BRS all popular?

This is interesting, it would appear that nationalisation wasn’t as popular as might be thought. Anyone recognise the place? And were there any other demos?

youtube.com/watch?v=ZDVZTb7iWSs

At a guess, I would say that at the start of the film it looks like the A4 somewhere underneath the Clifton Suspension Bridge near the junction of Bridge Valley Road in Bristol. The Bubbleman would know for sure, in fact he’s probably got a classic old photo somewhere along that stretch. :wink:

Definitely Bristol.

Think I spotted Dennis in that waggon and drag ? Guess they didn’t have a protest in ■■■■■■■■■■ and he had to travel down to Bristol ? :wink:

Regards John.

He’s always been keen to jump in on the Southerners’ decent ideas, 67- decent R&S, protests, etc. :wink:

Lonewolf Yorks:
This is interesting, it would appear that nationalisation wasn’t as popular as might be thought. Anyone recognise the place? And were there any other demos?

youtube.com/watch?v=ZDVZTb7iWSs

Hi Lone wolf.
Nationalisation of course was not popular with all Operators having their businesses and lively hood taken away , some were quite happy with the compensation pay outs ie those with old pre war fleets that were on their last legs etc . many others went to BRS as traffic managers locally and the largest fleet owners often took high office with the executive.
Drivers generally accepted the situation as I did ,what choice was there any way ? but most thought it was a better job as there many advantages ie depots in most towns for refuel ,repairs, subsistence etc. and no longer having to find your own return loads and once the fleet renewals came through there was a good assortment for drivers to gain further experience ,most ex BRS drivers today I believe look back fondly to those early days.

The last post was all well and good but there are/were two sides to every “coin”. As far as BRS was concerned well they had unlimited access to the “bottomless tax payers money pit” whereas a private Haulier had to borrow and PAY BACK any funds they needed to run their business ! It’s called healthy free enterprise which is always the “healthy option” when compared to the “dead hand” of Nationalisation ! Cheers Bewick.

When i was 21 i got a start at BRS in Elmstead mkt.After 2 months i got the sack for being too ‘quick’.We had a job from Colchester to Doncaster with steel.You could do it there and back in a day but we were supposed to stop halfway back and go into digs.I couldn’t handle that so came home.After 2 months i was asked to leave saying ‘‘if you want a racing job go somewhere else.’’

hutpik:
When i was 21 i got a start at BRS in Elmstead mkt.After 2 months i got the sack for being too ‘quick’.We had a job from Colchester to Doncaster with steel.You could do it there and back in a day but we were supposed to stop halfway back and go into digs.I couldn’t handle that so came home.After 2 months i was asked to leave saying ‘‘if you want a racing job go somewhere else.’’

Hi Hutpick, Yes ,it was the Labour gov,mt that nationalised most essential industries and BRS was no exception and union membership was ‘advised’ I was expected to join a union, without a card you were liable to be turned away from docks, mines, steelworks and any other nationalised industry, depots had a shop steward to monitor working standards and it worked both ways vehicle speeds were adhered to and a heavy truck carried a 20mph plate the expected average was 16.5 mph for example ,lighter trucks were averaged at 22 mph braking performance was variable , air braking was not the norm , it was very rare for our depot to have accidents there was no excuse to speed as the schedules were generous. all in all the job was ok there was no pressure on drivers but rules were rules and penalties could be expected otherwise.---- toshboy