Bridge height

So tomorows drop is in a dead end street the other side of a low bridge, its marked at 13 ft , my truck is 12ft 11 whats the chances of it actually being an inch lower than marked ?

Long as it’s not an arched bridge you should just squeeze under it

The chances are…

Exactly 50/50.

chaversdad:
So tomorows drop is in a dead end street the other side of a low bridge, its marked at 13 ft , my truck is 12ft 11 whats the chances of it actually being an inch lower than marked ?

If you hear a ■■■■ big bang followed by a scraping noise, you’ll know the answer. :laughing:
Don’t hold me to this, but usually there is a discrepancy or tolerance (on the right side) of about a couple of inches in bridge heights.
I’ve chanced my arm in the past getting a 14.6 marked up trailer under a 14.6 marked up bridge (shock horror, kick me in the nuts and call me un professional) with no probs…but as I said, don’t hold me to it.

Edit…(just for the hard of thinking and the puritans. :unamused: )
Anytime I’ve done that, I did not teararse under the bridge, stereo on full pelt with a big smile on my face, I edged under in crawler, suspension right down with my head and shoulders out of window watching trailer roof.
:unamused:

chaversdad:

Is your truck actually 12ft 11" or have you been told it is?

I was always under the impression that bridge heights are marked in multiples of 3", always higher never lower. So strictly speaking, you should be ok.

However, theres always a chance that the local authority have resurfaced the road making it an inch or two higher. Strangely enough, the press never follow up this fact after their usual “stupid lorry driver hits bridge” articles.

My rules ( and I mean rules, not guidelines) are “if I’m not happy, it doesnt happen”. And THAT is the only advice from me I suggest you follow.

Reverse down the street, that way if your air kit does clatter the bridge you can simply stop and pretend you were actually delivering the bridge and you’ve arrived.

Since you know about the problem in advance, put it to the office bods. Tell them they should find a smaller vehicle to take the load, or they can take responsibility if you hit the bridge. (We all know this wouldn’t actually apply, but it might make them think twice for a second).
Measuring the vehicle in the morning is all well and good, but say you measure it and it’s 11’10, you’ve got plenty of room. Get a few drops off, use a fair few litres of diesel, takes some weight off your suspension, now all of a sudden you’re 12’01.
Personally I wouldn’t take it, think it’s too close for comfort in my opinion, but I know plenty who would take it without a second thought

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

^^^^ The op is an owner driver.

Measure the truck height empty. If under the marked height of the bridge don’t worry too much. As said, take it slow, and get out to look.

Its not the trailer thats gonna catch its a flat, its the top of my windkit, i measured it again to double check and its exactly 12 ft 11 inches, its an arched bridged marked 13ft in the centre, windkit doesnt drop as its a Daf XF Superspace, that new bit of cement tells me someone else has recently been a bit close :open_mouth:

the maoster:
Reverse down the street, that way if your air kit does clatter the bridge you can simply stop and pretend you were actually delivering the bridge and you’ve arrived.

Common sense at last :laughing: :laughing:

It would be interesting if he makes it under the bridge loaded, but gets stuck when empty on the way out, and as an O/O his courage might depend on how deep his pockets are should he cause damage

Very useful doc here, Traffic signs manual - GOV.UK

Chapter 4 Warning signs, page 35 covers low bridges.

Essential they are generous in the given height, normally at least 3 extra inches. Even if road has been resurfaced the road height should have been re measured

One of our depots involves a 16’3" bridge, but with a 16’2" trailer. Many drivers take it, I’m yet to pluck up the courage

Thanks for that postie, most helpful (quite unusual for this lot on here :smiley: )
So on that info on the above link the bridge should be good for at least 13ft 3

All sorted, thanks TN for the sensible answers and the ■■■■■■■■■ :wink:

Last week i had to go under a bridge marked at 11ft 9 inch. Truck was marked at 12ft 11 inch. I queried with the regular mate and was told, “Yeah, we do it every week.”

It’s only 13ft between the marked lines on the bridge.Typically the muppets haven’t marked the road with the same guide lines as on the bridge which means a lot of room for error.Also are you absolutely sure that the truck is only 12ft 11 high max.

chaversdad:
Its not the trailer thats gonna catch its a flat, its the top of my windkit, i measured it again to double check and its exactly 12 ft 11 inches, its an arched bridged marked 13ft in the centre, windkit doesnt drop as its a Daf XF Superspace, that new bit of cement tells me someone else has recently been a bit close :open_mouth:

Looking at that picture, there’s a bridge further down that road, and a factory to the right, is there another way in, or even put company up, might be some who have been there

I chickened out of taking a 4m truck through the 4m northbound Blackwall tunnel. Turned round at the height barrier

Carryfast:
It’s only 13ft between the marked lines on the bridge.Typically the muppets haven’t marked the road with the same guide lines as on the bridge which means a lot of room for error.Also are you absolutely sure that the truck is only 12ft 11 high max.

Yes mate measured it with a height stick

peirre:
It would be interesting if he makes it under the bridge loaded, but gets stuck when empty on the way out, and as an O/O his courage might depend on how deep his pockets are should he cause damage

That happened to me in Rotherham once.
I was pulling Dutch trailers with a standard sized wheel 11x22.5 unit.
Got under this bridge loaded,.although very tight, but the ■■■■ would not go back under empty. :blush: …one way in one way out.
Had to wait bloody hours until they sent out a low ride unit to get it back under. :smiley: