Blood, Sweat and Broken China (the Removals thread)

Cor ,we got this thread MOVING !!! these days , good team work from you ex and present removal men :laughing:

Yes we have now completed that job thank god !!! I went down again and delivered all in one day this time .

We are delivering to Tiverton itself week commencing 2nd of July ,but that’s with the MAN ,so there was no chance of getting that in the one I did .

May have a job to France soon (BUSSIRRE POIEUNE ) 30K from LIMOGES , I would love to do it but I wont or Phil will throw him dummy out of his pram .

Mark its picking up :open_mouth: :laughing: .

JAKEY:
Cor ,we got this thread MOVING !!! these days , good team work from you ex and present removal men :laughing:

Yes we have now completed that job thank god !!! I went down again and delivered all in one day this time .

We are delivering to Tiverton itself week commencing 2nd of July ,but that’s with the MAN ,so there was no chance of getting that in the one I did .

May have a job to France soon (BUSSIRRE POIEUNE ) 30K from LIMOGES , I would love to do it but I wont or Phil will throw him dummy out of his pram .

I will do France just for the break :laughing: :laughing: we need this thread to grow as you said so c,mon old and new

John ,I was thinking of doing myself , two men load and one deliver ,as the client a ex removal porter for Charles Wood of Cowley Oxford will assist unloading , he trying to keep the costs down and this suits me as he knows how to carry, also I would only loose the wagon and the driver for a few days and things look busy around the date he wants , would love a return load but I do not think I get one .

smallcoal:

marktaff:

smallcoal:
Hi mark ,I think I doing ebbw vale and Swansea in morning cheers John

Hi John…I take it you didn’t do Swansea after this week mate…the megs were there for you mate ?

Hi mark sorry mate they changed the routing about I been working till 8 most nights cause of ed ( zb) sheer an traffic heavy I Deffo on Carmarthen tomorrow as other driver night out tomorrow hopefully I have early finishes this week how’s your mother

No probs John… they are still with our storeman Dean for you to exchange mate…glad I wernt the other side of the bridge Friday mate…Ed Sheeran got a lot to answer for South Walians mate :smiley:

JAKEY:

Hi Steve,
Yes it is getting busy again mate… you temted to a run out to France yourself…be great couple of days out for you Steve and a good pair of hands the other end can’t go wrong mate :smiley:
You need to open a branch in the west country you doing a lot of work down there.
They started building your new truck yet Steve ?

I got shipping job tommorow over three days plus Harley motorbike. …then Thursday …Friday loading job from Cardiff to Chelmsford happy days :smiley:

marktaff:

JAKEY:

Hi Steve,
Yes it is getting busy again mate… you temted to a run out to France yourself…be great couple of days out for you Steve and a good pair of hands the other end can’t go wrong mate :smiley:
You need to open a branch in the west country you doing a lot of work down there.
They started building your new truck yet Steve ?

I got shipping job tommorow over three days plus Harley motorbike. …then Thursday …Friday loading job from Cardiff to Chelmsford happy days :smiley:

Hi mark would that be we move bikes in Gloucester or someone else

After cooked I moved to oldham and got a job with Rochdale removals, they eventually rented me to Pickford’s bury, talked manager into giving me a job and was there 6 years

Hello gezt,

Did you miss removals when you finished ?

Mark , No I wont get a chance to do the France, even my part time packer another (ex Charles wood porter) has been in and bagged a ride out with Phil , he wants to assist unloading , No PAY !!! ,he so loves going out with us ,No family at all ,lives on his own and gets bored ,No hobbies ,just misses Removals ,infact he is in this week packing and next week , the only trouble he does not stop talking !!! :laughing: ,Phil has told him he can go to France if we get the job ,and I told him its ok as long as you wear your uniform.

I will pay him .

Oh I forgot to say he is 78 but a young 78 .

Yep I did miss it, was a good hard job, great feeling when you did a good job. Used to do a few jobs that were container packed for shipping overseas.

JAKEY:
Hello gezt,

Mark , No I wont get a chance to do the France, even my part time packer another (ex Charles wood porter) has been in and bagged a ride out with Phil , he wants to assist unloading , No PAY !!! ,he so loves going out with us ,No family at all ,lives on his own and gets bored ,No hobbies ,just misses Removals ,infact he is in this week packing and next week , the only trouble he does not stop talking !!! :laughing: ,Phil has told him he can go to France if we get the job ,and I told him its ok as long as you wear your uniform.

I will pay him .

hi Jakey,

Here’s a photo of one of our Bedford marsdens NGR168T loading a removal from the South of France to delivery to Stockton On Tees almost 40 years ago. Like you say luck doesn’t usually allow you one over & one back. In this case we used two drivers and they took a load of divan beds down to our London depot and travelled the rest of the journey over empty. I would not have remembered had it not have been the two drivers reminicing at a recent reunion. You say about using young staff, and the photo was taken by Gordon Ball the Co driver, with Alan Brown at the time carrying a what aoppears to be a dvan base onto the van. Both are now in their 70s and Alan now is huge. It just illustrates how removals keep you fit.
I myself had the pleasure about 45 years ago bringing a removal back from Naples (Mid Summer) and what you cannot estimate is how the heat slows the loading. I was wondering if others have experienced the problem of loading inheat

NGR168T.jpg

Hello Carl , yes this heat today hit me hard !!! I had to go out and help ma crew of three tip the M A N locally , my son was a NO show this morning :open_mouth: :smiling_imp: ,pretty peeded off with him but his wage slip next month will reflect a four day week :open_mouth: so that’s why I had to go out and now I got about two hours of being in the bloody office .

JAKEY:
Hello gezt,

I will pay him .

Hi Steve,
I bet he’s a real character. …78 God bless him real old school I bet he can tell a few stories Steve.
once you have been in the removal game it’s hard to get away from it…it’s a constant challenge that some love… I know I have the bug to… would love to think I could still do it at 78…don’t know if I will get that living :smiley:

Carl Williams:

JAKEY:
Hello gezt,

I will pay him .

hi Jakey,

Here’s a photo of one of our Bedford marsdens NGR168T loading a removal from the South of France to delivery to Stockton On Tees almost 40 years ago. Like you say luck doesn’t usually allow you one over & one back. In this case we used two drivers and they took a load of divan beds down to our London depot and travelled the rest of the journey over empty. I would not have remembered had it not have been the two drivers reminicing at a recent reunion. You say about using young staff, and the photo was taken by Gordon Ball the Co driver, with Alan Brown at the time carrying a what aoppears to be a dvan base onto the van. Both are now in their 70s and Alan now is huge. It just illustrates how removals keep you fit.
I myself had the pleasure about 45 years ago bringing a removal back from Naples (Mid Summer) and what you cannot estimate is how the heat slows the loading. I was wondering if others have experienced the problem of loading inheat

Hi Carl,
It’s still the same in that part of the world…I was down in Toulouse a year ago now took a job out to Foix just below Toulouse and picked one up just outside Toulouse to come back to South Wales…the heat was unbearable sleeping in the cab was realy uncomfortable we slept with both windows down it was 41deg…like you say loading is slower in that heat…I bet those lads of yours back then in that lovely integral must have been roasting in that cab…lovely photo there Carl…they have a fair load on there to by the looks of it to.

I’ve attached a pic of me loading the job just outside Toulouse to come back to South Wales last year…it was 41 deg had to tranship it out to…even worse.

Did you go over into Europe much back then Carl ?

NGR168T.jpg

Hi Steve and mark, it’s a nice thing what you doing for the old gent really commend you mate it’s keeping him active as mark says he most probably show you a thing or to I bet it’s warm in that sleeper mark go park on Barry seafront should be cooler

smallcoal:
Hi Steve and mark, it’s a nice thing what you doing for the old gent really commend you mate it’s keeping him active as mark says he most probably show you a thing or to I bet it’s warm in that sleeper mark go park on Barry seafront should be cooler

Hi John,
Sorry about this morning mate…will maje sure they are there for you next time your in Swansea mate.

Lol yes it is warm again tonight parked up in the Toby Carvery car park Barry…road to the airport :smiley:

Another well kept fleet back in the day
PERRY BROS

Good morning all ,

Love the picture Mark , would of loved to have the one on the right ,is it a leyand with a vancraft body ?
john , you know Old Alan as we call him is a great bloke to know ,he only finished on Woods because he heard some of there staff moaning about him being so slow slow :open_mouth: he was 75 then !!!, give him the kitchen and it will be spot on and packed as it should be ,today I will drop him off and pick him up later as he cannot and never has drove.

When he first started in the game it was with us but he wanted European trips and my dad did not ,so he went to Lukers on Swiss for years then Charles Wood ,the day he walked out on Woods he came straight here on his bike looking for a part time packing job, how could I refuse that .

He only gets paid what hours he wants ,ie if he comes in for four hours that’s it, he goes when he is tired, he is not allowed to double carry but he does if you need a quick lift.

He is still chomping about going to France in a few weeks as he said it would be most likely his last trip :open_mouth: .

Sorry its a bit boring ,but its all I got at the moment .

Phil has been in the yard most of the days ,washing his truck ,then I got the forklift cradle gage out and he polished the top of the wagon , bloody trees !!! .