Cumbria companies

Thanks, I had noticed the plant now you come to mention it.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Leyland600:
Cheers, Leyland 600.

"Can we do your drive “Sor” we’ve just finished a job on the M6 and we have a bit of Black left, cash only “Sor” though ! Anon 1.

Bewick:

Leyland600:
Cheers, Leyland 600.

"Can we do your drive “Sor” we’ve just finished a job on the M6 and we have a bit of Black left, cash only “Sor” though ! Anon 1.

Could have done you 80 ton on Friday night sat on the job at Scotland Road Carlisle for 2 hours Hansons couldn’t get the chipper going so sent us back to the plant to dump it.

Punchy Dan:
How do you find the super singles Hodge ? Since I put some on every time I tuck under I end up bouncing back out again ,must be about 6 odd inch wider track .

I find them ok catch kerbs sometimes but a lot better off road on soft ground

This is my first wagon at Peter Greggains DAT415 T pictured at Wimpey Mining Potatopot OCCS Workington 1988

Seen on the ■■■■■■■ Trunk Run on Sunday 4th Sept. Take note of the Spitfire flying over above the Scammell. Good to see such an aircraft at an airfield that was once a major employer in the area and had many aircraft pass through it as an RAF Maintainance Unit plus dozens of Avro Yorks were lined up against the perimeter road preparing to be scrapped after The Berlin Airlift ceased.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Loading at Threlkeld Quarry

Leyland600:
Seen on the ■■■■■■■ Trunk Run on Sunday 4th Sept. Take note of the Spitfire flying over above the Scammell. Good to see such an aircraft at an airfield that was once a major employer in the area and had many aircraft pass through it as an RAF Maintainance Unit plus dozens of Avro Yorks were lined up against the perimeter road preparing to be scrapped after The Berlin Airlift ceased.
Cheers, Leyland 600

I was away for the weekend last week Gerald, was the Spitfire to do with the vintage run or on it’s way or way back from something else and just a coincidence.
I’m sorry to miss it anyway, last time I saw a Spitfire over here was at Silloth Carnival about 15 yrs ago.

hodgeturbo:

Hiya,
Hodgeturbo, that looks rather like a very elderly navvy that’s loading
you a bit slow I would think for you lads in a hurry.
thanks harry, long retired.

harry_gill:

hodgeturbo:

Hiya,
Hodgeturbo, that looks rather like a very elderly navvy that’s loading
you a bit slow I would think for you lads in a hurry.

Agreed Harry, in all my ‘tipper driving time’ I never saw anything like that still in use apart from face loading dumpers back in the 70’s! I do know it was done like that years ago of course but I thought that Threlkeld quarry was just a museum these days?

Pete.

Last time I was loaded by a face shovel would be mid eighties on one of the open cast sites in West Durham. They were good for digging direct from a “thin seam” sometimes only a few inches deep. Was never loaded by one in a quarry or a building site.
Tyneside

hodgeturbo:

Is Threlkeld Quarry still working Paul ? I thought it was just a heritage museum now ! Cheers Dennis.

Hi Roy, The ■■■■■■■ Trunk Run finished at The White Heather for lunch and there just happened to be some kind of local air show further over the aerodrome. While photographing the wagon line up the Spitfire came over a couple of times before departing for Finningley I believe.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Bewick:

hodgeturbo:

Is Threlkeld Quarry still working Paul ? I thought it was just a heritage museum now ! Cheers Dennis.

It is a museum but there’s some big stock piles of quarry waste left and they sell it.not sure how much it is now I just did the haulage for a farmer from Whitehaven but it was £1 per ton till the tax man found out about it they now have to pay £2 a to aggregate tax on every ton sold because it’s still classed as new stone

hodgeturbo:

Bewick:

hodgeturbo:

It is a museum but there’s some big stock piles of quarry waste left and they sell it.not sure how much it is now I just did the haulage for a farmer from Whitehaven but it was £1 per ton till the tax man found out about it they now have to pay £2 a to aggregate tax on every ton sold because it’s still classed as new stone

■■■■■■■ 'ell Hodge a Gadgy can’t earn a bit of “Black economy” even though the Quarry has been shut for years :blush: As a wee Lad living in ireby I can remember the Keswick Granite V 8 Fordsons tipping stock loads of chippings at Smithsons Builders in the 50’s. They were V8 petrol engines same as was put in the Ford V8 Pilot cars. Cheers Dennis.

Hi Dennis, I too can remember those dark blue Ford V8s leading chippings from Threlkeld Quarry I also travelled a fair bit locally in Arnisons of Wigton lemonade wagon which was the same I presume. I remember going to Keswick Convention tent fairly early one beautiful summer morning with a full load of lemonade for the hundreds that attended the event with Wally Young driving. Wally amassed an extensive collection of antique and vintage lamps after retiring operated by oil, carbide electricity and candles etc as fitted to horsedrawn carts, waggons, gigs and early motor vehicles.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Dennis, do you know who was the driver of ■■■■ Stamper’s Leyland Steer when this photo was taken ?
Cheers, Leyland 600

Leyland600:
Dennis, do you know who was the driver of ■■■■ Stamper’s Leyland Steer when this photo was taken ?
Cheers, Leyland 600

Was it HTT ? Cheers Dennis.

Hi Dennis yes then his nephew and my mate Ken C fell heir to it and stil reminisces nostalgically about his days driving it for Sno-ball.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Bewick:

hodgeturbo:

Bewick:

hodgeturbo:

[zb] 'ell Hodge a Gadgy can’t earn a bit of “Black economy” even though the Quarry has been shut for years :blush: As a wee Lad living in ireby I can remember the Keswick Granite V 8 Fordsons tipping stock loads of chippings at Smithsons Builders in the 50’s. They were V8 petrol engines same as was put in the Ford V8 Pilot cars. Cheers Dennis.

Hiya,
Dennis, I hope those Fordsons V8s had a different engine oil lubrication
I had a couple of Pilots in my much younger days elderly second hand
cars could be bought for coppers they were gas guzzlers and were oil
lubricated by a sort of splash system of paddles fitted on the big end
caps and they used to come off and the big ends would go very quickly,
surely wouldn’t be a lot of use on a hard working tipper. I think later V8
Pilots were modified to oil pump lubrication, in those days it was like a
luxury motor car for a small initial outlay but with a crap engine. I sold
one with a sump full of gear oil to quieten it enough just to unload the
thing, and wasn’t they only 6 volt electrics ? not sure long time ago.