British road Services

I notice that there are literally dozens of classic BRS pics on M20 ebay this morning. Robert

Does anyone remember the BRS drivers strike around 1952 time , it was that BRS were about to use road patrols in vans to supervise drivers at work around the country 24/7 ,needless to say after 2 days of driver stoppage BRS caved in ,those were the days of driver power something that is very much missing today !

toshboy:
Does anyone remember the BRS drivers strike around 1952 time , it was that BRS were about to use road patrols in vans to supervise drivers at work around the country 24/7 ,needless to say after 2 days of driver stoppage BRS caved in ,those were the days of driver power something that is very much missing today !

Hiya,
Yes Toshboy those were indeed the days a little before my time (5 years)
but still talked about in our depot in 1958 when I did my first stint at the
BRS, I found drivers did become their own worst enemy as time went by.
thanks harry, long retired

harry_gill:

toshboy:

Hiya,
Yes Toshboy those were indeed the days a little before my time (5 years)
but still talked about in our depot in 1958 when I did my first stint at the
BRS, I found drivers did become their own worst enemy as time went by.
thanks harry, long retired

Hi harry, yes I would agree with you there ,it became a different place when they started de-nationalisation when then I decided its time for pastures new but always retained a strong affection for BRS -the early days were the best , of course the new masters in private enterprise were mostly a total different breed , regards toshboy.

Gentlemen
my union affiliation in transport started at BRS BANBURY,in1968 not what you would call A MILITANT capital, however going round other depots I relised DRIVERS with in the BRS transport system was ,and I liked it ,why BECAUSE ,them ,and us , MANAGMENT AND DRIVERS , as workers its all ways been like that ,however the drivers as HARRY-GILL CORRECTLY SAID WE WERE OUR OWN WORST ENEMY.

The most militant shop steward be we awarded a yard Forman’s job ,then moved slowly up the ladder to management.pdb

JAKEY:
Thank you Dai,

I did get a lift home in a Roatrain in the general haulage colour scheme as you photo and it did end in that reg number, but not of the full reg though , although I do know the curtains were pulled fully across the back windows and the cab was immaculate ,but I think he told me it was not his lorry .

Evening Jakey.
Bill only had a roadtrain for a short while,it was either E612 or E613 RNY.The other 1 was E555 PUH and they all done massive mileage and were abused but they took it.Remember the area manager was paid off but had done a deal with cardiff truck and when they went back there was outrage at the over mileage cost.
Dai

peggydeckboy:
Gentlemen
my union affiliation in transport started at BRS BANBURY,in1968 not what you would call A MILITANT capital, however going round other depots I relised DRIVERS with in the BRS transport system was ,and I liked it ,why BECAUSE ,them ,and us , MANAGMENT AND DRIVERS , as workers its all ways been like that ,however the drivers as HARRY-GILL CORRECTLY SAID WE WERE OUR OWN WORST ENEMY.

The most militant shop steward be we awarded a yard Forman’s job ,then moved slowly up the ladder to management.pdb

The Shop Steward was always given the pick of the fleet. It paid to keep him sweet, but ■■■■■■■■ hauliers of the time probably wouldn’t agree! :wink: :wink: :wink:

At Oxford ,we had a driver (shop steward ) who took on a run two years before retirement :open_mouth:

Start 2pm at Oxford depot (Sandy lane) bounce the tractor unit down to 733 building at Unipart Cowley ,load or collect the trailer, up to Canley and Baiginton (Coventry) load trailer, then straight up to Fleetwood (ship sails at 9pm)dropped the trailer and pick up a empty one ,45 break this was way before the M40 was fully opened up so it was via Banbury, five nights away week ,now the worse part ,he returned every single night and never once had a night out , wagon was a brand new Roadtrain .

Only time there was a night out was if some one else did the job .

The wagon was spotless in and out.

In return it was never used during the day .

A few years after retirement he told me it was 70 mph all the way when he could and he was maximum points on his licence .

True , and he is still here today at 92 .

f995sou

Retired Old ■■■■:

peggydeckboy:
Gentlemen

The Shop Steward was always given the pick of the fleet. It paid to keep him sweet, but ■■■■■■■■ hauliers of the time probably wouldn’t agree! :wink: :wink: :wink:

I beg your pardon ROF ! all my Shop Stewards had very decent motors as ,of course, we only ran decent well maintained motors and there were no “punishment” motors on the fleet either ! But I suppose I could have made an exception for you ! :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

Been wearing those roes-tinted boss’s glasses again, Dennis? What about those “luxurious” Atkis you insisted on buying?

Retired Old ■■■■:
Been wearing those roes-tinted boss’s glasses again, Dennis? What about those “luxurious” Atkis you insisted on buying?

Finest British built heavy commercial ever built, The Atkinson, and loved by Operators and Drivers the length and breadth of the UK, pity BRS couldn’t afford to buy them ! I will rephrase that last remark, BRS only bought third rate motors, with tax payers “hard earned” !! Cheers Dennis. P.S. The reason why Atkinsons never figured highly in BRS was they wouldn’t give their products away at “cost” ! They had no need to as they could sell every chassis they produced to “Kosher Operators” ! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :wink:

Bewick:

Retired Old ■■■■:

Finest British built heavy commercial ever built, The Atkinson, and loved by Operators and Drivers the length and breadth of the UK, pity BRS couldn’t afford to buy them ! I will rephrase that last remark, BRS only bought third rate motors, with tax payers “hard earned” !! Cheers Dennis. P.S. The reason why Atkinsons never figured highly in BRS was they wouldn’t give their products away at “cost” ! They had no need to as they could sell every chassis they produced to “Kosher Operators” ! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :wink:

Well said Dennis, Too many Chiefs & No Indians, The BRS Was a load of rubbish in my book, Of course their drivers loved it , Getting paid for ■■■■■■■ lying about in lay byes, I wont go on with my views because there are lots of things that I can get on with, Im glad I got out of the haulage game when I did, Regards Larry.

There you go ROF, straight from the horses mouth; “drivers loved them” so there! :laughing: They must have been a lot better chassis-wise than those Sed-Ak 400’s we had though! :unamused:

Pete.

Drivers loved them? They weren’t allowed to say otherwise or he’d have sent the “office girl” out in the yard with their P45!

Retired Old ■■■■:
Drivers loved them? They weren’t allowed to say otherwise or he’d have sent the “office girl” out in the yard with their P45!

You are reminding of that John Cleese, Ronnie Barker and Ronnie Corbett sketch ! Which one was you ROF ? Cheers Dennis.

I know my place!!! :unamused:

Retired Old ■■■■:
I know my place!!! :unamused:

Correct ! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hiya,
Yes drivers loved Atki’s but loved them more minus Gardner engines a
■■■■■■■ or Roller made them more favourable, Yes I liked Atki’s but
if given the choice would have plumped for the ERF a tad more comfy
in the bit that made hauliers wealthy, but I did like both, but the one
motor that I really liked was the Scammell Crusader now with the big
Roller that was some machine, where’s my class one I’m off.
thanks harry, long retired.