Buses, coaches, & lorries

A jerky ride in a bus can very easily be down to the vehicle rather than the driver. This will be far more noticeable with a bus than a lorry because by the very nature of the job bus drivers rarely get to drive the same vehicle one day to the next; more often than not changing vehicles mid shift. We all know how supposedly identical vehicles behave differently and how we get used to each one’s foibles. I would agree that a good driver can adapt remarkably quickly to a vehicle change, but fierce brakes and snatching clutches can be very difficult to manage smoothly. I’m sure some can recall the Gardner powered LV ERF’s attempt to leap out of bed as the clutch was let in on an incline. The planetary gearbox can be just as much a challenge to operate smoothly as a sliding mesh 'box. While a normal gearbox change is in the hands of the driver to time, a semi automatic planetary 'box will almost certainly be controlled either electrically, pneumatically or hydraulically. The first Routemasters to enter service in the 1950s acquired the reputation as ‘Jerkmasters’ because of the poor quality of the fully automatic gearchange. Move on to more modern vehicles with integrated retarders and individual vehicles can become a real nightmare to drive smoothly. The Scania Metropolitan in London Transport service produced a shocking gearchange because of LT’s modifications to the control system. Add in wear and tear and the Volvo Olympian with the Voith DIWA 'box’s integrated retarder will suddenly and unpredictably come in with a loud bang and a tremendous jerk at some point as the driver attempts to brake for a stop. The ageing Dennis Dart, just like the Metropolitan will not be able to make up its mind which gear it wants to be in as it climbs an incline when revs increase, resulting in loud bangs and jerks - all beyond the driver’s control.

An old caravanning friend was a bus driver for ‘an east midlands corporation’ and they were told to never brake harshly or swerve suddenly to avoid an incident if passenger safety was likely to be compromised which is how when he was driving his bus the city mayor’s car ended up missing its drivers door when the chauffeur threw it open in his path! :laughing:

Pete.

About 300 years ago- well, it seems like that sometimes!- my Bristol Omnibus tutor told me, “The paramount concern for every PSV driver should be the comfort & safety of his passengers”. Stayed with me all these years and is probably why my vehicles always had longer-lasting brakes and clutches than a lot of others. Didn’t get any bonus for it, though!

Leyland600:
Hi GOM a certain female Stagecoach driver in these parts certainly expects her crappy brand new Optare Solo to stop after a full flight downhill to a mini roundabout and then foot to the boards once more. New set od brake pads every week I guess !!!
With reference to your Guy Arab training Oily I wonder how some of these young uns would cope ■■?
Cheers Leyland 600.

Guy Arab’s ■■ never mind about the young uns, how would anyone cope with swinging the starting handle on a 6 LW in Dewsbury bus station in the middle of winter ? We had a special rope for the job, get the engine ‘ready’ two or three sturdy fellas on the rope and a quick swing. Worked most of the time but all too often it was “ring the lazy sods up, tell 'em to get some decent batteries down here and be quick about it” :smiley:

happy days

Ribble Leyland PD2, Fleet No. 1497, seen at Old Haymarket in Liverpool city centre.

Ribble 1497.jpg

Ribble Leyland PD2, Fleet No. 1916 seen at Blackburn Bus Station about to depart to Clitheroe.
It would be interesting to discover the actual name of the deep red paint colour that Ribble
buses were painted in for many years. Ray Smyth.

.Leyland Titan TD5,1950 Alexander L27,26R,8Ft Wide,Double Decker Omnibus,Chassis  No.16480,Body No.3769, RN 8310,Preston,March 1938,Ribble,Fleet No. 1916.Ray Smyth.1#.jpg

Hi Ray, The paint used was manufactured by Williamsons of Ripon I seem to remember under the trademark of Ripcerol. Probably known as Ribble Red or Crimson. The Carlisle painter was a good friend and a great craftsman, he and his labourer mate could prepare and paint a 1500 or 1700 decker inside and out in 4 1/2 days brushed. I had a tin of Williamsons Rossendale Crimson when I repainted my Leyland bodied PD 2/12 RTC 822.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Leyland600:
Hi Ray, The paint used was manufactured by Williamsons of Ripon I seem to remember under the trademark of Ripcerol. Probably known as Ribble Red or Crimson. The Carlisle painter was a good friend and a great craftsman, he and his labourer mate could prepare and paint a 1500 or 1700 decker inside and out in 4 1/2 days brushed. I had a tin of Williamsons Rossendale Crimson when I repainted my Leyland bodied PD 2/12 RTC 822.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Ray Smyth:
Ribble Leyland PD2, Fleet No. 1916 seen at Blackburn Bus Station about to depart to Clitheroe.
It would be interesting to discover the actual name of the deep red paint colour that Ribble
buses were painted in for many years. Ray Smyth.

TruckNetUK . Old Time Lorries . Buses,Motorcoaches & Lorries . Page 27 . Ribble Leyland Titan TD,Ribble Livery . VALKYRIE . Wednesday,
27th March,2019.

Hello Ray Smyth and Leyland 600 :slight_smile:
Ribble double decker bus,RN 8310,Fleet No.1916 is Leyland Titan TD5 of 1938 that originally had a Brush L27/26R body.Here are the details:-

Leyland Titan TD5/1950 Alexander L27/26R,8Ft Wide,Double Decker Omnibus,Chassis No.16480,Body No.3769, RN 8310,Preston,March 1938,
Ribble,Fleet No.1916.Ray Smyth.

.Leyland Titan TD5,1950 Alexander L27,26R,8Ft Wide,Double Decker Omnibus,Chassis  No.16480,Body No.3769, RN 8310,Preston,March 1938,Ribble,Fleet No. 1916.Ray Smyth.1#.jpg

To Millburn Motors Ltd,Preston,dealer, in April 1961,then J.Laverty,Neilston,Renfrewshire,May 1962,last licensed in October 1962,scrapped in
June 1963.

The official name of Ribble Motor Services’ red livery was Cherry Red,and was used with cream relief on the buses and usually reverse overall
cream,with Cherry Red relief,livery on Ribble motorcoaches such as this magnificent and preserved Leyland Tiger TS7 motorcoach:-

Leyland Tiger TS7/5-1950 Duple C31F Motorcoach,Chassis No.6726,Body No.53826, FV 5737,Blackpool,1-1936,Ribble,No.753.Originally English Electric C31F,new as Standerwick,No.81.Ray Smyth.1# Currently preserved by D.Hoare,Chepstow.

.Leyland Tiger TS7,5-1950 Duple C31F Motorcoach,Chassis No.6726,Body No.53826, FV 5737,Blackpool,1-1936,Ribble,No.753.Originally English Electric C31F,new as Standerwick,No.81.Ray Smyth.1#.png

Originally Leyland petrol engined ;re-numbered 32 in 1946.
To Ribble Motor Services,Preston,in March 1948,fitted with a new Leyland E.181 7.4-Litre Diesel-Oil Engine,and new Duple A-Type 8 Ft wide
motorcoach body,with Ribble fleet No.1461 and re-numbered 753 in 1951.
Withdrawn in September 1960,to Millburn Motors Ltd,Preston,dealer,3-7-1961,then Hooper to June 1962?,then to D.Hoare,Chepstow for
preservation in 1969,then to Clavewer,Antwerp,October 1992,for preservation,then purchased again by D.Hoare,Chepstow,for
preservation by October 1994.

VALKYRIE

The Pier Head at Liverpool in the early 1960s. The unpainted bus on the left looks like
one of the unpainted AEC Regent Vs. The bus nearest to the monument looks like one
of the 1949/50 Daimlers with Northern Counties bodywork. The remainder are Leyland
PD2s and Atlanteans. At the Princes Landing Stage is a ferry of the Isle Of Man Steam
Packet Company. Ray Smyth.

This weekend sees a celebration of the RT and RF buses’ significant anniversaries. 80 years since the first RT entered service and 40 years since both the RT and RF were withdrawn from service. There will be a recreation of the Last RT bus route - 62 - to run into Barking Garage.

londonbusmuseum.com/event/2 … 2019-03-30

cav551:
This weekend sees a celebration of the RT and RF buses’ significant anniversaries. 80 years since the first RT entered service and 40 years since both the RT and RF were withdrawn from service. There will be a recreation of the Last RT bus route - 62 - to run into Barking Garage.

londonbusmuseum.com/event/2 … 2019-03-30

There was also also an RF tribute run in Kingston etc last Sunday and I got caught in loads of traffic with some of them there on Sunday evening.I had to use the 213 to go to New Malden because the car was off the road waiting for new road tax.Circumstances mixed with memories brought a few tears to my eyes seeing them there again.

youtube.com/watch?v=Fe9YUxjngLc

Photographed 30.03.19. 3 Preserved Former Ribble vehicles in Cherry Red:

DSCN9279.JPG
Left to right:
1775 (RCK920) - 1962 Burlingham bodied Leyland Titan PD3;

1686 (NRN586) - 1960 MCW bodied Leyland Atlantean PDR1/1;

665 (MAN665D) - 1965 Marshall bodied Leyland Leopard PSU4.
After withdrawal by Ribble, 665 (DRN665D), went to The Isle of Man and ran in service for Isle of Man National Transport.
Happily, she ended up in preservation on the Isle of Man with a Manx registration containing the fleet number. The owner
regularly rallies her on the mainland and, when not on the road, exhibits her wearing the mainland registration plates.

Photograph taken on 30.03.19. at the Annual Members’ Meeting of the Ribble Vehicle Preservation Group - the Supporters’ area
of the Ribble Vehicle Preservation Trust.

December 1964.

Click on page twice to read

Thank you Ray for the reply to my White Lady mid bodied door memory.
Sorry to be so long coming back to you.
It would not be the Standerwick type bus that I recall. My bus journey days had ended well before they came out so I must be confused.
I do recall the Ribble double decker where the upstairs seats were four in bench form with the gangway down the offside. I hope I am not dreaming that one. Probably 1955 or 6 and on the Preston-Blackburn route.
This is a very interesting forum and a nostalgic memory jerker. Thanks and keep it up.

Peter

Walton man:
Thank you Ray for the reply to my White Lady mid bodied door memory.
Sorry to be so long coming back to you.
It would not be the Standerwick type bus that I recall. My bus journey days had ended well before they came out so I must be confused.
I do recall the Ribble double decker where the upstairs seats were four in bench form with the gangway down the offside.
I hope I am not dreaming that one. Probably 1955 or 6 and on the Preston-Blackburn route.
This is a very interesting forum and a nostalgic memory jerker. Thanks and keep it up.

Peter

Peter,

Z1  DCK219.jpg
Ribble 1248 - Preserved second generation White Lady. (New in 1951).
This is the version you remember with the offside upper deck sunken gangway.

Two examples of the third generation White Ladies (new in 1962) survive in preservation:

Ribble 1274 - Owned by John Cherry, Liverpool.

Ribble 1279 - Owned by the Ribble Vehicle Preservation Trust.

Thanks Trooper2

All bringing back memories as I look.

Peter

Bristol Omnibus Co. Fleet No. LC5000, Reg.No. LHY 949 was the first of 2 Bristol Lodekka prototypes.
Picture by M.Mogridge.

Bristol Lodekka en route to Ventnor, Isle Of Wight.
Picture by Martin S Curtis.

Abbotts of Blackpool had a fine fleet of AEC Coaches. The location is the Promenade in Blackpool,
North Pier is on the left, and Clifton Square on the right, where the Fylde Borough Transport bus
is waiting to head south to St Annes and Lytham.

Abbotts.png

Article from 1964.

Click on pages twice.