Buses, coaches, & lorries

A very smart Bristol FLF, Fleet No. 1540 of Hants & Dorset bus company.
Click on picture for full image. :slight_smile:

Hants & Dorset 1540.jpg

This Scania bus of Autocares Robrigues is now about 18 years old and still earns its keep as an
extra on market day, particularly in the summer when large numbers of people go to and from
Mojacar Playa area to Mojacar Pueblo (Village) where the market takes place. The first picture
is from 2006, the second picture is of more recent date. Ray Smyth. NMP

Rodrigues 1154 BJB.png

Mercedes Benz coach of Autocares Rodrigues from Los Gallardos in Almeria Province in Spain.
Ray Smyth.

Rodrigues Mercedes.jpg

Ribble Leyland PD2, Fleet No. 1778 seen in Bootle, Merseyside, sometime in the 1970s.
1778 is still in the original Ribble “Deep Red” livery, but is wearing the later fleetname
style of National Bus Company. A large percentage of the Ribble PD3 buses lasted for
about 16 years, and some a couple of years longer.
Ray Smyth.

Ribble 1778.jpg

This Standerwick Bristol VRL coach has just left Hope Street bus station, and is
passing through Market Place in the centre of Wigan. It is bound for Birmingham
in this very boring National Bus Company “White” livery. Picture by Tom Sutch.

Ray Smyth:
Ribble Leyland PD2, Fleet No. 1778 seen in Bootle, Merseyside, sometime in the 1970s.
1778 is still in the original Ribble “Deep Red” livery, but is wearing the later fleetname
style of National Bus Company. A large percentage of the Ribble PD3 buses lasted for
Ray Smyth.

That looks like Stanley Road where it meets Knowsley Road at the roundabout near the doctors surgery.

Aerial view of Old Haymarket area in the centre of Liverpool, late 1960s, or perhaps early 1970s.
The group of buses in the centre are 3 Ribble and 3 Liverpool Corporation, all Leylands, at the
“Old Haymarket” terminus. The Ribble Leyland PD2, and the Leyland Atlantean of Liverpool
Corporation on the flyover are heading to their terminus at the Pier Head. There are 2 Cathedrals
in view, the one on the left is the Metropolitan Cathedral, (Roman Catholic), The other Cathedral
is the Anglican Cathedral, (Protestant). On the right is St. Johns Beacon, when it first opened,
there was a revolving restaurant at the top, all round views over Lancashire, North Wales and
Cheshire whilst eating a meal. I believe Radio City occupies the top of the tower now.

Ribble 1814, a lowbridge Leyland Atlantean on route X23 to Clitheroe

BossHogg:

Ray Smyth:
Ray Smyth.

That looks like Stanley Road where it meets Knowsley Road at the roundabout near the doctors surgery.

Hi Boss, Thank you for your comment on the Ribble picture. I found it on Bootle Forum. Regards, Ray.

Cheers Ray, that’s where I saw it originally. (same username :wink: )

In 1955, Liverpool Corporation added 6 Leyland Royal Tigers to its fleet of buses, almost all
of which were double deckers. Two of the Royal Tigers were fitted with unusual bodywork,
the framework by Crossley, and completed at the Corporations own bodyshop at Edge Lane,
and called “Airporters” for carrying passengers between Liverpool Airport at Speke, and the
railway stations in the centre of Liverpool, and also the Pier Head landing stages, catering for
passengers arriving from, and travelling to Belfast, Dublin, Isle Of Man, Montreal, and New York.
The higher half deck toward the rear was built above a compartment for passengers luggage.
This vehicle, XL172…SKB 169 is in Skelhorne Street, Liverpool, beside Lime Street Station.

XL172 Airport.jpg

Bumped into this yesterday (not literally). Converted to a mobile restaurant, or is in the process of being so. Didn’t have the time for a proper nosey about.

1.jpg

1864 was one of the second batch of Albion Lowlanders that Ribble put into service in 1965.

Ribble 1864.png

Ribble 409, a Leyland Tiger Cub with bodywork by Saunders-Roe of Beaumaris, Anglesey.
The destination of the bus is Gowbarrow, north of Ullswater in the Lake District.

I am looking forward to attending the 21st Leyland Gathering next Sunday, July 7th at the
British Commercial Vehicle Museum in Leyland, Lancashire. The second picture is me at the
end of 1969, wearing my Ribble jacket, just before I went back to driving lorries.

Ray Smyth.

Ribble 409.jpg

Ribble 1663, one of many lowbridge double deck Leyland Atlanteans at the Wigan
depot of Ribble, seen here departing from the bus station at Hope Street, Wigan,
on the 90 minute round trip, route 352 to St Helens.

Ribble 1663 again seen in its later life. It is showing Orpington on the destination
blind, so it is a long way from its original home.

Ribble 1663.jpg

Ribble Fleet No. 1973 is seen here leaving Preston Bus Station on route 150 to Burnley.
This bus when new was S.5 in the Scout fleet, part of Ribble Motor Services.

Ribble 1973.jpg

Ray Smyth:
Ribble Fleet No. 1973 is seen here leaving Preston Bus Station on route 150 to Burnley.
This bus when new was S.5 in the Scout fleet, part of Ribble Motor Services.

Preston based 1973 was withdrawn by Ribble after suffering front-end damage in an accident in the garage in Selborne Street.
On disposal, it passed to the Ribble Vehicle Preservation Trust.
This (recentish) photograph shows 1973 in the RVPT Depot at Freckleton - awaiting restoration:

I have just returned from the 21st Leyland Gathering in Leyland,Lancashire.
I have to say that my “Pick of the day” was this 1934 Leyland Tiger bus which
was new to Todmorden Corporation. I am impressed with the skills of the
people that restored this bus to this immaculate condition… the paint job
is out of this world. Grateful thanks to Adrian, and the owners of this bus
for spending time with me earlier today.

Kind Regards, Ray Smyth.

Leyland Royal Tiger single deck bus, Ex Wigan Corporation No. 101, seen yesterday at the
21st Leyland Gathering at The British Commercial Vehicle Museum in Leyland, Lancashire.
The bodywork is by Northern Counties of Wigan.

Ray Smyth.