Considering Moving To Canada

Many thanks to Robinhood for all the time and trouble that it took to put all that stuff on the thread. A lot of people come on here and ask the same Canada questions. I always try and help but there is nothing really I can add to Robinhood’s posts. Well done that man.

Radar19:
Thanks for the info! I suppose it all boils down to experience. I did call some companies last year about it but none of them said they employ from the UK so I left it at that. Also, the job market has changed now so its a lot harder to get in. How did you cover things like a CDL? I know that our licenses hold no water over there.

Your UK car driving licence is a straight swap for a Canadian car licence, motorbike too if you have one, a truck licence is not transferable though. For the class 1 bit I was given a spare truck in the yard and a trailer to hook to and told to bugger off and drive around the local area until I got the hang of the crash box. Technically speaking I should of had someone with me but this is New Brunswick and you can get away with almost anything here. I used the same truck a week or so later for my road test, which was a piece of cake. The hardest bit is having to learn all the air brake nonsense they’re obsessed with over here, but I somehow managed to stumble through that and pass. From arriving in Canada to passing my test was 9 days and I was on the road later the same day earning a dollar.

ChrisArbon:
Many thanks to Robinhood for all the time and trouble that it took to put all that stuff on the thread. A lot of people come on here and ask the same Canada questions. I always try and help but there is nothing really I can add to Robinhood’s posts. Well done that man.

Thanks Chris. I always try and do my bit if I can.

robinhood_1984:

Radar19:
Thanks for the info! I suppose it all boils down to experience. I did call some companies last year about it but none of them said they employ from the UK so I left it at that. Also, the job market has changed now so its a lot harder to get in. How did you cover things like a CDL? I know that our licenses hold no water over there.

Your UK car driving licence is a straight swap for a Canadian car licence, motorbike too if you have one, a truck licence is not transferable though. For the class 1 bit I was given a spare truck in the yard and a trailer to hook to and told to bugger off and drive around the local area until I got the hang of the crash box. Technically speaking I should of had someone with me but this is New Brunswick and you can get away with almost anything here. I used the same truck a week or so later for my road test, which was a piece of cake. The hardest bit is having to learn all the air brake nonsense they’re obsessed with over here, but I somehow managed to stumble through that and pass. From arriving in Canada to passing my test was 9 days and I was on the road later the same day earning a dollar.

You make it seem so easy! :laughing: I think I’m going to get my Class 1, do a year here then see if I can head across the pond. Unless I can get a foothold at some point this year.

Radar19:
You make it seem so easy! :laughing: I think I’m going to get my Class 1, do a year here then see if I can head across the pond. Unless I can get a foothold at some point this year.

I know people who have come here without experience and managed to get a job but it’ll be easier with a year or two, and I’d personally count your class 2 experience as well. When you come to apply for PNP/PR you’ll need to demonstrate a certain amount of experience to be eligible, I think its two years perhaps. A year in the UK and a year in Canada would be enough to satisfy that in that case.

robinhood_1984:

Radar19:

I know people who have come here without experience and managed to get a job but it’ll be easier with a year or two, and I’d personally count your class 2 experience as well. When you come to apply for PNP/PR you’ll need to demonstrate a certain amount of experience to be eligible, I think its two years perhaps. A year in the UK and a year in Canada would be enough to satisfy that in that case.

So the first step really to get in touch with Canadian companies then? Sorry if I’m asking silly questions here, I’m still trying to wrap my head around it all.

Radar19:
So the first step really to get in touch with Canadian companies then? Sorry if I’m asking silly questions here, I’m still trying to wrap my head around it all.

There are no silly questions mate. If you don’t know something, you don’t know and the only way to find out is to ask.

As a young single guy, you don’t have to worry too much about the job, like a family man would so your options are larger if your main interest is to travel and see how things go from there.

But yes, you’ll need to get in touch with some companies and find ones who are able or willing to get an LMIA for you. This is getting quite hard at the moment but it may be better when you come round to wanting to do it. Even better if you have a holiday over here at some point and knock on a few doors. Many companies here ignore emails but will be much more willing in person. I know my previous firm (not my first company, I’d recommend them to nobody) are still getting drivers on LMIA’s right now and for a single adventurer it’d be a good job, not much cop for the family man though. If you’re more interested in Manitoba or Saskatchewan then asking some of the chaps on the expat forum where to start there would be the best thing.

If you want to experience Manitoba or Saskatchewan then it’s easy, take yourself out to the middle of nowhere, get in a freezer and stay there for 8months, then get out and repeatedly stab yourself with needles to simulate being bitten by mosquitoes. Job done.

If you are interested in farm work, in
America there is combine driving, they work in teams, covering most of the states.
The hours are very long, the pay is low, but an amazing experience.
They recruit foreign drivers,and also need truck drivers to haul the grain.
I had the chance to do combining under the Young farmers visa exchange programme, I was given a J I student visa and worked on a dairy farm in Michigan then on a tree plantation in Fort Lauderdale.
One English lad on the scheme, never went back to the UK, got his Green card by marrying a local.
I managed to find work without a Green card,working on sky scrapers, fixing steel,this was a long time ago, im sure you couldn’t get away with cash jobs now.

Socketset:
They have four seasons just like Essex, but three of them are winter.

You don’t have dartcharge over there though. :grimacing:

Radar19:

robinhood_1984:

Radar19:

Radar, go on the cic.gov website. There is a visa called IEC (International Experience Class), they are for 18-30 yr olds.
A 1 yr open work permit that you can do twice giving you 2 yrs, for anywhere in Canada. They dish out 10,000 every year around Dec/Jan. in 2 stages of 5,000. You subscribe to the programme, gather your documents then wait for the programme to open.
This is the easiest way by a million miles for a young trucker to get here and gain employment, NO LMIA needed, Companies will love this but it’s upto you to find a decent company, if you don’t like the company/ Province then move on, you are not tied to a company or Province, you are the ideal age for this visa, yeeehhhaaaa.

neilg14:
Radar, go on the cic.gov website. There is a visa called IEC (International Experience Class), they are for 18-30 yr olds.
A 1 yr open work permit that you can do twice giving you 2 yrs, for anywhere in Canada. They dish out 10,000 every year around Dec/Jan. in 2 stages of 5,000. You subscribe to the programme, gather your documents then wait for the programme to open.
This is the easiest way by a million miles for a young trucker to get here and gain employment, NO LMIA needed, Companies will love this but it’s upto you to find a decent company, if you don’t like the company/ Province then move on, you are not tied to a company or Province, you are the ideal age for this visa, yeeehhhaaaa.

Thats a very good idea if he can get on of those visa’s. Just remember though, you’ll need to be in a province that offers PNP for truckers if you do decide to stay and if you chop and change jobs that could go against you when you apply for PNP. As I’ve said before, I personally know two drivers here in NB who were knocked back for PNP because they’d moved companies a few times and were told to re-apply in two years etc.

robinhood_1984:

neilg14:

Thats a very good idea if he can get on of those visa’s. Just remember though, you’ll need to be in a province that offers PNP for truckers if you do decide to stay and if you chop and change jobs that could go against you when you apply for PNP. As I’ve said before, I personally know two drivers here in NB who were knocked back for PNP because they’d moved companies a few times and were told to re-apply in two years etc.

I think it’s only Ontario that isn’t in the PNP, BTW great piece above, can it not be tagged to the top then anyone interested in moving here can be pointed there first, and you missed BC Robinhood. :slight_smile:

newmercman:
If you want to experience Manitoba or Saskatchewan then it’s easy, take yourself out to the middle of nowhere, get in a freezer and stay there for 8months, then get out and repeatedly stab yourself with needles to simulate being bitten by mosquitoes. Job done.

Love this post NMM :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

essexvibes:
Hi, I am considering moving to Canada and taking on a HGV job out there however i know nothing about emigrating there or they’re requirements and am wondering if anyone has any general advice or information on the subject?

Thanks

hi try westcanbulk.ca/ they get your work permit and a good job

blazer1964:

essexvibes:
Hi, I am considering moving to Canada and taking on a HGV job out there however i know nothing about emigrating there or they’re requirements and am wondering if anyone has any general advice or information on the subject?

Thanks

hi try westcanbulk.ca/ they get your work permit and a good job

Haha, yeah right.

u wanna travel all usa and canada m8 and u got spare 150grand do it the nice way fly over to usa anywhere rent big car 4mths of work and then u see it all with no little hitler dispatch telling u where to go /when to stop/not/stop . trust me it will be cheaper and way more enjoyable gd luck :smiley:

I spent three weeks on the Amtrak train, seeing most of the USA, stopping for a few days at the major cities.
You can take the Via rail train that runs from Toronto to Vancouver or vice versa, the journey crosses the mountains, and the flat lands of the grain producing areas.
To save money on the sleeper car supplements, I slept on the floor of the carriage with the panoramic roof .
You also meet folks from all walks of life on a train journey.
Hiring a camper van is another option.
Go your own pace, not the planners pace or the dispatcher.
There is not much to see in the Mid West of America, it is the bible bashers belt, with Mormons,Jehovias Witness and born again Christians.
My favourite states are Virginia, North and South Carolina, Montana,Wyoming,Eastern Seaboard states with Martha’s Vineyard, where the President hangs out and Cape Cod.

I’m out of the loop now, but robinhood was kind enough to let me copy his post and put it on my old blog, so if anyone has mates who are interested they can read it here… mickflynn.blogspot.co.uk/

If anyone else has anything they would like to put on the blog, just let me know. The only criteria is it must be factual.

Radar19:
I want to drive in Canada and the US. I have about £150K in the bank thanks to inheritance. 24, single with nothing holding me to this rock. Only problem is, I have about 6 months class 2 experience and no class 1(yet).

All through school all I wanted to do was drive a truck, absolutely obsessed with them and I still am. 20 years on and the novelty is starting to wear off but the problem is I’m stuck doing it, no other trade or qualifications to fall back on. To retrain now would mean a massive wage cut for a good few years and with a family to support it’s out of the question. If I was you then by all means do your class 1 and follow your dreams but if you havnt already got a back up plan put the 150k to good use first and get a trade or similar while you are still young with no ties for something to fall back on if you become disillusioned with the haulage game. It has changed so much over the past few years and I can’t see it getting any better