Bulwark tankers

Sniffy:
One is definately Bulwark, the second pic of the motor show may be Ancliffes as there’s an Urmston number on the back

The Tank With crossed Flags Is one of (as it says) Bulk Liquid Transport .They where a division of Peter Slaters from Gildersome near Leeds .
There base was in Lower Broughton Salford 7 . Bulk Liquid was sold to Ancliff when Slater run in to difficulty
with one or two log book charges with the man from the monastery, (people where having Porridge).
So Ancliff became ANCLIFF (BLT) The BLT was all-ways shown in (Brackets) That was when Ancliff (BLT) moved in to there purpose built Garage in URMSTON at the rear of the scaffolding firm (Stone’s) and the Buxted chicken plant.

b.waddy:
Hi folks , We used to run into TAC, in ROCHDALE and T/PARK out of E/PORT Docks regular ,then they seem to dissapere over night ,just a bit of usless info ,Cheers Barry

They started to disappear at UK site’s when they had to start paying out the compensation for the cancer case’s the same as at acker mill in old town above Hebden bridge West Yorkshire .

Hi ,Rider 200 , Thanks for that info ,Cheers Bary r

retriever:

Three for Bulwark past employees, enthusiasts and followers. All three pictures taken by Roger Kenney. The Guy tanker pictured features in our ‘Views to the North’ book which was published to celebrate Roger’s photographic work.

Who Remembers the Guy in proctor and Gamble yellow and black that had been in the motor show .
It had chrome U-bolts on all the springs and hangers .
It was christened the show boat and based at Urmstom/Traford park.

b.waddy:

Any Time !! Dad was on nights on the spanners at the (BLT) depot and then Urmston when they moved in with Ancliff The first job at the Ancliff yard was to cut all the Bull bars of the front of the (BLT) motors ,
Slater used to say if you come upon another BLT tank going up the snake and you can pass it DON’T get to the back and start pushing :open_mouth: . Ancliff said no pushing and no passing :cry: .

Rider200:

b.waddy:

Any Time !! Dad was on nights on the spanners at the (BLT) depot and then Urmston when they moved in with Ancliff The first job at the Ancliff yard was to cut all the Bull bars of the front of the (BLT) motors ,
Slater used to say if you come upon another BLT tank going up the snake and you can pass it DON’T get to the back and start pushing :open_mouth: . Ancliff said no pushing and no passing :cry: .

Rider200 - Do you know Jack Hirst then, ex Ancliffe Urmston Driver and well known shop steward ? A lot of drivers moved round the dozen or so tanker companies in the Trafford park area

Jack Hirst Doe’s not ring any bells
The Garage Union man was Brian Grimshaw Day foreman was Harry Taylor chief engineer was Frank Hooton

Does anyone remember or have any info/photo’s on a 1966 Leyland “Steer” artic unit fleet no 917 that Bulwark ran. The four front tyres were smaller than the two rear tyres and all three axles quite close together(10ft wheelbase) leaving no room for a fuel tank which was fitted across the back of the ergo cab.got a few more questions but will wait to see if anything is known about it. I have a feeling it was a pig to drive though!! three axles in ten feet

I was wondering am I the only spanner person on the site :question: I did some driving but only odd Day/weeks when some one man bands drivers went on the hols and I was doing the self employed bit so a week driving was a change from being under the things and staying clean was a bonus :laughing: I don’t class myself as a driver I know there is more to it than having the class one . :sunglasses:

Rider200:
I was wondering am I the only spanner person on the site :question: I did some driving but only odd Day/weeks when some one man bands drivers went on the hols and I was doing the self employed bit so a week driving was a change from being under the things and staying clean was a bonus :laughing: I don’t class myself as a driver I know there is more to it than having the class one . :sunglasses:

Looks as though its just me then :astonished: :exclamation:

Rider200:

Rider200:

Looks as though its just me then :astonished: :exclamation:

No, there are a few of the Mucky Paws brigade on here, matey. Leylandlover is one, but he’s probably retired by now. We’re all getting older! I started my working life on the spanners but the Call of the Road grasped my attention. By the time I’d done about forty years of driving I realised that it was too late to do anything else.

I too started out on the spanners, this was at the insistence of the old man, a lorry driver most of his life said I was to learn a trade and under no circumstances drive lorries ! I did an apprenticeship and went on to be garage foreman but the call of the road got me in the end and for more money too ! I still do a bit of spannering for myself and mates but these days it’s normally on motorbikes, with something you can actually repair rather than just swap parts.

I am another who started on the tools in 1962 served my time and eventually became workshop foreman and then in 1986 i went to work in the traffic office until 2002 when I changed jobs and became part of a management buyout team of the company I went to work for,unfortunatly this went t-ts up after 4 yrs in 2006, I then went driving for the next 5 yrs took redundancy in Dec 2011 and retired in Aug 2012 at 65.Happy Days :smiley: :smiley:

Trev_H:
I normally on motorbikes,

Now your talking my kind of toy’s . Ive still got one in me shed :sunglasses:

Next to Gary Watt is Phil Potter bulwark driver in the final LOTY he lived in Bromyard worked out Southhampton dept at Totton.His sons painted is unit in the road for the final,his Dad before him worked for Bulwark on milk.The two ERF units and liquid tanks are on the St Pierre golf course BUT were the sponsors John Rudd

Ste46:

R-JACKO:
Hello all
Here are a few more photos courtesy of Harold Steele

Regards R-JACKO

I was pleasantly surprised to see this picture on line as I have the (or an) original of it in my collection. These were the first new ERFs in the new UTT livery and were, in fact, based at Stamps at Avonmouth, as can be seen from the fleet numbers and the London night-time exemption permits on the front bumper. For those of you not old enough to remember them, they were Ken Livingstone’s idea to keep noisy lorries out of London during the night - for those who HAD to go, you could get (buy!) a permit for each vehicle. These units were used on the nightly sugar shunt Avonmouth - Silvertown - Avonmouth. I drove the one at the back of the picture whilst on secondment from Burton to Avonmouth for a short period.

BTW, no-one has mentioned that Bulwarks had a depot in Burton on Trent for many years, handling bulk beer for Allied Breweries. Also based in the yard on Anglesey Road was a small fleet of Stamp’s tanks operating the midland link sugar contract for Tate & Lyle (where I came into the picture!)

Does anyone remember that UTT sponsored the LDOY competition in 1986, when, in order to be represented in every regional heat, a number of us were ‘volunteered’ to take part?

This is me in my posh new uniform and my Tate & Lyle liveried tanker in the Leicester heat, with my road-run navigator (my wife).

The only one to make it through to the national final at Cranfield was an Avonmouth driver whose name escapes me at the mo. This photo was taken on that day and in the picture, L to R are Colin Buckley - Avonmouth depot manager, Garry Watt - UTT MD and I can’t recall the other two at all. That’s me in the background with the rolled-up prog, my wife and Mrs Buckley.

Hope this jogs some memories.

Steve.

Found among a job lot of slides bought at a carboot sale, taken around 1980.

Xdriver:
Found among a job lot of slides bought at a carboot sale, taken around 1980. 0

That’s a very handsome machine. Very nice. Strewth, those ladders and catwalks, elf and safety would have a “crisis” if they came across owt like that today. :smiley:

grumpy old man:

Xdriver:
Found among a job lot of slides bought at a carboot sale, taken around 1980. 0

That’s a very handsome machine. Very nice. Strewth, those ladders and catwalks, elf and safety would have a “crisis” if they came across owt like that today. :smiley:

They look better than they Drove . :wink:

crossleyq:
Does anyone remember or have any info/photo’s on a 1966 Leyland “Steer” artic unit fleet no 917 that Bulwark ran. The four front tyres were smaller than the two rear tyres and all three axles quite close together(10ft wheelbase) leaving no room for a fuel tank which was fitted across the back of the ergo cab.got a few more questions but will wait to see if anything is known about it. I have a feeling it was a pig to drive though!! three axles in ten feet

Yes, I can help with this one! 917 was in white livery and early in 1970 was based at Southampton on a Monsanto contract where it loaded with polystyrene pellets containing pentane (a gas I believe) at their Hythe plant with deliveries to Bridgewater (British Cellophane??), on the basis of 5 round trips per week. The regular driver was Doug Harman. I can remember it had a very throaty engine noise and we could hear it approaching the depot before we saw it.

Talking of Southampton (I was there from Jan - May 70 as a management trainee) wasn’t the TGWU shop steward called Ron Pragnall? I remember a strike over the poor condition of the vehicles on the Esso fuel distribution contracts, and the big boss (Jack Ralph) coming down from Chippenham with Mike Sweeting to sort it out. The guy I worked for was called Andrew Danielli who wasn’t much older than me!

TIR Original:
Does anyone remember the training vehicle that Bulwarks had at Chippenham ? I was a driver for Jameson International at Southampton and the company was bought by United Transport at the end of the 60’s. Some of us were sent to Chippenham to be assessed or trained at their depot there. The unit was an old Atkinson and the trailer was a tank with the front section turned into what I can only explain as a kind of greenhouse. This is where a few drivers would sit with the trainer who had radio contact with the cab. The trainer was quite a character and would not hesitate to tell who was behind the wheel at the time that it was capable of 60mph and not to dawdle ! Did anyone else out there experience this or remember the vehicle or trailer. Surely there must be somebody who either worked at Chippenham or visited the depot on here.

Yep I do. I was at Chippenham as a junior traffic clerk in the summer of 1978. I then went down to Totton. I bought CMR244L which was my first truck. 6 speed DB 180hp Gardner. Lovely motor (if underpowered). I really looked after her. I then sold her to Tolly Cobbold of Ipswich who used her as a shunter. Had her resprayed and everything.