Class 1 Training Coming up and Nervousness

It’s been a long wait from my end but finally My Class 1 training coming up over this coming weekend and test on next Monday, Lets hope n pray I pass my practical test on first attempt. Finger crossed i been waiting for this moment for a long time. I am feeling very nervous to be honest as the day gets closer and closer.

Just make sure you relax. Try not to over think and when you do slow your thinking down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The worst thing you can do is to wind yourself up to the point of destruction! It’s obvious that anyone with a brain cell will be at least mildly concerned and that’s fine.

You know you’ve been careful thus far with your choice of trainer etc - so really there is very little to concern yourself with. Just enjoy the experience - - I will.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I don’t know why am I nervous it’s just i have seen everyone going through with their Class 1s and passing in the last 3 months and I am thinking myself whether am I gonna pass it or not even though I took Pass Protection and 1 extra free retest option as part of deal going at that time I am still thinking as to whether it will be enough or not, I know it’s come down to me in the end and I know I have chosen a great training school who has produced a good results through out the Year I just hope I can get through this last hurdle without any problems and the rest will be all come together once i pass it. so i just need a bit of luck… as the days are getting closer Pressure is building up.

I passed mine on the first go. When the test got going i was only actually nervous for the first couple of miles. I realised that it was just like a driving lesson, i could handle the wagon fine, i had been trained to do it, all i had to do was drive as id been taught.

Then a couple of miles down the road i remembered that I had forgotten the number plate in the coupling. I thought CRAP ive failed! :frowning: and just got on with the drive. In fact i nearly told the examiner to take me back to the test centre a couple of times! But i ended up thinking ■■■■ ive paid for it, i will get the practice; -) the examiner was a grumpy so and so, kept puffing and blowing. I thought, i dont care ive failed anyway.

When he told me id passed my first response was, i beg your pardon? He said you’ve passed, i said “are you sure mate?” He said yes, i said what about the coupling? He said “are you trying to talk me out of it? Give me your paperwork and ■■■■ off” and that was it for me. I was on cloud 9, but ive only drove a class 2 since. So im off to pete soon for a days refresher training before i get behind the wheel of one… its the responsible thing to do :slight_smile:

The morale is just to keeping working at it. Out of interest, mentioning the number plate (let alone doing anything with it) is nothing to do with the test.

Keep it simple.

You are absolutely right Peter I have stopped thinking about it now and focused on one thing that I need to stick to it. No matter what happens.

I recently passed my Class 1 test at the second attempt in May, after failing at the first attempt…believe it or not…on the coupling and uncoupling of the trailer!! I forgot to shunt forwards 3 times to check that the trailer was properly connected …and it wasn’t!!

Other than that my 1 hour’s driving and reversing had been close to perfect with not even a minor fault.

Due to the fact that we did the reversing first, then the 1 hour’s driving next and then the trailer uncoupling and coupling last, I could see glancing at the examiners sheet that there were no faults on it after the reversing and driving, so when it came to the trailer uncoupling/coupling…I mentally thought that I’d already passed…and stopped focusing and concentrating!!

I guess you’re already well used to driving rigids and if so, driving a Class 1 forwards is not really that much different, other than the vehicle length…just treat it as if you were having a driving assessment in a rigid. If you can, you just have to blank everyone and everything else out of your mind and just focus on yourself, the vehicle and the examiners instructions…and for that hour or so …pretend that nothing else exists. Get “in the zone”. Make sure that you make lots of very obvious use of your mirrors, especially to check your back wheels when cornering, and when you’re about to indicate left/right…oh and don’t forget to always check your “blind spot” …the examiners love that!

If you do happen to fail, don’t beat yourself up about it…you WILL pass next time.

I forgot to shunt forwards 3 times

It’s scary how many folks do silly things like that on test. Incidentally, the requirement is 2 shunts. But I guess there’s no problem with 3!