Cheap drivers

I’m beginning to think that we would be better off staying in the EU. Sure there are East European drivers available but they will return home when their economies pick up. But we will then be protected from a flood of drivers available from all over the world.

Optimum:
Sure there are East European drivers available but they will return home when their economies pick up. But we will then be protected from a flood of drivers available from all over the world.

Except countries like Poland are using cheap labour from Belarus and the Ukrainian and the EU are courting the remaining states in the Balkans for EU membership. So the cycle continues.

It won’t be long before Turkey becomes a fully fledged member of the EU.

Cheap labour is nothing new, Holland, France, Denmark, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland and Italy have employed Brit drivers for 40 years, all paid less than their own people.

Some drivers ready return to Lithuania,Poland.Because there now can gef 2000-2400 per month if do international job.To England mainly come young lads without any experience or with limited exp or drivers who son t lime stay in cab to long.And if wife not happy about live without husband.From my all know person here-it is some 20 drivers.May be just 3-5had worked long time somewhere for truck drivers.Rest start career here.

Wheel Nut:

Cheap labour is nothing new, Holland, France, Denmark, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland and Italy have employed Brit drivers for 40 years, all paid less than their own people.

As you say, those European countries have better pay than us. A good reason for being “in”

rob22888:

alamcculloch:
Some on here still speak ill of Thatcher, but it was Tony who opened the flood gates to all sorts. I wouldn’t have minded if we were welcoming those who had skill sets that we needed , but no in you come and we will help with the claim forms.

Tony Blairs government doesn’t have the best legacy. Stuff like the minimum wage were good, but the welfare state he created has caused all sorts of problems. Self responsibility was allowed to go out of the window, people made better off sat at home on their backsides, idle idiots being handed money on tap to breed yet more idle idiots because “why shouldn’t I be able to have 4 kids I can’t afford”. It’s no wonder employers lapped up the willing EU workers to do the crap jobs when they became easily available.

Spot on post. Blair completely ripped the heart out of this country in his quest to make us a state of federal Europe. He is the reason Brexit happened

Wheel Nut:

Not until they leave northern Cyprus?

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

the original question was about vehicles from outside of europe…that wont change as there are still many running on carnets…the same as us going in reverse to their countries…just means we dont have to get the carnet stamped at every border…just the first and last…and discharged at final destination.

I voted to leave,wish I voted remain now,sick to the back teeth of hearing about it,i don’t think anything will be achieved by us leaving[if we do]just wish they would get it over with

The average manual worker in the west has more to fear from robotics and computerisation than they have any “foreign” labour taking their job and the sooner they realize this the more chance of reacting in the right way to the oncoming storm

Optimum:

Wheel Nut:

As you say, those European countries have better pay than us. A good reason for being “in”

Well it would be an argument for staying, if wage growth in real terms across many countries in the EU hadn’t been pretty much stagnant for years now, to such an extent it has been worrying the ECB, worrying bankers of all people :open_mouth: , as they fear wages not rising above inflation will scupper any chance of major and sustained economic growth. Also despite the UK’s membership of the EU wage growth has also been pretty much stagnant for many years now, in fact wages rises in real terms for average workers has been steadily reducing since the 1970’s.

Of course I doubt we’ll have some miracle recovery in wage rises if we leave the EU, many other things in global economics system have to change for that to happen, but I would say the evidence is that EU membership might help make those at the top get richer, but it doesn’t seem to help the average worker in many of the established countries and this will continue while the EU is just another arm of the global economic system we have had for many decades now. The same system that robs billions more than goes back in aid from the poorest countries and therefore the poorest people in the World.

As for the opportunities for British drivers to work for higher wages in other EU countries, that seems unlikely as many of the countries whose haulage firms took on UK drivers in the past have seen their International work reduce dramatically, very rare to see a Dutch, German, Danish, French or Belgium truck far outside it’s own borders these days, though very common to see the trailer registered in those countries all over Europe pulled by Polish, Hungarian, Romanian or Bulgarian registered tractor units.

truckman020:
I voted to leave,wish I voted remain now,sick to the back teeth of hearing about it,i don’t think anything will be achieved by us leaving[if we do]just wish they would get it over with

If you think about it, it was always ■■■■■■ really. Farage wasn’t even a member of parliament, Boris was never really serious & you could probably count on one hand the number of government leaders who had any interest in seeing the UK leave the EU. Virtually all the clamour for Brexit in parliament has been from the back benches & fringe parties bar the odd lone voice like Michael Gove.

Brexit negotiations were always going to be put in the hands of people who don’t want it, we should have seen it coming really. They won’t pull the plug on it for fear of political suicide, so are just trying to fudge an arrangement that they think gives them the right to say they have “delivered brexit” and “delivered the will of the people”, but in reality it won’t really satisfy anybody. It’s a total mess.

rob22888:

truckman020:

If you think about it, it was always [zb] really. Farage wasn’t even a member of parliament, Boris was never really serious & you could probably count on one hand the number of government leaders who had any interest in seeing the UK leave the EU. Virtually all the clamour for Brexit in parliament has been from the back benches & fringe parties bar the odd lone voice like Michael Gove.

Brexit negotiations were always going to be put in the hands of people who don’t want it, we should have seen it coming really. They won’t pull the plug on it for fear of political suicide, so are just trying to fudge an arrangement that they think gives them the right to say they have “delivered brexit” and “delivered the will of the people”, but in reality it won’t really satisfy anybody. It’s a total mess.

Agree with that