Books are fun.

I Think my favourites must be the 4 books by Simon Scarrow about the life and times of Wellington and Napoleon.
And as a fiction book Trapps war by Brian Callison is one of the funniest books ever.

Dipper_Dave:
Nice trip down memory lane with the classic ladybird books.

You absolute heretic. You have just sullied my childhood memories. As bad as that rainbow “twanger” episode. Zippy should’ve been fired for that,the muppet mouthed little pervert.

Franglais:

AndieHyde:
My own favorite is 1984 by George Orwell, must have read it about 5 times.

I believe it was meant as a warning from history about the dangers of a dystopian totaleterian regime taking control of the future by manipuilating the past.

Not as a road map for current european goverments.

Only European govs?
Double speak and double think seems similar to fake news? Our enemies of today who turn into our allies of tomorrow at a President’s whim?
And what of this Brave New World? Orwell couldn’t see the masses would actually administer their own soma as soft drugs.
His “Down And Out in Paris and London” is a great read too.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

The thing that I found frustrating with “Down and Out” is that Orwell very much gives the impression that he made himself destitute; that he didn’t have to have lived in the filth and mess he found himself in but used it as an experience for his book. One thing I did find interesting was the dichotomy between the front of house, elegant expensive restaurants and the squalor back in the kitchens, total filth really. Makes you shudder and you would hope things have moved on totally since then… wishful thinking?

Franglais:

AndieHyde:

I believe it was meant as a warning from history about the dangers of a dystopian totaleterian regime taking control of the future by manipuilating the past.

Only European govs?
Double speak and double think seems similar to fake news? Our enemies of today who turn into our allies of tomorrow at a President’s whim?
And what of this Brave New World? Orwell couldn’t see the masses would actually administer their own soma as soft drugs.

I reckon we are even deeper down the rabit hole than even Orwell predicted.
When I first read 1984 as a teenager , ironically about in 1984, it seemed futureistic even then and what captured my imagination was the Telescreens in which every household had a 2 way “television”.

Never in Georges wildest dreams would be the notion that people would willingly part with large amounts of their own money and carry these things in their pockets, with GPS tracking in the form of a bloody smart phone.

Have a read of “No place to hide” by Glenn Greenwald and see just how capable these things are.

I like autobiographys,read quite a few over the years,one I thought was rather good was ricky Tomlinson,[my arse]lol,about his life on the building sites and when he was jailed with two others[think it was for communism]another one which I thought was an excellent read was spectator in hell by colin Rushton,about a group of british POWs who spent their time in Auschwitz and witnessed the horrors of the holocaust,also the gangland ones starting with Lenny Mc lean,all good reading material,just finishing dennis watermans life story,next is Lee Evans.

I recently read Frederick Forsyth’s autobiography, “The Outsider, my life in intrigue”.
I’ve always enjoyed his books, his own life reads like one.
Qualified as RAF pilot aged 18, journalist in East Berlin during the Cold War aged 25, covered a civil war in Africa, worked for the Secret Service.
Strongly in favour of a free, independent Britain too, unlike too many politicians.

AndieHyde:

Franglais:

AndieHyde:

Only European govs?

When I first read 1984 as a teenager , ironically about in 1984, it seemed futureistic even then and what captured my imagination was the Telescreens in which every household had a 2 way “television”.

Never in Georges wildest dreams would be the notion that people would willingly part with large amounts of their own money and carry these things in their pockets, with GPS tracking in the form of a bloody smart phone.

Have a read of “No place to hide” by Glenn Greenwald and see just how capable these things are.

Seems to me to follow the “■■■■-up” rather than the “conspiracy” theory of history favoured by so many. We wander blindly into social engineering experiments rather than be forced into them by canny scheming politicians. Im no fan of professional politicians, and blame them for even more than they are actually guilty of, but they couldnt plan the society we build for ourselves even if they tried.
I keep on meaning to read “House Of Cards”, but having been so impressed by Ian Richardson as Francis Urquart in the TV series I haven`t got around to that yet.

Buckstones:
I recently read Frederick Forsyth’s autobiography, “The Outsider, my life in intrigue”.
Qualified as RAF pilot aged 18, journalist in East Berlin during the Cold War aged 25, covered a civil war in Africa, worked for the Secret Service.
Strongly in favour of a free, independent Britain too, unlike too many politicians.

I read that recently too. A very interesting life. His stance on Biafra was eye opening.

UKtramp:
I could suggest any of Dickens books that are a really good read to get lost in but my favorite happens to be Poetry.

I have recently started taking an interest in writing poetry but I have only got as far as 'Poet… :slight_smile:

switchlogic:

AndieHyde:

One of my favorites too. My all time favorite book though is Mungo Park - Travels to the Interior of Africa. It’s mostly his diary and factual and is a really fascinating read. Must have read it about 6 or 7 times now and never get bored. His writing is so good that it does really take you there and you feel like you are standing in his shoes, often scared s***less

Ever heard of Josiah Harlan? Ben McIntyre wrote a biography of him. The Kipling book “The Man Who Would Be King” was possibly based on his life. Mungo Park is on my list now by the way.

Franglais:

AndieHyde:

Franglais:

AndieHyde:

Only European govs?

Seems to me to follow the “■■■■-up” rather than the “conspiracy” theory of history favoured by so many. We wander blindly into social engineering experiments rather than be forced into them by canny scheming politicians. Im no fan of professional politicians, and blame them for even more than they are actually guilty of, but they couldnt plan the society we build for ourselves even if they tried.
I keep on meaning to read “House Of Cards”, but having been so impressed by Ian Richardson as Francis Urquart in the TV series I haven`t got around to that yet.

You reckon?
Richard von Coudenhove-Kalergi seemed to have it all mapped out from the 1920’s to what is happening in Europe in the present day. There is even an award in his name, but not widely publicised. One of the most notable recipient being one Angela Merkel.
Other shadowy figures such as Jean Monnet have pulled strings in high places to keep the plan on track, and dont even get me started on the Bilderberg Group.

And before those easily lead start jumping up and down about “tin foil hats”. All of this going on, right now… you just keep on fighting each other over the scraps and trying to keep your head above water. No need to worry about the great and the good, they have your best interests at heart.

Never got the UK version of House of cards, but did enjoy the US version. If Frank Underwood is art imitating life, were all screwed.

Just read Bruce Springsteen’s autobiography excellent read, was surprised to discover has battled with depression all his life. Always keep a few books in the lorry make a nice change from looking at the computer screen all the time

Franglais:

Buckstones:

I read that recently too. A very interesting life. His stance on Biafra was eye opening.

^^^^^^^^^^^

i always remember the biafran tribute type ad from heinz beans where the jingle went thus.( sing along if you remember the tune)…

a million housewifes every day,
open up a tin of beans and say…
one for you,and one for you,and one for you.

I only read autobiographies and factual war stories.
Just finished Steve Coogan.
Now on to a war story ‘The Devil’s own luck’ about a guy who landed at Pegasus Bridge by glider day before D Day, up to the Rhine crossing and meeting up with the Russians…