Eastern European Drivers

Following the recent referendum result where the ‘majority’ of U.K citizens voted to leave the European Union [EU]. I’m interested to know how fellow drivers feel this will affect our industry in the future?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It wont change, the international work is almost non existant, and that only leaves the uk work, which will just carry on as before. There is talk of a permit system for non uk residents who wants to work here, so it could in effect stop a lot of east europeans pulling other peoples trailers, unless they can supply a permit ( hopefully )

truckyboy:
It wont change, the international work is almost non existant, and that only leaves the uk work, which will just carry on as before. There is talk of a permit system for non uk residents who wants to work here, so it could in effect stop a lot of east europeans pulling other peoples trailers, unless they can supply a permit ( hopefully )

I haven’t heard anything in relation to permits. Perhaps the reintroduction of Cabotage would help reduce Eastern European’s pulling other people’s trailers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have seen a few RO plated units pulling Dutch plated (hired) skellys on container work :open_mouth:

Nothing will change, not for the foreseeable anyway.

The free movement of people throughout Europe will be central to any Brexit negotiations, anyone who voted out and thought this would change clearly did not do their homework, do you honestly think the people who really run this country would be denied an endless pool of cheap labour, no.

mike68:

The free movement of people throughout Europe will be central to any Brexit negotiations, anyone who voted out and thought this would change clearly did not do their homework, do you honestly think the people who really run this country would be denied an endless pool of cheap labour, no.

That all depends on whether we remain in the single market or not. Of course those who want to remain in the sm will need to concede free movement, but that’s a total mistake as we still get the negatives of the eu which is what everyone voted against. I have no interest in remaining in the single market, as for me on a personal level I gain very little from it. The government won’t get away with any form of “Brexit lite” deal. Out means out and that’s all of it, single market and all.

OVLOV JAY:

mike68:

That all depends on whether we remain in the single market or not. Of course those who want to remain in the sm will need to concede free movement, but that’s a total mistake as we still get the negatives of the eu which is what everyone voted against. I have no interest in remaining in the single market, as for me on a personal level I gain very little from it. The government won’t get away with any form of “Brexit lite” deal. Out means out and that’s all of it, single market and all.

I would like to see a witdrawl from the SM with a negotiated trade deal, remember the Import duty to non EU countries is 4% nothing really, we support 1 million jobs in Germany alone they need us as much as we need them, I believe Theresa May will get us a fair deal its going to take a good few years and cost many millions to achieve, we will benefit as nation but its going to take considerably longer than most think.

OVLOV JAY:

mike68:

This week alone: Land-Rover /Jaguar are reporting sales resistance in the Eu due to Brexit; Renault/Nissan are holding back UK investment. Hard Brexit will mean 10% or maybe more tax on all automotive components. Even if you keep YOUR job, the increasing pool of unemployed will give YOU worse pay and conditions in the future. You may wish to leave the Eu community, but you`re still in the UK community, “no man is an island” etc.

Suits me franglais. I’m happy to struggle short term so my kids and grandkids can have a more prosperous future than the one I suffered at the expense of my elders selling us into this crap. And anyway, there’s every possibility a shortage in labour will lead to a return of the high wages that were enjoyed pre 2004 :wink:

Franglais:

OVLOV JAY:

mike68:

This week alone: Land-Rover /Jaguar are reporting sales resistance in the Eu due to Brexit; Renault/Nissan are holding back UK investment. Hard Brexit will mean 10% or maybe more tax on all automotive components. Even if you keep YOUR job, the increasing pool of unemployed will give YOU worse pay and conditions in the future. You may wish to leave the Eu community, but you`re still in the UK community, “no man is an island” etc.

you can take whatever dr. ralf speth (JLR CEO) says with a pinch of salt. This is the same bloke that said in the last pay deal we’re basically paid to much as it is and that what they had offered is too good already. And when he walked round the car park he asked why its full of Fords and not JLR cars

very strange thing to say to the backbone of his company.

I imagine lots of companies are going to blame any shortcomings on Brexit.

Personally I think immigration will have to stay as it is as the UK needs to be in the single market, it would be stupid to leave that.

OVLOV JAY:
Suits me franglais. I’m happy to struggle short term so my kids and grandkids can have a more prosperous future than the one I suffered at the expense of my elders selling us into this crap. And anyway, there’s every possibility a shortage in labour will lead to a return of the high wages that were enjoyed pre 2004 :wink:

You see a shortage of labour approaching. I see a shortage of jobs. I do hope I`m wrong…

Franglais:

OVLOV JAY:

mike68:

I read that JLR are negotiating to build a plant in Slovakia, which is currently the country of choice for new car factories in Europe, and that Nissan are looking at Spain for the next Gashqai :unamused: Hey but at least we have taken back control, oh sorry in the process of getting back control, on that note :smiley: I’ve noticed that the commons is being reduced to 600 elected representatives, whilst the non elected Lords is heading towards 1000 members, I feel so much more in control of my dwindling electoral representation :unamused:

Franglais:

OVLOV JAY:

You see a shortage of labour approaching. I see a shortage of jobs. I do hope I`m wrong…

Well if we’re both right there won’t be any shortage, as the jobs disappear, so will the migrant labour. Less congested roads, less demand on public services etc, so it seems like a win win all round.

eddie snax:

Franglais:

OVLOV JAY:

mike68:

I read that JLR are negotiating to build a plant in Slovakia, which is currently the country of choice for new car factories in Europe, and that Nissan are looking at Spain for the next Gashqai :unamused: Hey but at least we have taken back control, oh sorry in the process of getting back control, on that note :smiley: I’ve noticed that the commons is being reduced to 600 elected representatives, whilst the non elected Lords is heading towards 1000 members, I feel so much more in control of my dwindling electoral representation :unamused:

The JLR plant in Slovakia was being planned long before the referendum, in fact there is nothing new about factories being closed in the UK and replaced with a new one other parts of Europe or further.

Transit van production moved to Turkey. Hienz foods at worsted closed production shifted to Belguim. Cadbury moved production to Poland, Dyson to Malaysia. And none had anything to do with Brexit.

OVLOV JAY:

Franglais:

OVLOV JAY:

Well if we’re both right there won’t be any shortage, as the jobs disappear, so will the migrant labour. Less congested roads, less demand on public services etc, so it seems like a win win all round.

Your optimism is truly heart-warming! Ill remember it when Im shuffling along in the queue for the soup kitchen…

:confused:

Franglais:

OVLOV JAY:

Franglais:

OVLOV JAY:

Your optimism is truly heart-warming! Ill remember it when Im shuffling along in the queue for the soup kitchen…

:confused:

Blimey, all doom and gloom you :open_mouth:

We already have loads of people (working) using food banks etc and that’s while being in the eu. The country is not going to fall apart on Brexit. Have a little optimism :wink:

As for the op’s question, I doubt In the short to medium term we’ll see anything major change in the haulage industry, (world event permitting)

If there are jobs there’ll still be EE Drivers or even from elsewhere to fill them. They’ll still be loads of EE registered trucks on UK roads bringing in the stuff we import. A weaker pound might help a few hauliers get a bit more European work, but there won’t be a return to some glory days of loads of British hauliers running to Europe.

The demands of big business will outweigh the demands of the workforce, so sources of cheap labour are not going to be stopped from coming here.

The reason JLR are building new factories at all is because all of its UK factories are running at full capacity as it is. They run 24/5 and 8 hours sat or sun with one day a week solely focused on no production but WIP (work in Progress cars, i.e unfinished cars due to shortages/faults)

Jag castle Brom is probably the only exception but they’re still investing in that now so its not going anywhere soon.

If they’re to compete against the likes of Audi,BMW etc etc they need the capacity to build. It would be daft opening more factories here when there are cheaper more viable alternatives. They also have plants in India, China, Brazil and I think there is talk of opening another in the Czech republic.

muckles:
The demands of big business will outweigh the demands of the workforce, so sources of cheap labour are not going to be stopped from coming here.

Agreed, the voice of the common man is only relevant for a split second once every 5 years!

OVLOV JAY:
Blimey, all doom and gloom you :open_mouth:

We already have loads of people (working) using food banks etc and that’s while being in the eu. The country is not going to fall apart on Brexit. Have a little optimism :wink:

But by being like this Im guaranteed a win: Either its all blx, so I was correct in my prediction, or all is sunshine and happiness, and even a miserable git like me can appreciate that. Honest, I can smile!