Covid 19 not good news

From the beginning there has been an automatic assumption that a viable vaccine was possible, which to me seems just a knee-jerk piece of political rhetoric to mollify the public. That, together with the shambolic and often contradictory advice/guidelines/regulation coming from our Government has contributed to the second wave we’re seeing now.

But here’s some basic facts anyone can glean from a little perusal of sensible internet sites:
Covid-19 is the disease we witness, the virus which causes it is more accurately known as Sars-CoV-2, which is just one of a large family of viruses collectively termed Coronaviridae.

The Common Cold is a viral infection, most often caused by a rhinovirus, but sometimes by members of the corona virus family. Countless millions has been spent over many decades trying to cure that particular disease. Do we have a vaccine for that? Of course not. Then why do people think we can develop a vaccine to Sars-CoV-2 in record breaking short time? There’s little sound basis for thinking that.

As for immunity, the evidence so far remains as yet unclear, but there are suggestions that immunity may be short-lived, though as they say it’s not necessarily a cause for panic
medscape.com/viewarticle/936196

And we now have a documented example of reinfection occurring
medscape.com/viewarticle/936251

Yes we do need to try to get on with commerce/education/life in general, but the more the various governments around the world ignore the reality of this by trying to “get back to normal”, the more cases we’ll see in the future.

I stuck to the first lockdown and followed the rules to a T. Would I again for a second? not a chance and neither would anyone I know

just let it run its course FFS, it’s going no where and at this point the economy should be the priority. The sooner its treated similar to the flu or any other low risk virus the better.

Re infection is possible but those involved will only get super mild symptoms for a day or two according to the medical experts while the body invokes its memory system

If our Govt are serious about a mini lockdown then schools (bug central) have to be closed otherwise it is pointless

Juddian:
Short circuiting safety testing? seriously

As I said, in the UK, no. However:
sciencemag.org/news/2020/08 … ss-release
Russia?
sciencemag.org/news/2020/08 … cares-some
USA?
Both seem to put politics and nationalistic interests above safety.
And here is a report on that source:
mediabiasfactcheck.com/science-magazine/

What annoys me is when they pour my pint , bar staff hold the top two thirds of the glass , so their fingers touch the rim where you drink from , they should hold the bottom two thirds , it ain’t rocket science .
Muppets that have their noses sticking out their face covering , idiots .
People that put the part of the face mask where you breathe out in to , face down on the counter when ordering food or drink or face down on a table where everyone has sneezed or coughed on .
Morons that don’t follow the one way system inside shopping centers or on the high street so they breathe on you a foot away , and these people may drive cars and can’t follow a simple instruction .
There’s is folks coughing everywhere I go , and we are not in cold , damp conditions yet where everyone huddles up together in coffee shops to keep warm .

maga:
I stuck to the first lockdown and followed the rules to a T. Would I again for a second? not a chance and neither would anyone I know

just let it run its course FFS, it’s going no where and at this point the economy should be the priority. The sooner its treated similar to the flu or any other low risk virus the better.

I’d say look back at Pierreot’s first post:
the current rules are more relaxed than the initial hard lockdown, but they are too often being ignored.
This is partly leading to the rise in infections. If the current rules were followed more strictly then maybe the rise wouldn’t be so sharp.
There would be less chance of a stricter lockdown, and less chance of economic damage if we all showed a bit more sense in our behaviour.
There maybe no need to shut pubs totally if staff wear masks when pouring drinks etc. If we all modify our behaviour a bit now, then we could avoid harsher measures later.
Schools going back, office workers being asked back in, all contribute of course, but we can help ourselves and our families by our behaviour now.

Looking at the stupidity of politicians and their cronies shouldn’t negate the choices we ourselves make.
Just because some in power behave like selfish privileged idiots isn’t much reason for the rest of us to copy them.

ROG:
Re infection is possible but those involved will only get super mild symptoms for a day or two according to the medical experts while the body invokes its memory system

If our Govt are serious about a mini lockdown then schools (bug central) have to be closed otherwise it is pointless

It really is far too early for these sort of predictions

Franglais:

maga:

the current rules are more relaxed than the initial hard lockdown, but they are too often being ignored.
This is partly leading to the rise in infections. If the current rules were followed more strictly then maybe the rise wouldn’t be so sharp.
There would be less chance of a stricter lockdown, and less chance of economic damage if we all showed a bit more sense in our behaviour.
There maybe no need to shut pubs totally if staff wear masks when pouring drinks etc. If we all modify our behaviour a bit now, then we could avoid harsher measures later.
Schools going back, office workers being asked back in, all contribute of course, but we can help ourselves and our families by our behaviour now.

Looking at the stupidity of politicians and their cronies shouldn’t negate the choices we ourselves make.
Just because some in power behave like selfish privileged idiots isn’t much reason for the rest of us to copy them.

Franglais you seem to have the most reasonable knowledge on the subject.I wish I had the time to elaborate. People are the problem. Politicians and the public alike.

For all the government’s faults in dealing with Covid 19, it is not them but the public that is spreading the virus, the UK public seem to have collectively lost their ability to use common sense. After 7 months if you don’t know to keep your journeys to a minimum only to mix with people within your household keep your distance from others and wear a mask then TBH you’re thick as mince. As Pierrot did if you are unhappy with a situation walk away, people need to take some personal responsibility, doesn’t help with politicians of all parties treating the public. Apparently according to a Labour MP the rise in cases amongst the Asian community is nothing to do with their behaviour but the fact that the government hasn’t translated everything into all the Asian languages that are spoken in the UK, again another case of why you need to speak the language of the country you live in.

Franglais:

maga:

Franglais you live here, you know how it is.

Restaurants/Bars : All staff wear masks, you have to enter the premises wearing a mask, you cannot drink at the bar.
Shops/Supermarkets : All staff will be wearing a mask.
. . . … . . . … . . . . . . If you’re not wearing a mask, you wont be allowed in. No security staff, it’s the members of staff that will ask you to leave
There are certain cities/towns where you have to where a mask everywhere, walking down the streets, filling up, supermarket car parks.
I’m sure I could add loads of places but those above seem to me to be the most important.

This is what should be enforced in the UK. !!
I’m not saying you have to wear it 24/7,
but where there is massive contact between staff and the public it has to be warn !!!
On both sides of the counter .

Wearing masks isnt a magic bullet, but it is a visible reminder to us all to act differently. Staying further apart when talking or doing business, washing or disinfecting hands, thinking twice about any trip, all add up. Small acts, small inconveniences now, may help prevent bigger problems later. As Pierrot says I work mostly in France all week, and the whole attitude here seems different: no-one is happy about it, but everyone seems to accept the need for personal responsibility and self control. Mostly no masks in the open air, but a very different story indoors. No one Ive spoken to here says it is some Commie/Fascist/Left/Right conspiracy. It is a very nasty virus, that is causing problems, and needs treating with respect and caution, but no need for most of us to hide in bunkers.

Franglais:
Wearing masks isnt a magic bullet, but it is a visible reminder to us all to act differently. Staying further apart when talking or doing business, washing or disinfecting hands, thinking twice about any trip, all add up. Small acts, small inconveniences now, may help prevent bigger problems later. As Pierrot says I work mostly in France all week, and the whole attitude here seems different: no-one is happy about it, but everyone seems to accept the need for personal responsibility and self control. Mostly no masks in the open air, but a very different story indoors. No one Ive spoken to here says it is some Commie/Fascist/Left/Right conspiracy. It is a very nasty virus, that is causing problems, and needs treating with respect and caution, but no need for most of us to hide in bunkers.

The conspiracy theory only exists on here [emoji6][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jakethesnake:

ROG:

bbc.co.uk/news/health-52446965

ROG:

jakethesnake:

ROG:

bbc.co.uk/news/health-52446965

From Roger`s link:
“These are all big questions we still lack answers to.”

Listened to the two experts today on TV special briefing
They seemed to be blaming the group in their 20s because they have more positive tests from that group BUT we all know children rarely show symptoms but can spread it

I bet they lock down loads except schools where I suspect the main problems is
Wait for about 2 weeks after not locking down schools - I bet it is still going very high

Is it time for people to begin looking at Covid with their eyes open?

Fact: In the year 2009/10, more people died of the Flu than have thus far been killed by Covid.

Fact: The Governments’ own figures give an average mortality age of OVER 80 YEARS OLD!

Fact: Number of people who have died, where Covid has been mentioned on the death certificate is approximately 0.07%
Yes. Not 7%, not 70% but fractions of 1%!

Fact: Of the people who have died where Covid 19 has been mentioned on the death certificate, approximately 50% lived in Care homes

Do the maths. That means that, in the general population, the number of deaths is approximately 0.037%!

Fractions of one percent yet the Media, and The Government (!) go on as if there are bodies piling up on street corners, yet the number of people who have died is less than a quarter of the number of people who would be in Wembley for something like an FA Cup final!

Can we PLEASE start getting some flipping context and a bit of common sense applied!

Win-Stone:

Fact: In the year 2009/10, more people died of the Flu than have thus far been killed by Covid.

Fact: The Governments’ own figures give an average mortality age of OVER 80 YEARS OLD!

Fact: Number of people who have died, where Covid has been mentioned on the death certificate is approximately 0.07%

Fact: Of the people who have died where Covid 19 has been mentioned on the death certificate, approximately 50% lived in Care homes

Do the maths. That means that, in the general population, the number of deaths is approximately 0.037%!

Fractions of one percent yet the Media, and The Government (!) go on as if there are bodies piling up on street corners, yet the number of people who have died is less than a quarter of the number of people who would be in Wembley for something like an FA Cup final!

Can we PLEASE start getting some flipping context and a bit of common sense applied!

So it is now perfectly in order following the Battle of Britain anniversary commemorations to say to the generation who gave up so much for our benefit:" thanks but we’ve heard enough about you now, so be good and shuffle off quietly because you are threatening the prospects for our holiday in majorca."

Nice one. huh. :imp:

Win-Stone:

+1…

There’s gonna be some slack in the figures but which ever way you cut it, it isn’t the instant death plague the government and media are making it out to be.

I’m wearing my mask and walking around people but at this rate the country will be on it’s knees unless we get back to normal.

cav551:

Win-Stone:

So it is now perfectly in order following the Battle of Britain anniversary commemorations to say to the generation who gave up so much for our benefit:" thanks but we’ve heard enough about you now, so be good and shuffle off quietly because you are threatening the prospects for our holiday in majorca."

Yes mate, a nice one posted by a bloke who has both fought for his country and is the wrong side of 60! Pull your head out of the panic stricken media and use your brain. If you have one.

cav551:

That’s not…

What he said.

The sad fact is the older generation are the most at risk.