Crap pay :(

You need to be very careful Pat , regularly running over because of a “breakdown” will get your arse nailed to the wall should the authorities choose . Safe haven can be excused periodically but that’s about the limit .
Maybe you need to change jobs :laughing:

flat to the mat:
You need to be very careful Pat , regularly running over because of a “breakdown” will get your arse nailed to the wall should the authorities choose . Safe haven can be excused periodically but that’s about the limit .

I agree, that’s why I try to avoid it at all costs but when I am in the middle of nowhere there is no way I am going to sit for 8 or 10 hours with no facilities, I have even told a DOT cop that once when I pointed out to him at an inspection that I had run over time to reach safe parking with such facilities, he agreed and let the matter go. Our elogs actually have the 2 hour exemption visible on the screen and if I go over the 14 hours it just shows 2 extra hours available but it only allows it once in every working week. I would never use it to get home if it means passing a truck stop or service area, I have often spent the night at the truck stop in Wilton NY which is only 30 minutes from home to avoid doing so, on some occasions Kate has driven out to the place to have dinner with me LOL.

Pat Hasler:

flat to the mat:

I agree, that’s why I try to avoid it at all costs but when I am in the middle of nowhere there is no way I am going to sit for 8 or 10 hours with no facilities, I have even told a DOT cop that once when I pointed out to him at an inspection that I had run over time to reach safe parking with such facilities, he agreed and let the matter go. Our elogs actually have the 2 hour exemption visible on the screen and if I go over the 14 hours it just shows 2 extra hours available but it only allows it once in every working week. I would never use it to get home if it means passing a truck stop or service area, I have often spent the night at the truck stop in Wilton NY which is only 30 minutes from home to avoid doing so, on some occasions Kate has driven out to the place to have dinner with me LOL.

Pat, this is exactly why I hate these Elogs, and nothing with being able to get the job done, say you’re 20mins from the truckstop you want to stop at and 2 hrs or whatever past the last one, with a paper log, do the extra 20mins, with Elog, up ■■■■ creek or stop 2hrs before which has ■■■■■■ that day up and the next day and then add speed limiters in the mix, mileage down = pay down.
I’m glad I gave up long haul, now, no logs, I stay within 160K’s of base, speed limiter to 121kph and hourly pay.

There are other options also, for instance, if I drop the trailer and change the details to no trailer then log out I am permitted to drive up to 60 miles bobtail as private miles, it’s permitted by the DOT. I often use this method to go to a diner or head into the city for something.

Pat Hasler:
There are other options also, for instance, if I drop the trailer and change the details to no trailer then log out I am permitted to drive up to 60 miles bobtail as private miles, it’s permitted by the DOT. I often use this method to go to a diner or head into the city for something.

You miss his point. You would still have had to stop at the truck spot 2 hours ago and would have been unable to get to the one twenty minutes ahead. What he meant is that with the elog he would have been stoppint two hours and twenty minutes earlier than without.

You could certainly have used personal conveyance to move the unit sixty miles but it wouldn’t really have anything to do with your working day, you still have to get back to wherever you left the unit.

I know you are very enthusiastic regarding the new logs, but some out here are very capable of living within the rules without the machine.

You have mentioned before of the benefit you gain from the machine being able to work out your split sleeper provision. Its really not that hard to understand and apply those rules all on your own.

Almost all of those who disagree with those who welcome the change of rules dont do so because they are dishonest but because they are free thinking individuals able to acept responsibilities but dislike unnecessary interference in their job.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Most of these guys on this forum are expats obviously, they had to work with tachographs in the UK I don’t see what the fuss is all about ?

Pat Hasler:
Most of these guys on this forum are expats obviously, they had to work with tachographs in the UK I don’t see what the fuss is all about ?

It isn’t about the log at all, its all about the constant drip drip drip of unnecessary interference in our job.

To most people able to operate a pencil the job these machines do for the driver is non existant, but the loss of another area of driver responsibility is not progressive. It has no bearing at all on safety.

These rule changes are originating in the office of the ATA, who represent 75% of capacity in the US. They need a dumbed down level playing field so their constantly changing inexperienced operatives can compete with the small fleets and owner ops thalt get the job done much more efficiently. With speed limiters, elogs and rules making driving tests easier when we’re dumbed down to their level we all have to compete on price. Thats a problem then because with their economies of scale no one can compete.

Then, in 10 years time, its like Europe where the market is 95% large companies with low profits leaving a thin time for the free thinker who just wants to get on with his job.

This isn’t about breaking the rules or being an outlaw at all, I am contracted to a firm which insists on sticking to the hos rules.

I hope you can understand a different point of view, and remind anyone who reads this that OOIDA are the only people fighting this and other proposed changes to our job, its worth joining up in the hope of delaying the inevitable slide into automation. There is, I think, a link between a truck so weighed down by automation and electronics its nothing like todays trucks at all, in fact it wont need a driver.

Its nearer than we think, and to me, supporting these insidious rules is like a turkey supporting xmas.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I am lucky in that my company always ask “can you do this job legally ?” before then assign any load. They also pay me as I have stated a weekly guaranteed minimum which is well above the amount I earn on paper and so make up the amount with a large payment, some weeks that extra pay can be over $800 if I have not done much, that week with the Toronto run for $219 also had $150 border crossing pay and a drop and hook in CT for $250 making a total of $619, my company had to put $731 extra in my pay, other companies do not pay this guarantee, how guys cope with that I don’t know ? The thing is that those on paper logs may be compelled to break the law to do extra and make a living, my company do not expect any driver to work illegally in any way. I am as I said all for elogs but other companies must come up with better pay systems to keep drivers. The first company I worked for in the USA is small with only 14 trucks has now switched to elogs, they cover a smaller area than most, just the north east from PA up to ME and no farther west than Buffalo, they have started a system where if a driver can’t get back to base any night and take another run the next day he or she will get a $40 lay over (night out) pay and also $150 for the next day when they just go home. This is the sort of promise others would have to come up with.

hi pat back in canada m8 wish the pay was like that on pei lol .start work tues i look out 4ya i be in green prostar not midland with bull bars stay well m8

Hi Steve

Are you back in Canada, I thought you had had enough and had left Canada for good, as you were tired of not being paid for waiting, resets and all that usual Canadian treatment.
What happened then?
Not had much luck in the UK?

hi m8 yes it just seems so different everytime i go back the ex commi bloc mob have taken over m8 i had decent job gd truck and pay but the traffic everyday just nightmare any good eurowork seems to have gone .the main reason is im not going to work till retirement paying for the mob sitting on the dole so here iam

Re you planning to be staying for good in East of Canada or are you thinking about moving west?
What about not being paid for waiting and resets, won’t it bother you anymore?

not really m8 hopefully job ive dropped on wont be much of that just have to take good with bad if im staying well see what happens

When tachos came in in the UK, 70s wasn’t it? I was the only driver I knew that welcomed them. I felt that at last we could resist the blandishments of the companies that wanted us to run silly hours. I had once worked for a company that refused to pay more than 23 hours a day because the boss didn’t believe that no driver would go without his lunch. :open_mouth:

OK, a bit of an exaggeration, but the point was well made.

Here in France I noticed more than once that minor infringements were ignored. A Ministry man once said ok after he noticed that I had run 15 minutes without a disc, 2 hours after I had logged off. ‘You were looking for a restaurant weren’t you?’ :smiley:

rigsby:

Pat Hasler:

hkloss1:
I don’t know why, but I get instantly attracted to join a conversation when rates of pay are being mention for US/Canada driving jobs.
Any company in Canada paying equivalent of usd 150 for crossing the border each way, once you get your PR?

I wouldn’t know ? I didn’t live in Canada, I don’t have a PR because I don’t need one, I live in the USA and hold a green card :smiley:

My daughter has a green card , this year’s big decision , to apply for citizenship or not . She’s married to an American but fiercely proud of her British roots . What would your take on that be Pat ? . Dave

If she is proud of her country I think it would be wrong to take US citizenship, as I said I will never denounce my country and as I have explained to people here who say I should do it, ‘If you moved to the UK and were asked to denounce the USA would you ?’
The answer is always ‘No way’
If your daughter for some reason decided to move back to her homeland she would be liable to pay tax to the USA for life.

Pat Hasler:

rigsby:

Pat Hasler:

hkloss1:
I don’t know why, but I get instantly attracted to join a conversation when rates of pay are being mention for US/Canada driving jobs.
Any company in Canada paying equivalent of usd 150 for crossing the border each way, once you get your PR?

I wouldn’t know ? I didn’t live in Canada, I don’t have a PR because I don’t need one, I live in the USA and hold a green card :smiley:

My daughter has a green card , this year’s big decision , to apply for citizenship or not . She’s married to an American but fiercely proud of her British roots . What would your take on that be Pat ? . Dave

If she is proud of her country I think it would be wrong to take US citizenship, as I said I will never denounce my country and as I have explained to people here who say I should do it, ‘If you moved to the UK and were asked to denounce the USA would you ?’
If your daughter for some reason decided to move back to her homeland she would be liable to pay tax to the USA for life.

Pat, we don’t denounce the U.K. We have duel citizenship. I have both passports. My daughter is American and will be getting her British/European passport later this year.
If I was to return to the U.K. I believe I would have to file taxes but not necessarily pay any if I haven’t earned any money. If you have money invested and there is interest earned you would pay tax on that money.

You never know what’s going to happen when you stay on a green card, even if you are married to an American. They would prefer you to take citizenship. Back in the late 90’s when I took out my citizenship there was a rush on as there was a possibility you couldn’t claim your social security (pension) unless you were a citizen. All the New York Jews panicked!

Its a personal choice.
Regards Paul

A friend of mine took citizenship last summer and had to denounce the UK so maybe it’s a new thing ? I don’t care really about the status here, I stay here for my wife and daughter, if they took away my green card then sent me back I would have to go. I don’t care for the way the citizens of this country are treated by the GOP anyway. Take away Obama care and I am a dead man if I stay here.

Pat Hasler:

rigsby:

Pat Hasler:

hkloss1:

I’m no immigration lawyer but in my experience if you are ever entitled to a certificate, qualification or other piece of paper you should make sure you get it as soon as you can as you never know when you might really need it and you might no longer qualify.

An opportunity to get another passport is very rare and should not be passed up In my opinion.

Many people hold dual or more passports and there is no problem or conflict at all with this. Dual citizenship is common.

(Edit: See next post by John Paul with information about which passport to use for travelling base on his recent experience.)

The only drawback with the Green Card is you cannot leave the US for too long at a time or you will be deemed to have abandoned your status and you loose the card.

I think the guidelines are more than 6 months out and an immigration officer can question you to see if you have abandoned your ties. More than 12 months and the officer will take the card and you will have to go to a judge to try get it back which is very difficult.

The is no difference in the tax situation for US passport holders or green card holders. Even if you are working and living outside the US you must still file a US tax return every year as was already said but it applies to both passport and green card holders.

However your worldwide income would have to exceed $100,000 per annum before any tax would kick in and there is deductibles after that. So if you are going abroad to make a large fortune you might want to surrender your passport/gc beforehand if you do not want Uncle Sam to have his cut.

The problem is if you are living outside the US for a year you have technically abandoned your Green Card entitlement.

These are big and important decisions so make an informed choice.

I hope the information I have given is accurate and helpful but in case I’m wrong do your research into these important matters.

Hurryupandwait. Hi, just one piece of info there that may be wrong. When I had my green card I did leave the U.S. using it but entered the U.K. with my British passport and got it stamped on entry and exit.
Now when I leave with my U.S. passport, I have to enter the U.K. on that. They will not let me use my U.K. passport or stamp it. What they will do is ask how long I want to stay, as obviously there is no time restriction as long as I show them my U.K. passport. As I had return tickets I just said I would be returning to the U.S. on those dates.
When I check in here for my departing flight to the U.K. they do ask me if I have dual citizenship which I reply I do and they ask to see my British passport.
I just had to update some bank info and it knew I had dual citizenship, I had to confirm which country. I had not furnished that info to the bank previously!
Years ago it was easy to get in and out of the States, but since 9/11 its all changed. However the visa waiver program for people vacationing is a big loophole! When I first came mid 80s you had to apply for an entry visa, and were vetted prior to authorization.

Paul

Thanks for that correction JP.

Freaking very strange that even the banks were in on it too. :open_mouth:
I will edit my post so as not to put people wrong.

Cheers. HW.