Class one Training blog test result now included!

Evil8Beezle:
Again a great diary Ash, but I’m starting to wonder why you get a new instructor every day? :confused:
Do you think they are in the office before your lessons playing a game of short straws? :laughing:

Best of luck with going backwards pal, you manage it with most others things… :stuck_out_tongue:

Evil you ■■■■■■■■ you couldn’t resist, short straws lmao I cant stop laughing. I will have you know they are all talking about me, saying how much of a good driver I am :stuck_out_tongue:. As for the class 2 with 3 instructors well what can I say, they all had to experience my brilliance didn’t they, they had to see it with there own two eyes :wink:. Thanks for the advice regarding backwards evil, correct me if I am wrong have you booked your class one yet? you agency noob :wink:

Couldn’t resist :grimacing:

" Agency noob "…ouch, a bit low that Ash!

Well done on today mate. I am sure you were well aware, but MAKE SURE you check your headboard when turning at junctions.

All very well using your mirrors but DO NOT forget about your headboard when finishing off your turn. Definite test wrecker!

Swampey2418:
Couldn’t resist :grimacing:

Don’t apologize, I love it! :grimacing:

Christ Swampster-that was even lower, lol!!

ash 001:
Also ROG here is one for you just wishing to check your knowledge here, traffic comes to a stop, there is a bus stop marked out on the road. My guess is you stop before it and not in it, but if its in the road and there’s a queue of traffic nothing can get to it either so does it matter? Also if a bridge is unmarked weight wise is there a limit?

Bus stop is part of the road if its covering the carriageway so yes you can use and stop in that space

No weight limit sign = no weight limit

Loving the photo! We all know its a different story boys :wink: and beaver that wasn’t low evil knows its only the truth :slight_smile: he loves the banter. Thanks ROG that’s what I thought just thought I would check with you.

Day 3 has arrived, Its been a long day, I started at 7am and didn’t finish until 5.30pm due to being with one other trainee. So please excuse if the grammar is poor or it is very brief as its a bit of a blur.

So here goes, I awake at the usual time of 5.20am which is far too early to arrive at the training centre for 7am, as usual I arrive around 10 to 15 minutes early. As I pull up George (the other trainee with me today) also pulls up, we go in together and are chucked the keys by our instructor Robin for the day. We go to do our checks and have to un-couple and couple up the trailer, George is slightly unfamiliar with this so I let him do it and just watch, picking up things he misses and we get through it together. Everything is complete including trailer checks ect, Robin comes over jumps in and we get on our way, George is driving for around the first hour. This is actually quite helpful observing someone else as you see their mistakes and see what you should and shouldn’t do. I have got to say without being a big head I feel I am a better driver on the road test standard wise, only because George has driven class 2 with his company for the last 4 years and has picked up many bad habits.

So not much to say for the first hour really as I was not driving, now on to the bit I was dreading, the reversing! First off me and George get out and Robin does a demo reverse and shows us how it should be done. We both stand there observing his every move like hawks, all this time Robin is talking us through exactly what he was doing. So with that complete George is up first, Robin talks him through the first reverse, he nails it no sweat at all, now my nerves are kicking in. I then find out he has been reversing trailers around his yard since he was 16 (yes for 4 years!), great it will just be me looking like a knob today then :grimacing: .

So as I have not reversed an arctic before ever Robin suggests we do a couple of straight reverses in to the bay to begin with, I begin to get my bearings eventually and understand which way to turn the wheel. So after a few attempts I can keep the trailer straight and back in to the bay, Hooray! This isn’t that bad after all, or is it! Next off I try an angled reverse in to the bay, wow this ■■■■ just got ten times harder! I now have to come back at an angle, bend the trailer into the bay then straighten up to finish off. Yes this is easier said then done I am at this for a good 30 minutes to an hour (well it felt like that anyway, poor George!)until I finally get it in to my head what I should be doing. Right George does a few reverses now to see if I have put him off with my poor display of reversing skills, but no, there is no catching this lad out with reversing he knows exactly what he is doing!

Right I have now kind of mastered that bit, good job we had a lesson together today or I never would have managed to even get this far! So I say to Robin I am ready to attempt the reverse properly, he agrees and off I go! So first of all I pull up as close to the left cone as possible, then right hand down until full lock is engaged I then bring it back until I can see the two pieces of tape in my mirror, this makes my back tractor unit wheels just over a foot away from the yellow line. Next off, left hand down until full lock is engaged as soon as possible or you will hit the yellow line, now your front tractor unit wheels are riding the yellow line and you have a nice bend in your trailer :smiley: . As you straighten up you can now begin to see B cone that you had to manoeuvre around, if you can not see B cone you have ■■■■■■ up and will have to adjust accordingly (easier said then done!). So now your trailer is straight you bring it back nice and slowly and bend it in to the bay, this is easier said then done as I always felt I was too close to the first cone in the bay, which in fact I wasn’t so this made me go too far over on nearly every reverse! Which resulted in me making a shunt on nearly every reverse :unamused: :blush: . I am not going to bore you with the details guys but I was here for around 3 hours doing this, I still can not get my head around it, I could see my instructor and George were bored out there skulls and both thinking I wish he would bloody get this right!

So basically after being there for hours on end we decided we should move on, George has test tomorrow so he needs to get dome driving done. First off I drive for around an hour, covering all test routes. I negotiate many difficult junctions and roundabouts like before, I learn how to take them without hitting the kerbs also Robin allows me to think the different situations through, I make my own decisions about what I should do, like straddle lanes ect. If I am doing anything wrong he picks me up on it, other then that he lets me drive independently just giving me directions as and when he pleases :smiley: . Again I am going to be big headed and say no real problems here, if only reversing was as easy as going forwards!

So I swap over and let George drive, he drives for the remainder of the time we have left, mainly due to the fact I used lots of time up on reversing and his test is tomorrow. Also he is the one with a double lesson not me, so in theory I am the one getting extra tuition here for free, so I kindly let him crack on practicing. I am not going to cover what George did and didn’t do as my head is mush, before I know it we are back at the training centre. Here I drop the trailer successfully and safely with no real problems, with George observing.

Today to sum up, what have I actually learnt? Reversing is so much ■■■■■■■ harder then it looks! Hats off to all you arctic drivers out there that make it look effortless. I have been told I am at test standard with my driving and my reversing is ok, ok is being nice lets face it! I do not feel happy with my reversing at all, I am going to speak to the instructor tomorrow and just go have about 5 attempts at reversing to try and conquer it. As they say practice makes perfect, but I don’t have a lot of time. I have observed George today, a very good driver, I have learnt a few things from watching him drive. I can see he has bad habits but this will not stop him nailing his test tomorrow. Lastly best of luck to George tomorrow, I know you will smash it! Guys please pop back tomorrow for day 4, I promise you I will have mastered my reverse by then and hopefully be 100% happy to go to test on Friday! My head is spinning, off to bed I go!

Just want to encourage you. What you wrote sounded EXACTLY like my first session of reversing.
For ages I was stuffing up the beginning, taking a shunt, then getting the thing in. And actually that will still pass your test as long as you learn to fix the various messes that can occur!
By the time of the test I was clear what I was doing and it went fine.

It’s amazing what some sleep can do - see how you go tomorrow.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :smiley:

It’s the truth mate, I’m honestly too tired after today to properly read it, and do it justice, Sorry! :cry:
I’m absolutely bolloxed, but did post what I was driving today here:

until I can see the two pieces of tape in my mirror

This is what I do not agree with in training because there will not be such in real life

Better to do it without using markers

I could get 2 trainees to reverse test standard within 2 hours without using any such markers so other trainers should easily be able to do the same

ROG:

until I can see the two pieces of tape in my mirror

This is what I do not agree with in training because there will not be such in real life

Better to do it without using markers

I could get 2 trainees to reverse test standard within 2 hours without using any such markers so other trainers should easily be able to do the same

ROG can I visit you today for a couple of hours?! :grimacing: Thanks for the encouragement evil guess you have had a long and hard day chat tonight mate :slight_smile:,

th2013:
Just want to encourage you. What you wrote sounded EXACTLY like my first session of reversing.
For ages I was stuffing up the beginning, taking a shunt, then getting the thing in. And actually that will still pass your test as long as you learn to fix the various messes that can occur!
By the time of the test I was clear what I was doing and it went fine.

It’s amazing what some sleep can do - see how you go tomorrow.

Fingers crossed I am not sure if the trainer wants to go down there today but I am asking if I can, im sure he will say yes. Yes I feel I know when I need to take a shunt but In theory I shouldn’t have to , I am leaving now so lets see what happens. :slight_smile:

So day 4 has arrived guys, last day today before testing, so I am already feeling slightly nervous. First off its absolutely ■■■■■■■ it down today, but thankfully that didn’t put George off as he passed with only one minor! I start at 10.30am today, but I am waiting for around 15 minutes for the artic still to come back , by the time it comes back and I get sorted and ready to go its nearly 11am.

I have Robin again today, we crack on with driving the test routes throughout the day. Robin knows how I feel about reversing but assures me we are going to go to the test centre and he is going to talk me through all the markers to use, so I can complete the reverse successfully. So first off just some general driving, negotiating roundabouts making sure I am in the correct lane and knowing when to straddle lanes. It is pouring down today so visibility is poor, I feel this is affecting my driving slightly, as on many occasions today I was a little close for comfort on numerous occasions to the kerb when taking corners ect. We drive for around an hour until we find ourselves in the layby with the café again, I only grab a cuppa tea while Robin grabs some food as well. Another trainee is also in here, she is training for her class 2 but has little confidence, even though she is a good driver, fingers crossed Sophie overcomes that and smashes her test tomorrow.

We are here for around 15 minutes, I am eager to get back on the road and get cracking today, as I feel I have hit the day 4 downhill training dip as ROG would say! I don’t know what’s up with me, I am not sure if its the weather that’s putting me off or reversing that’s stuck on my mind, Robin says I am slow making progression today and am not putting my foot down enough. Next off we drive more test routes, where I negotiate cars and a small bridge just taking my time easing off and bringing her through slowly. We are heading towards the test centre now to go and have a look at the reverse I was dreading, unfortunately the weather is so poor today and we don’t have enough time to actually go practice. But now we are at the test centre I can see how much more room you actually have, we walk out in to the reversing area and Robin shows me various markers to go by. He talks me through what I should be doing and he says he feels I will not have a problem come tomorrow just be confident. Which I kind of am now because I have seen how much room you have, and there is actually a drain cover you need to make sure your trailer wheels go over next to the bay. As long as you do that you will make it in to the bay perfectly Robin tells me, and if I am unsure there is no harm taking a shunt. As he would say take a shunt don’t be a c*nt.

So my confidence has grown now I know exactly what I am doing, I believe anyway. We leave the test centre and drive more test routes heading back towards the training centre, We negotiate what they call wing mirror alley. So again I over steer the corner to wing mirror alley and am ever so close to the kerb nearly hitting it, I can’t afford for this to happen on test! Lets hope the weather is better tomorrow and I can actually see a bit better, Going down wing mirror alley I take it very slow avoiding smashing my mirror on the trees. I meet a class 2 down there also, which I pull over and allow him to pass, being the right thing to do. I then plod along negotiating the corners, again avoiding hitting my mirror on the trees down my left hand side, Again Robin here tells me to press on and stop taking my time so much. I feel I need to get a fine line between progression and seeing the potential hazards to then adjust my speed for the situation, I seem to have lost all sense of this today :frowning:. I am either too slow or too fast, Robin is constantly bending my ear telling me to put my foot down ect, but it is wet so I feel it wasn’t as if I wasn’t progressing at all I was just being cautious!

We arrive back at the training centre, back in one piece with no kerbs hit, by the skin of my teeth. Sorry to keep it short but sweet today guys, I cant really remember everything that has been covered if I am honest. I feel as though I am ready for test tomorrow I just have to try and put my nerves behind me, take my time, assess the situation and react accordingly. I am trying to think positive about tomorrow and think of the best possible outcome, I need to not dwell on the little things, and not make any silly mistakes! Come back tomorrow for the result guy’s, fingers crossed now!

Good luck fella,it’s slightly odd to me personally that your instructor knows you struggle and are not confident in the reverse yet he made no time for you to practice it the day before your test.
I guess that’s the downfall of 2:1 training when I did my test I spent a whole afternoon on the reverse pad,we didn’t leave til I did 3 perfect reverses in a row.

Well, I’m a bit speechless actually - so he didn’t cover reversing at all until day 3 and didn’t do it at all on day 4. Whatever the trainer(s) are smoking I want some…
(Also, don’t knock 2-1, I trained 2-1 and did reversing every morning apart from first day, and even though mine was better than other blokes he still got his time.)

I suspect the issue might be that the trainer doesn’t have a reversing practise patch near his base. My trainer has an arrangement with the local airport and it was a 2 minute drive at the start of each day. Some trainers have a place on site. Some are even test centers too so where you practise is where you do it for real. Maybe this is something that should be considered more when choosing trainers.

Anyway, all that aside, all the best for tomorrow. Sounds like your forward driving is spot on, hopefully you will get the reversing at the start of the test so you can relax for the remainder.
What time is your test?

Best of luck mate.

Some trainers have a place on site. Some are even test centers too so where you practise is where you do it for real. Maybe this is something that should be considered more when choosing trainers.

Without a doubt it’s an advantage to choose a trainer with test centre on site. But, just to clear up a point that hasn’t come up on this thread: having a test centre on site DOES NOT make the trainer a DSA Accredited LGV School. There is no connection between the two. Having said that, it begs the question why such schools are not accredited as they clearly have the physical infrastructure in place.

If only people knew the right questions to ask …!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Just a quick one guys as I need sleep, test is at 12.30 tomorrow, I have only had 2 1 training on one day for reverse so we could maximise time down there. Like someone said it’s a bit of a drive down there about 45 minutes so that is why it wasn’t covered, also it was ■■■■■■■ it down today so def wasn’t going to happen. They are great trainers down there I take my hat off to them, if I don’t pass it will be down to my own silly mistake nothing else :/. I have nailed 3 reverses without a shunt just not in a row I normally need a shunt but that is due to the setup being smaller then dvla standard so on test I should not have a problem :slight_smile: we can only pray and cross our fingers now :slight_smile:

ash 001:
Just a quick one guys as I need sleep, test is at 12.30 tomorrow, I have only had 2 1 training on one day for reverse so we could maximise time down there. Like someone said it’s a bit of a drive down there about 45 minutes so that is why it wasn’t covered, also it was ■■■■■■■ it down today so def wasn’t going to happen. They are great trainers down there I take my hat off to them, if I don’t pass it will be down to my own silly mistake nothing else :/. I have nailed 3 reverses without a shunt just not in a row I normally need a shunt but that is due to the setup being smaller then dvla standard so on test I should not have a problem :slight_smile: we can only pray and cross our fingers now :slight_smile:

Plus moving our cars out of Botley! :open_mouth:

Best of luck mate, you’ll cream it “The son of …” :smiley:

Fair enough! All the best for your test.