operate a small farm. Cheers Dennis.