Compare the UK trucking to Canadian

hope you are looking at mpi driver quizzes etc,airbrake,class 1 and just hae a wee look at the class 5 on passing,mind in MB you can get your bike licence transferred as well (class6). NOT trying to put you off as anyway in to Canada is a good way as long as you realise its a way to a means!, as MB is among the best to get PR /. Just be aware and don’t let them bend you over :open_mouth: they are A BIG CO. 1500 UNITS OVER 4K TRAILERS so they need you more than you need them so to speak :unamused: . my mate told me they are on Elogs now as well. Now I went on a 6 week course when I came over not that I wanted to but the company I went with told me to take it (paid it myself and claimed most of it back on taxes) I had 26yrs experience and needed a lot o bad habits beaten out o me …if I remember it was class room full days road rules USA /Canada logbooks & hints cough cough. .Half days driving tuition (added up to a week) tests,learning the pre trip,airbrakes ,brake adjustment then workshop chains etc getting me ready to start straight away. The company had some drivers do it the cheap way …a weeks (4 half days)then test training then fail a couple o times OR pass then didn’t know FA about logbooks USA/CA. HOS and getting fined.

I think you’ll find that the training period all depends on how you progress. If you can drive a truck and learn procedure in a few weeks, then you will be out trucking soon after. They do send you out with mentor drivers to show you how it all works in the real world too and that is classed as training, from what I know, Bison do not use this as a cheap team operation, the mentor logs on with you and vice versa, so it’s a lot better than some of the horror stories out there.

I don’t think you could go wrong with Bison, as long as you can cope with working at a big company. Like any Canadian company, trying to get them to change or telling them that they’re doing something wrong will make life miserable for you, it’s best to keep your head down and your mouth shut.

And don’t forget to bring your shovel [emoji23] [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-T805W using Tapatalk

Bison , Manitoba PNP , you could end up somewhere a lot worse . Not one their biggest fans since one of their bloody pike drivers forced my wife into a ditch during a snow storm a few years back , or since one of their wraparound pike drivers passed me at maybe 115kph sitting sideways with both feet up on top of the dashboard :unamused: , but , they do seem to have a good safety record somehow , they apparently take training and mentoring seriously (hence the simulator ), and are well established with plenty of variety regards the work . Property prices around Winnipeg are pretty decent too . Yeap they’re a fairly safe bet to get you started , you might even like working for them .

newmercman:
I think you’ll find that the training period all depends on how you progress. If you can drive a truck and learn procedure in a few weeks, then you will be out trucking soon after. They do send you out with mentor drivers to show you how it all works in the real world too and that is classed as training, from what I know, Bison do not use this as a cheap team operation, the mentor logs on with you and vice versa, so it’s a lot better than some of the horror stories out there.

I don’t think you could go wrong with Bison, as long as you can cope with working at a big company. Like any Canadian company, trying to get them to change or telling them that they’re doing something wrong will make life miserable for you, it’s best to keep your head down and your mouth shut.

And don’t forget to bring your shovel [emoji23] [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-T805W using Tapatalk

Yeah, I work for a big company in the UK, working for a big customer… Pointless to say anything :smiley: Learnt a lot about it during the 4 years I work for them. But thank you for this advice, as “every little helps”… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: To be honest, watched what I found on Youtube about them and it seems, they really put an effort on the new driver’s training. In one of those videos the candidate drives a bull nose Volvo, if I’m not wrong, it has the same I-shift gearbox like the FH I drive in the UK every night… :sunglasses:

flat to the mat:
Bison , Manitoba PNP , you could end up somewhere a lot worse . Not one their biggest fans since one of their bloody pike drivers forced my wife into a ditch during a snow storm a few years back , or since one of their wraparound pike drivers passed me at maybe 115kph sitting sideways with both feet up on top of the dashboard :unamused: , but , they do seem to have a good safety record somehow , they apparently take training and mentoring seriously (hence the simulator ), and are well established with plenty of variety regards the work . Property prices around Winnipeg are pretty decent too . Yeap they’re a fairly safe bet to get you started , you might even like working for them .

That’s exactly my friend who lives in Toronto, told me. :slight_smile:

You could do a lot worse than Bison, yes, you will be on a 13 week training program but it’s not the same as their noob “driver finishing program”, most of it is simply the time from when you start to passing your test, which can, for some, take a long time. You need to learn the pre trip and air brake, pre trip is long but fairly straightforward, air brake is a bit of a joke, it’s complex compared to most other provinces and Bison want you to learn it word for word, no deviation before they’ll put you in for test, its different for every person and of course the non English speakers really struggle but you will be training for these things with others most likely all the time waiting for a test date which could be 5-8 weeks depending on availability. Once you pass you are straight out on a mentor trip with an in cab instructor (a bog standard driver who gets paid extra to “mentor” you). You’ll go long haul into the states and you’ll be assessed on paper, you don’t run team as said, you will be doing virtually all the driving, they will just be a passenger. You may get sent on several trips, depends how you do. From experience mine was relatively short, passed my test 4 weeks after starting, went on one mentor trip, was assigned a truck the day I got back and was the solo on long haul, bad for me because I was on training wages then for another 8 weeks regardless of how far I drove, it did wind me up but I knew it could happen if I got all the actual training done quickly. ■■■■ it up and just make sure you go on short trips and take 2 days off every time you get back, no point pushing yourself until you’re paid properly for it. Get yourself a room to rent and training wages are more than enough to house, clothe and feed you, what’s the point of renting a hotel room, waste of money, just rent a room, plenty on Kijiji.

You are a number at Bison, big company, until fleet knows you, then you get a name, tbh, they aren’t bad and I’ve had zero grief off them, just the usual nonsense you get from any big company. 12k miles is your target but by no means are you guaranteed it unless you really do work flat out, if you do 24days a month you may or may not hit 12k, lots of short trips around Midwest with booking slots the next day etc so you may only get 400 miles one day but then 630 the next, it’s up and down, you’ll make reasonable money though, trucks are well maintained, mostly Freightliner Cascadia rather than Volvos, trailers hit and miss because there are so many stand trailers and it relies on driver defecting stuff out on the road and fixing it, which obviously doesn’t happen like it should so guaranteed you’ll end up fixing everyone else’s buggered trailer when you have to swap to a loaded one at a shipper.

Bulk carriers is a company that a lot of Immigration agents will try and place you with, that’s enough of a warning sign. I think any name with “bulk” in is a warning sign from everything I’ve ever read.

If you work out of Winnipeg you won’t be going West, LCVs do that, you may once in a blue moon over to Calgary or California but most work is Midwest, Ontario with occasional runs down into the bible belt or much more unusually to Florida.

iwas 1st brit driving on pei as some have said they never go back to uk thats each to there own i geuss. but after 11yrs in pei and worked for all pei muppets liars and thieves .itried new brunswick as well and spell in manitoba .pei is lovely place in summer plenty to do/see. had few trips home in the 11yrs but after the last bunch im finally heading home 4 gd phaps i was treated to well in previous 20 yrs euro work theese companies and dispatchers lol who have rarely travelled anywhere seem to think that the uk and its drivers really need them.it works 4 some but ive seen way manymore guys broken and glad to get back to uk. also anyone coming here needs to know for a gd life your wife has to work as well. so i write this from toronto airport and wish anyone trying it gd luck and happy times

stevejones:
iwas 1st brit driving on pei as some have said they never go back to uk thats each to there own i geuss. but after 11yrs in pei and worked for all pei muppets liars and thieves .itried new brunswick as well and spell in manitoba .pei is lovely place in summer plenty to do/see. had few trips home in the 11yrs but after the last bunch im finally heading home 4 gd phaps i was treated to well in previous 20 yrs euro work theese companies and dispatchers lol who have rarely travelled anywhere seem to think that the uk and its drivers really need them.it works 4 some but ive seen way manymore guys broken and glad to get back to uk. also anyone coming here needs to know for a gd life your wife has to work as well. so i write this from toronto airport and wish anyone trying it gd luck and happy times

:unamused: :unamused: What a disaster , as a fellow Expat this post makes me hang my head in shame .

lol flat to the mat and to top the lot landed in gatwick yday and my luggage was sent to f,ing antigua

Hi Steve sorry to hear you have gone home but very understandable PEI is a great place to live but there is no money here.
All the best Barry

stevejones:
lol flat to the mat and to top the lot landed in gatwick yday and my luggage was sent to f,ing antigua

My apologies Steve , my sadness was directed more towards your grasp of the English language . Didn’t you bail out once before taking your Mustang with you , promising never to return to Canada , mocking the mugs that stayed here working for a pittance ?
Decide what you want , then go for it with both barrels without wasting your time and money on uncertainties . Best of luck with whatever you choose .

flat to the mat yes i did return to uk before with 2 mustangs . i did return to pei but for reasons i wont put on here .my final decision to come home is because im just not going to work being paid by mile . then there is all the hanging around not being paid .thats how it is all over the east coast and the only place i would live in canada is p.e.i. so yes ive tried and seen all there is on offer but thats me done . as for english language its trucknet not school

tks barry start new job monday stay well and have a gd xmas

Sorry to hear you went home again mate :frowning: At last we met once :smiley:

tks for that pat pat yes and ive still got the picture lol stay lucky pat :smiley:

stevejones:
flat to the mat yes i did return to uk before with 2 mustangs . i did return to pei but for reasons i wont put on here .my final decision to come home is because im just not going to work being paid by mile . then there is all the hanging around not being paid .thats how it is all over the east coast and the only place i would live in canada is p.e.i. so yes ive tried and seen all there is on offer but thats me done . as for english language its trucknet not school

You’ve tried Manitoba too ,not exactly East Coast, and ballsed that up as well M8 . Trucknet’s not school but FFS take some pride in what you do , it could make a huge difference :unamused:

i will bow out to the expert on my life pls dont reply

stevejones:
i will bow out to the expert on my life pls dont reply[/quote

I’ve waited for someone to bridge the gap without success , so as one literacy genius once said to another “soz m8” :laughing:

I moved to Canada in September 2016, did my class 1 in December after I settled in with my friends and tried to get in with bison in Calgary. Long story short, they will not touch me until I have held a Canadian licence for 12 months. Don’t know if they changed the way they work because the people I am living with have a friend who came over from the uk and went straight in with bison. As for making the move to Canada, I am only 28 so I went through the IEC program, if you are under 30 and not married or have no kids then you can apply through international experience Canada. I had to retake my class 1 though when I arrived in Canada. Swapped my britsish class 1 for a Canadian class 5 (car) so got a bum deal. Got it all done now so I am applying to companies around the area but yeah, bison told me I need a Canadian licence for 12 months before they would even look at me and I went to the terminal in Calgary to see them to basically be told to ■■■■ off.

Scraggy88:
I moved to Canada in September 2016, did my class 1 in December after I settled in with my friends and tried to get in with bison in Calgary. Long story short, they will not touch me until I have held a Canadian licence for 12 months. Don’t know if they changed the way they work because the people I am living with have a friend who came over from the uk and went straight in with bison. As for making the move to Canada, I am only 28 so I went through the IEC program, if you are under 30 and not married or have no kids then you can apply through international experience Canada. I had to retake my class 1 though when I arrived in Canada. Swapped my britsish class 1 for a Canadian class 5 (car) so got a bum deal. Got it all done now so I am applying to companies around the area but yeah, bison told me I need a Canadian licence for 12 months before they would even look at me and I went to the terminal in Calgary to see them to basically be told to ■■■■ off.

Have you tried Watt & Stewart Commodities in Claresholm AB?