Buses, coaches, & lorries

A new Leyland Leopard with bodywork by Northern Counties at Wigan.
It will soon leave for its short journey to one of three depots of
Lancashire United Transport, the nearest one to this location is only
about 4 miles away at Hindley.

Is this photo location Wigan Park gates , Ray? Lots of photos in the Northern Counties book by Transport Publishing Co were at this location.
Cheers, Leyland 600

DEANB:

Click on pages twice to read.

The final two captions ‘right’ and ‘centre’ seem to have been transposed :wink: It is the bottom (right) picture that shows a Park Royal bodied AEC Reliance in the service of East Kent Road Car Co. Robert

One on the move

Leyland600:
Is this photo location Wigan Park gates , Ray? Lots of photos in the Northern Counties book by Transport Publishing Co were at this location.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Hi Gerald, This picture is at the main gateway to Haigh Hall, Pronounced Hay Hall locally, directly
opposite Wigan Infirmary on Wigan Lane, A 49, about half a mile from Wigan town centre.
The original Northern Counties factory was about 300 yards away to the right of the Lancashire United
Leyland Leopard, on the opposite side of Wigan Lane.
Wigan Park that you mentioned is called Mesnes Park, pronounced locally as Mains Park.

Regards, Ray.

robthedog:
One on the move

Same bus in April, 2004 - BXI2570, Bristol RE with Alexander (Belfast) bodywork:

Froggy55:
In 1913, the Bristol Tramway & Carriage Company bought a few Berliet CAT buses. No idea if its double deck bodywork is British or French made.

Thank you so much for posting the photo, Froggy. They were my first employers after leaving school, albeit in their newer guise of Bristol Omnibus Company. I remember that most of the older buses in our depot still had the old BT&CC brass plates in the saloon.
Strewth, I feel old! :unamused:

Various.
Oily

buses-Dublin in PD 2886190_PD 1280.jpg

Buses Natasha Moorfield cc by nc sa 2.0 121779483_bc244c05c8_nm o.jpg

Buses Jimmymac cc by nc sa 2.0 2837202522_60a5f4720d_jmo.jpg

Bus Wythall Transport Museum David P Howard cc by sa 2.0 4622608_5d32bfb8_1024x1024 dph.jpg

Bus Steph Gillett cc by nc sa 2.0 10430388073_a2b85b84a7_sg o.jpg

I wonder why this chap has a smile on his face
Click on the picture to enlarge the image. :wink:

■■■■■■.png

Bedford 1961.

Click on page twice to read.

Ribble Leyland PD2, fleet number 1512 is on route 320 from Liverpool to Wigan.
From Liverpool, the journey passed through Huyton, Prescot, St Helens, Haydock,
and Ashton In Makerfield. The round trip from Wigan to Liverpool and return took
3 hours. 1512 is seen here at Victoria Square in St Helens town centre.
NMP. Ray Smyth.

Ribble 1512 320.jpg

Ribble Fleet number 1851 was from the first group of Albion Lowlanders that Ribble acquired in 1964.
I drove it many times during the 2 years that I was at Ribble from early 1968. It is seen here at the
Ribble bus station in Hope Street, Wigan, on route W80, a “Works Service” to several of the large
Mill factories in the town of Eccleston, which is a few miles south of Leyland. NMP.
Ray Smyth.

Ribble 1851.jpg

It was a privilege to drive Molly back to Aylesford after the Bus Rally at the Kent and East Sussex Railway yesterday at Tenterden. Sutton Valence Hill required a lightning quick selection of 1st gear, before forward and upward progress ceased, much to the consternation of the following traffic. Earlier it had been hardly a surprise to find myself held up by two lycra louts for a lack of acceleration to overtake.

Various buses.

Got this off f/b. Old Gateshead firm based at the top of Bensham Bank.
Tyneside.

8EED4C0E-846B-4554-AC90-4F9EBC7020F7.jpeg

tyneside:
Tyneside.

Were do I remember Thirwell’s from ?

Carl Williams:

tyneside:
Tyneside.

Were do I remember Thirwell’s from ?

The

I remember they were the coach operator of choice for the school trips when I was a small boy.
I think they’re still going. Regards Kev.

tyneside:
Tyneside.

Nice shot there Tyneside, I remember them very well, This Bedford with a Duple body IIC, Was new to them in 1946, Regards Larry.

Thirlwells are still operating and now based at Swalwell. They have a website.

Tyneside

1963 and Butters of Market Drayton Leyland in Wellington.
Oily

.Leyland Tiger PS2,3,Harrington Dorsal Fin F37F Motorcoach,CN 500380 LN 570,BN 883,MKA 756,3-1951,Butters,Wellington,Shropshire,Saturday, 31st August ,1963 Dr Neil Clifton-OilTreader.1#.jpg