Low bridge question.

How bridges are marked in UK?

Today I first time approached bridge, which was excactly the same height that my vehicle. I decided to get other route, but now I am wonder.

If I have 13’3 marked on the bridge and the same height of my vehicle can I still pass, or it’s better not to try?

I am asking, as in Poland there is some margin allowed (usually about 40-50 cm).

you’d have to let some air out of your tyres :smiley:

Common sense would suggest you don’t try to get under a bridge exactly the same height as your truck. You’ll get hammered by Railtrack if they own it…and just think of the merciless p**s taking on here if we find out :wink:

Unless marked with a height, all bridges over roads in the UK are 16’6" or over.

It depends on the bridge, sometimes they’re marked to a height, and there’s a measure of clearance for vehicles at the marked height. On others, they’ve resurfaced the road, and forgot to update the sign, which means you have no hope.

The basic answer is, if it’s within 6" of your vehicle height, then be [zb] careful.

Quick primer for the people who grew up with metric…
1 foot (1’) is 12 inches (12")
12" is just over 30cm. Any bridge not marked with a warning should be 16’6" (5M)

2.5cm=1 inch
30.5cm=1 foot=12 inches
91.5cm=1 yard=3 foot=36 inches

thanks for all, so I did good thing to go other way today :wink:

I take the opposite view. If a bridge has a specified clearance, and if I know (because I carry a tape measure) that my vehicle is not above that height, then I will go through, albeit tentatively, but only because I don’t want to be thrust into the extremities of the seat belt.

On here, some years ago, one member posted that bridge heights always allowed for a couple of inches of packed snow and ice. Whilst I’ve never been able to confirm that, it seems reasonable.

I certainly know of a 13’9" trailer going under a 13’3" bridge. Whilst it didn’t exactly come out the other side unscathed, the damage was minimal.

And No. It wasn’t me. :wink: :laughing:

orys:
thanks for all, so I did good thing to go other way today :wink:

Indeed you did my friend.

orys if you see the metal/stonework at eye level as you approach .
thats cool keep going :laughing:
ask a stupid question :laughing:

What Krankee said.

AFAIK the marker describes the maximum permissable height of the vehicle passing under the bridge, not the height of the bridge itself.

Hence a shorter vehicle which is, say, 13’6" high may well pass under a 13’0" bridge whereas an artic of same height would not.

I think it is perhaps more likely that the margin of error is to compensate for resurfacing rather than snow and ice, especially on minor roads where they hide the potholes with tar and chippings.

scania245:

I can guess from your posts that you already tried that…

allikat:
I

I was behind a Lithuanian marked vehicle late one night last week on the approach to a bridge locally, don’t know what height it was but it was taller than average. All of a sudden he slammed his anchors on :open_mouth: As it was about 3am and there wasn’t anyone around but us two I couldn’t see why he braked sharply. He crawled under the bridge in fits and starts at about 3mph. Once he was through I guessed why he was nervous: the only bridge sign was in feet & inches :laughing:

only go under bridges you know you can fit though. If in doubt go round.
our standard trailers are 14’2, i won’t attempt a bridge unless its marked over that height even though some people say there’s a margin of error.

I wouldn’t take the gamble, if i’m 14’ 6’‘, then i’ll be avoiding anything under 15’

Dr Dubya:
… the only bridge sign was in feet & inches :laughing:

It’s not just our foreign friends. When my trailer’s marked up in metric and the bridge is only marked up in feet and inches … erm!!! :blush: :blush:

Stan

On the positive side if you do hit a bridge, and the marked height was more than your trailer height, (before you hit it), or the bridge is less than 16’6" and not marked then you cannot be prosecuted, or asked to pay for the repair.

There is one on the A59, which still doesn’t have a sign on it despite being trashed twice in the last 20 years.

i always say the height marked on the bridge is the height allowed to go under it.i frequently go under a 14ft bridge with a 14ft trailer and a 146 bridge with a 146 trailer.i always drive right up to the bridge,jump out,have a quick look and then proceed slowly,ive never had any problems :smiley: i know that ive been under em before,no harm in double checking tho!

orys:

scania245:

Best driver youll ever meet, i leave accidents and bridge bashing to the east europeans . :laughing:

allikat:
It depends on the bridge, sometimes they’re marked to a height, and there’s a measure of clearance for vehicles at the marked height. On others, they’ve resurfaced the road, and forgot to update the sign, which means you have no hope.

The basic answer is, if it’s within 6" of your vehicle height, then be [zb] careful.

1 foot (1’) is 12 inches (12")
12" is just over 30cm. Any bridge not marked with a warning should be 16’6" (5M)

2.5cm=1 inch
30.5cm=1 foot=12 inches
91.5cm=1 yard=3 foot=96 inches

since whenhas there been 96 inches in a yard■■?

Since I said so?

Yeah, should have put 36… Brain failure. bort, etry, offee.

scania245:

orys:

scania245:

Best driver youll ever meet, i leave accidents and bridge bashing to the east europeans . :laughing:

And, as we can see, you are also giving up when it comes to thinking.