Cumbria companies

TA Pickhill

image.jpeg

PH

PH

hodgeturbo:
Probably have a look but don’t think I could have the 143 ready in time!!

OK Hodge wats the crack wid this big fine motor ? whats it’s spec and what are you ganner jur wid it eh! keep it as a pet ! Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

hodgeturbo:
Probably have a look but don’t think I could have the 143 ready in time!!

OK Hodge wats the crack wid this big fine motor ? whats it’s spec and what are you ganner jur wid it eh! keep it as a pet ! Cheers Dennis.

It’s a 420 8 speed box 3.08 diff 3.8 wheelbase 4x2 ex Arthur Eddie from Fraserburgh new to him October 94 I bought it from Reliable Renfrew in December 98 painted the chassis on Boxing Day put it on the road Jan 99.Ran it for about 6 years full time then on and off for another couple of years.Hoping to get it MOTed soon then tided up got new diesel tanks and exhaust for it cabs good just had a quote to paint all of it £10,000

First new freuhauf trailer

A good 25ton pay load on there I bet not bad for a v8 Hodge :laughing: :smiley:

Dennis, …you mentioned Peter Foden in one of your other posts.
It reminded me of a launch party ERF had for their ‘E’ series (1987 ish?) at that hotel just going into Penrith off the M6.
Peter Foden was there along with all the sales team from Eden Commercials, I just happened to be there, just curious if you were there.
(I know 30 yrs is a bit hard on the memory btw. :smiley: )

robroy:
Dennis, …you mentioned Peter Foden in one of your other posts.
It reminded me of a launch party ERF had for their ‘E’ series (1987 ish?) at that hotel just going into Penrith off the M6.
Peter Foden was there along with all the sales team from Eden Commercials, I just happened to be there, just curious if you were there.
(I know 30 yrs is a bit hard on the memory btw. :smiley: )

Hiya “Robroy” , I bought my last ERF’s in 1982 X and Y reg’s and the time I referred to when I met Peter Foden would be about 2 or 3 years earlier in about 79/80 when I complained about not been able to get hold of 240LXB chassis during the mid 70’s onwards and no I wasn’t at the launch you ask about. Obviously by the mid 80’s I could have got hold of as many Gardner engine chassis as I wanted but by this time Scania had taken over as the dominant marque in the Bewick fleet. I did however buy two Sed/Atk 265LXC units in '84 “A” reg’s but they were the last British units into the fleet and they actually did us a great job strange as it may seem ! Cheers Dennis.

Scarness Junction

image.jpeg

Back on the scene for me ! Aye , … I`m still about .

A Leyland Chieftain from the Furness area that has obviously seen better days
Photographed , At Rest , in Ulverston , December 2016 .

Cheers , cattle wagon man .

hodgeturbo:
Scarness Junction

Oh! Aye very sensational “Hodge” so 'war pulled yer out ? Marra wid a JCB 3C who was working along the road a bit eh! :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis. :blush:

Bewick:

hodgeturbo:
Scarness Junction

Oh! Aye very sensational “Hodge” so 'war pulled yer out ? Marra wid a JCB 3C who was working along the road a bit eh! :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis. :blush:

Didn’t need towed out got out on its own putting compounds in for pipeline job

Hi Hodge I was once in a similar position with my Mickey Mouse Foden S21 8 wheeler , travelling up the far side of Loch Ryan I suddenly saw the farm lonning I was looking for and swung in sharply, unfortunately the 6 ton of cement bags almost at the back end of the platform made the steering very light (I had already tipped 8 ton in Stranraer) There was a lot of loose gravel on the lonning end thus when the lightly loaded front axles got onto it she just difted across, luckily I managed to stop but not before the very front axle was suspended in mid air above a deep gutter running along the dyke back. I managed to quietly reverse back out without any damage luckily.
Cheers Leyland 600.

Similar happened to me once.

donkey-pulling-cart.jpg

:laughing:

A00501.JPG

Just pinched this from DEANB on the Paul Gee collection thread. :blush:
Looks like a Taits subbie from Carlisle.
I used to know a couple of those guys running out of Ravenscraig, but not this one T. Atkinson.

(Could be embarrassing for him if the passenger aint his wife btw. :smiley: )

Got to bump up this fine thread seeing as Hodge has gone awol ( Or to Benidorm for two weeks eh!) this is a shot of the AEC Marshal run by my old long gone Marra Harry Thompson which I believe replaced the Albion Reiver he ran. Cheers Bewick.

Yes Dennis, Harry bought this AEC Marshal to replace an Ergo cabbed Reiver at the time I was seriously contemplating buying a Marshal, however I decided to buy a second hand ERF 66GX six wheeler ex Jeff Stamper which proved to be an excellent buy, in the meantime Harry frequently grumbled about the AEC’s thirst for fuel and how he wished he had gone down the Gardner path as I did.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Leyland600:
Yes Dennis, Harry bought this AEC Marshal to replace an Ergo cabbed Reiver at the time I was seriously contemplating buying a Marshal, however I decided to buy a second hand ERF 66GX six wheeler ex Jeff Stamper which proved to be an excellent buy, in the meantime Harry frequently grumbled about the AEC’s thirst for fuel and how he wished he had gone down the Gardner path as I did.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Hiya Gerald, I recall that when 16ton gvw were de-licenced when Operator Licencing started Harry bought a new ERF 4 wheeler with what was then called the Gardner 120 engine. And a Lad called Rodney started for him. Rodney had been driving for H & L and I recall he drove a Dennis Maxim ? artic. Used to see him in the digs at L. Colney. I don’t know how long he worked for HT though. Cheers Dennis.

Gotta keep this fine thread up front and centre !! :wink:
A shot of one of the many, many, loads of Pig iron that were produced at Workington over many years and I can recall the first time I came into contact with a load would be when I was about 11 years old and used to travel all over with Robbie and Alex Boyes in their respective Traders ! IIRC the load of pig Iron was delivered to a Foundry in Barnsley and had to be thrown off by hand ! Then we loaded straw back from somewhere in Lincolnshire back to ■■■■■■■■■■ as it was called then ! The shot here is of 20ton on one of my tipper trailers and would be towards the end of Pig Iron production at Workington. I wouldn’t fancy “hand balling” that lot over the side :open_mouth: Cheers Bewick.