Low Bridge

If the Low Bridge ahead has a 13’0" warning sign and your truck is measured at 13’0" would you risk it ?

yes as you would safely pass under it, a little bit carful though, as the maximum height of the vehicle for the bridge is 13’0" which yours is! if your vehicle was 13’1" then i wouldnt go under it,if you catch the bridge your in the poop!

See now, I wouldn’t, I like an inch to spare. You’ve only got to bounce on a stone and crunch:wink:

No I wouldn’t risk it either.

You shouldn’t rely on a bridge marker being that accurate, and can you be that sure that you’ve measured the vehicle that accurately, too much of a chance for my liking :open_mouth:

By the way when you say “your truck is measured at 13’0"”, do you mean that you measured it or are you going on what the in-cab marker says ?

Depends how the cab marker is set, I think some places add a couple of inches to it to anyway to keep you away from any close ones. A lot of our markers are set at 13’6 or 13’9 (we have a only a couple of taller 14’2 ones out of hundreds of trailers) but I measured one of the standard trailers one day as I was gonna take a route back with a low bridge because of Motorway closure, it was only 13’4. If I measured it at 13’4 I wouldn’t take it under a 13’4 bridge though, 13’6 yes. If the bridge height is close to mine I’ll go under real slow jus incase, they’re usually on minor roads which aren’t busy anyway.

Lucy:
See now, I wouldn’t, I like an inch to spare. You’ve only got to bounce on a stone and crunch:wink:

I like an inch to spare

Do you now… :unamused:

bounce on a stone

STONE :exclamation: :exclamation: -oh, you mean the bridge thing… :laughing: :laughing:

Bridges are marked with the maximum height of vehicles allowed to go under them.
The bridge height marked is not the actual height clearance of the bridge.

In theory, ROG. In practice it still isn’t a good idea, though.

The way I have explained is per the highway code BUT I do agree that extreme caution should be taken if it is a close fit - I mean the bridge thing :wink:

I used to drive a 7.5t that was marked as 12’
When i measured it, it was 11’ 6"
Unless you know the exact height i woudn’t chance it.

My box is 13-9 and i often go through local bridges 13-9 too, if your speedo says 56 do you back off to 52 in case its lying ? :sunglasses:

I do wish body builders would put a measurement on the bodies of trucks where it is measured from the top of the body to approximately 4 feet from the road surface.
The last few feet could then easily be measured by the driver and added to the one put on by the bodybuilders.

Now when the road has just been resurfaced do they bother to re-measure the sign ? I think you just need to let some air out of the tyres !

xrayday:
Now when the road has just been resurfaced do they bother to re-measure the sign ?

I would imagine that there is some sort of procedure that must be followed when they do the above.

They would be legally liable for a lot of claims otherwise :exclamation:

tobytyke:
My box is 13-9 and i often go through local bridges 13-9 too, if your speedo says 56 do you back off to 52 in case its lying ? :sunglasses:

Not really a fair comparison, is it? If you think of the difference in potential consequences… :confused:

Lucy:

tobytyke:

Not really a fair comparison, is it? If you think of the difference in potential consequences… :confused:

Lucy we are led by the signs, if its wrong its not our fault.

My apologies for the poor picture quality…

There was a case of a driver that I know who hit a bridge :unamused: not his fault as the road under said bridge had been resurfaces several times but the maker had not been changed they should have been able to go under no problem

I wouldn’t risk it just in case

tobytyke:

Lucy:

tobytyke:

Lucy we are led by the signs, if its wrong its not our fault.

If the bridge height sign is wrong - not your fault :slight_smile:
If in-cab vehicle height indicator is wrong - your fault :cry:

ROG:
They would be legally liable for a lot of claims otherwise :exclamation:

As it’s local authorities we’re talking about here you can almost guarantee they’d be able to get out of any potential claims and still be able to put responsibilty on the driver :angry: