Cheshire Hauliers

hi there
does anybody have photos of ERF tankers belonging to
J W BARROW they were based in Lostock Gralam, where the DAF dealer is now
and any drivers who worked there

Hi

Anyone remember the band of small Cheshire hailiers who used to operate out of International Paper at Winsford in the 70s and 80s (still going I think. I drove for Eric Dawson of Middlewich for about 10 years, our yard and his house were behind Ken Elsby’s yard next to British salt. Eric ran a small fleet of well turned out wagons mainly ERF and Foden although I started on an AEC Mercury artic, progressing through LV cabbed ERFs to a 240 Gardner powered ERF B series Sadly Eric has passed on but his son Gary still operates an ERF on steel haulage I believe.

The work at IPC was quite varied carrying light but high loads of cardboard packaging all over the country (mainly on flats but later in tautliners) and back loading with anything for the North West. Best loads were reels of kraftliner paper from Sheerness straight back to IPC.

Other firms and owner drivers around the area working from IPC included
JW Owen from Nantwich
Eddie Riley from Kingsley (BettR haulage)
Fred Lathom Middlewich
Noel Bailey (OD)
Brian Brookes (OD)
Peter Walker and his dad (OD)

The work passed to A1 transport in about 1986 and most of these small outfits faded away.

Other firms from around the arwas who we saw regularly included,
Bill Sheeran (Tankers)
Kenny Elsby of course
Hackneys of Sanbach
Michael Baddely still going I think
Gordon Stead of Buxton on the salt (his 8 legger is in preservation I believe)
Allmans of Congleton (still going I still see Clive fairly regularly)
CRS Sanbach long gone
British Salt
Tesco
Kwiksave

Anyone remember those days or the drivers?

Regards Bob

Blind Bob:
Hi

Anyone remember the band of small Cheshire hailiers who used to operate out of International Paper at Winsford in the 70s and 80s (still going I think. I drove for Eric Dawson of Middlewich for about 10 years, our yard and his house were behind Ken Elsby’s yard next to British salt. Eric ran a small fleet of well turned out wagons mainly ERF and Foden although I started on an AEC Mercury artic, progressing through LV cabbed ERFs to a 240 Gardner powered ERF B series Sadly Eric has passed on but his son Gary still operates an ERF on steel haulage I believe.

The work at IPC was quite varied carrying light but high loads of cardboard packaging all over the country (mainly on flats but later in tautliners) and back loading with anything for the North West. Best loads were reels of kraftliner paper from Sheerness straight back to IPC.

Other firms and owner drivers around the area working from IPC included
JW Owen from Nantwich
Eddie Riley from Kingsley (BettR haulage)
Fred Lathom Middlewich
Noel Bailey (OD)
Brian Brookes (OD)
Peter Walker and his dad (OD)

The work passed to A1 transport in about 1986 and most of these small outfits faded away.

Other firms from around the arwas who we saw regularly included,
Bill Sheeran (Tankers)
Kenny Elsby of course
Hackneys of Sanbach
Michael Baddely still going I think
Gordon Stead of Buxton on the salt (his 8 legger is in preservation I believe)
Allmans of Congleton (still going I still see Clive fairly regularly)
CRS Sanbach long gone
British Salt
Tesco
Kwiksave

Anyone remember those days or the drivers?

Regards Bob

Blind Bob,

Do you remember a haulage company from Church Lane Weaverham,small outfit near the rear of St Mary’s Church?

Rgds,

David

Hi David

I do remember the company but not the name. He did some work out of IPC from time to time.

Others from fading memory
Joe Cross and Jeff Cross from Northwich (warehouse and an old C series still operating)
Lovatt from Middlewich
Charlie ■■■■ had a small depot in Northwich
Harris of Northwich
Peter Bozon from Sandbach (OD)
Lynch Tankers (still going)
Bostocks (still going)
The boys from Air Products at Sanbach.

More will come back I’m sure.

Regards Bob

Cheshire concrete form wheelock later became ensor transport
browns from rode heath
Jones transport from Smallwood
bathgates sand from arclid now arclid transport
chamberlains from haslington

Dont forget also these

BRITISH INDUSTRIAL SAND (BIS) which became HEPWORTH MINERALS AND CHEMICALS (HMC) then WBB (Wash Blake and Burn IIRC) running out of BENT Farm Quarry (I kid you not) and Chelford Quarry. All white powder tankers and tippers - ERF’s mainly with a Seddon Atkinson thrown in.
All had a camel on them - his name was CUTHBERT - LOL

Also there was the big one - CARMANS TRANSPORT/BRIT EUROPEAN - based originally in Scholar Green now in Crewe so I believe. They had a Cheshire postcode and address - honest. My late father worked there for 20+ years.

AXXONS Transport from Congleton

Washingtons also from Congleton

Peter Bozon was mentioned - he ran a 8 wheel tipper out of the Bent Farm Quarry for a good few years - I know I worked there :slight_smile:

Carswells Parcels before UPS took them over from Bosley

Chadwicks from Sandbach

Dow also were based in Stockport

Memory working overtime now :slight_smile:

RH Stevens from Macclesfiled
Whittackers

Also I recall seeing a lovely V8 142 Scania pulling out of ECO WHEEL in Congleton. I don’t know the driver or who owned it but I believe he lived in Macclesfiied.

SSPROS1965:

Whittackers

Also I recall seeing a lovely V8 142 Scania pulling out of ECO WHEEL in Congleton. I don’t know the driver or who owned it but I believe he lived in Macclesfiied.

the lads name who worked for eco wheel was Mick Bostock (not the one who was a subie for carmans another mick bostock) he packed in when his lad was killed in a motor bike accident .really nice lad mick he was good laff as well

More from the memory banks.

Pochin with his concrete pumps and other tackle
Jiffy’s own motors from Winsford. Scania 80s
Grays of Winsford
Gussion (GT) had a couple of motors based at Diversey Lever in Winsford
Remember Walsall Tubes! (Winsford)
Shadow Transport (Roger I think)
Scragg of Macs own motors
Didn’t Peter Bozon have a Sed Ak artic before the 8 legger running for CRS?

Around the early 80’s Cammac Transport had a pair of Volvo F10’s running out of IPC Winsford. Driven by the then IPC traffic managers two sons. Mmmmmmm.

Memory slowly returning

Bob

SSPROS1965:
Dont forget also these

BRITISH INDUSTRIAL SAND (BIS) which became HEPWORTH MINERALS AND CHEMICALS (HMC) then WBB (Wash Blake and Burn IIRC) running out of BENT Farm Quarry (I kid you not) and Chelford Quarry. All white powder tankers and tippers - ERF’s mainly with a Seddon Atkinson thrown in.
All had a camel on them - his name was CUTHBERT - LOL

Also there was the big one - CARMANS TRANSPORT/BRIT EUROPEAN - based originally in Scholar Green now in Crewe so I believe. They had a Cheshire postcode and address - honest. My late father worked there for 20+ years.

AXXONS Transport from Congleton

Washingtons also from Congleton

Peter Bozon was mentioned - he ran a 8 wheel tipper out of the Bent Farm Quarry for a good few years - I know I worked there :slight_smile:

Carswells Parcels before UPS took them over from Bosley

Chadwicks from Sandbach

Dow also were based in Stockport

Before moving to Canada i lived just outside Warrington in a village called Culcheth and running out of the village was Hunt Bros (Roger Hunt ex England and Liverpool player) there yard was in the middle of the village at one time nothing but 4 and 8 wheelers. Then my late dad drove for a company called Fridgelink, Andrews & Bond and then couple from Irlande , at the end of his driving days for Brit-European on tankers all over europe

Anyone mention Arclid from Sandbach/holmes chappel

the flying foden:

SSPROS1965:

Whittackers

the lads name who worked for eco wheel was Mick Bostock (not the one who was a subie for carmans another mick bostock) he packed in when his lad was killed in a motor bike accident .really nice lad mick he was good laff as well

Thanks for that Flying Foden.
Nice to put a name to a picture :slight_smile:
Strange how many Bostocks were involved in Transport in the South Cheshire area.

Don;t forget EJ BOSTOCKS who ran a large coach/buss fleet in Congleton too.

Blind Bob:
More from the memory banks.

Pochin with his concrete pumps and other tackle
Jiffy’s own motors from Winsford. Scania 80s
Grays of Winsford
Gussion (GT) had a couple of motors based at Diversey Lever in Winsford
Remember Walsall Tubes! (Winsford)
Shadow Transport (Roger I think)
Scragg of Macs own motors
Didn’t Peter Bozon have a Sed Ak artic before the 8 legger running for CRS?

Around the early 80’s Cammac Transport had a pair of Volvo F10’s running out of IPC Winsford. Driven by the then IPC traffic managers two sons. Mmmmmmm.

Memory slowly returning

Bob

Hey Bob - Peter Bozon looks like he is still going - bozon.co.uk/

I do remeber CRS - Mainly Volvos with White and Green liveries running our of Crewe area.

Looks like Peter has done well. Good to see a success story not dominated by the big boys. Yes CRS were green and cream changing from ERF’s to Volvos in the late seventies. Had a big warehouse in Sandbach.

Cheers

Bob

A couple of restoration ERFs belonging to Chadwicks Transport of Sandbach these both belonged to Jacks son Gordon who used to show them on the rally circuits.Chadwicks closed the doors of there transport company around 2005 they were running mainly Mercedes at the time.

Roger Bettley from Sandbach owned the yard next to Chadwicks on Station Rd.Was involved in tankers with Direct North West Ltd as MD until 2006 when they finnished.

Borrowed this photo from Bubbs Scrapbook (hope he wont mind)
JOHN

Boughey Distribution at wardle:

"Boughey Distribution has come a long way since 1960, when it was formed as a milk haulage company.

Acquired by the NWF Group plc in 1972, our record ever since has been one of growth and diversification in the warehousing & distribution supply chain to UK grocers."

I REMEMBER JOE CROSS& BROTHER GEOFF,THEY HAD NEVER SPOKE FOR YEARS GEOFF RAN MIXED FLEET OF A SERIES ERF’S WITH JENNING’S SLEEPERS,ALSO VOLVO F88’S,FODENS,HE MOVED FROM LOSTOCK GRALAM TO WINCHAM A COUPLE OF MILES AWAY TO A BIGGER YARD WITH QUITE A BIG WHAREHOUSE ,HE’S STILL THERE BUT NOW ONLY HAS 1 C SERIES ERF,BUT THE WHAREHOUSE SIDE IS STILL GOING STRONG,THE YARD STILL HAS LOAD’S OF THE OLD STUFF HE USED TO RUN ROTTING IN CORNERS OF THE YARD,HAS ANYONE GOT ANY PIC’S OF THIS FLEET.

the flying foden:

SSPROS1965:

Whittackers

Mick Whittaker owned and operated the scanias on the eco job . mick was a great block who was always up for a laugh . Yes Mick did pack up and moved to Spain after his son was killed . Micks last Scania and trailer was sold to Dave Stanier .

Hi all,

ref Bostocks of Congleton - I remember that not too long ago they were still running Atkis and ERF 4 and 8 wheeler flats… If they are still going what are they running now?

Blind Bob:
Hi David

I do remember the company but not the name. He did some work out of IPC from time to time.

Others from fading memory
Joe Cross and Jeff Cross from Northwich (warehouse and an old C series still operating)
Lovatt from Middlewich
Charlie ■■■■ had a small depot in Northwich
Harris of Northwich
Peter Bozon from Sandbach (OD)
Lynch Tankers (still going)
Bostocks (still going)
The boys from Air Products at Sanbach.

More will come back I’m sure.

Regards Bob

kings 260:

the flying foden:

SSPROS1965:

Whittackers

Mick Whittaker owned and operated the scanias on the eco job . mick was a great block who was always up for a laugh . Yes Mick did pack up and moved to Spain after his son was killed . Micks last Scania and trailer was sold to Dave Stanier .

your right it was Mick Whittaker my apologies for getting the name wrong used to ship out with him on a Sunday night some weeks