Carbon pricing scheme

Big vote coming up on Wednesday (10 April), “The European Parliament is expected to adopt new rules for trucks and buses, which will drastically reduce the number of diesel trucks that can be sold in Europe, obliging truckmakers to increase the share of zero-emission vehicles such as battery-electric or hydrogen trucks.”

i posted the other day with a link to the new regs about having battery storage in attics (not allowed now). the gist was that it had to be somewhere that was insulated from where people were living.

I wonder how many lorry drivers will be killed before they realise electric lorries aren’t the way foward

Most British rail operators across the UK network are banning e-scooters from the 1st June.

Lorry drivers do die in work accidents.
Are you saying that electric trucks are inherently less safe than IC engine trucks?
Any figures?

I can see that lithium battery fires are very bad, no argument.
And diesel fires burn less hotly. OK. But still plenty hot enough to kill.

But which are more common?
Both kill, but which is actually worse?

I won’t mention the explosive risks of hydrogen because that is currently rare.

the reason that they have banned battery storage in attics and the like is because there is very little warning (read one or 2 seconds max) if a driver is asleep in the cab he has absolutely no chance of getting out. with an ice engine they don’t spontaneously combust. you have to work at it to set diesel on fire

apparently you cant park a e-scooter up in Westminster for the last 2 years

What’s more likely to result in a spontaneous very fast burning truck fire that also involves the cab.
A tank full of diesel or a massive tractor unit load of lithium batteries.
Hydrogen fuelled ICE is somewhere in between with lots of scope for leaks and ignition.While just replacing the marginal if any greenhouse credentials of CO2 with the very real greenhouse abilities of water vapour.
If it has to be an EV then replacing tractor units with rigid locomotive prime movers with the batteries well away from the cab and battery weight not being combined with drawbar trailer weight, is clearly the best option.

It’s been signed off by MEP’s & Governments. MEPs sign off on climate targets for heavy-duty vehicles