Blood, Sweat and Broken China (the Removals thread)

Carl Williams:

oiltreader:
These with permission and thanks to Dave Fawcett, the Bedford VAL pigeon carrier I’m guessing would have started life as a removal van, mebbe not :bulb:
Oily

Hi Oily, I think the Bedford VAL was most probably designed & built as a Pigeon Carrier.

I remember my father telling me of a visit to Marsdens about that time when he went to see how they were getting on building one of ours.

Aurthur Rathbone who designed most of the vans at that time was wandering round with a bit of wood, deep in thought, next to a van that was partly built, and dad said to him, ‘What are you up to’ 'Its a pigeon carrier & they want all these bloody doors to open at the same time; He was obviously figuring out how he could get all the doors to open together. About a month later there was an article & photo in Commercial Motor about a pigeon carrier they had built & how they had come up with this unique design to open all the doors so all the pigeons could fly out together, giving them an equal start. That may not be the van but there is a good chance it was.

Hope you’re keeping well, regards Carl

Hi Carl, I’m well thanks :smiley: your info for the pigeon carrier sounds spot on.
Cheers
Oily

A few more and apologies if I’ve posted some of them before.
Oily

Removals Richard 41179602181_88eacedb2e_k.rs jpg.jpg

Removals Richard 40234550782_a8b6a434c1_k.rs jpg.jpg

Removals Richard 40220770721_1ab90418e0_k.rs jpg.jpg

Removals Richard 39820855022_f2f70c78d5_k.rs jpg.jpg

Removals Michael Trolove cc by sa 2.0 4116086_ce6b0c0d.mt jpg.jpg

Removals Logomachy cc by sa 2.0 5410972_cf8bc829 logomachy .jpg

Removals Colin Smith cc by sa 2.0 3025847_78b51c7e cs .jpg

Removals at Pudsey Stephen Craven cc by sa 2.0 5370703_a0a80c06sc .jpg

Removals Andrew Tatlow cc by sa 2.0 2789935_1f9e48b4at .jpg

Hi jakey,that truck sounds like a nightmare take it everybody uses it no regular driver ,we had a driver at Jones Cyril his name was,he would pee in a bottle and tip it in the coolant in the morning his cab stunk for years so I know where you coming from ,nice pics oily keep on posting mate :smiley:

Great photos Oily , Yes John from new it had a regular driver but when he left it was never allocated a driver so now every one uses it ! shame because it was nice ,only last week the back end was snagged against there own fence ,it was botched up but I know it will never get repaired .

Hi mark ,I got those mags in my wagon I think I may be on west wales today won’t know till I get in cheers John

I like this but I would prefer a MERC or MAN chassis and cab .

Anyone know anything about this company. If they really did go to Moscow and Afghanistan then
fair play to them.

Click on page once.

remoals smiths cm3 1974.PNG

Great picture Dean , sod that in a old Leyland like that one :laughing:

JAKEY:
Great picture Dean , sod that in a old Leyland like that one :laughing:

Hi jakey,bet it was fun driving that wagon abroad wonder how long it took ,nice looking van that is

Hello John , I bet it was not fun :laughing: , also that is a lot to tip and load after driving that far ,arms like pop eye :open_mouth: :laughing:

JAKEY:
Hello John , I bet it was not fun :laughing: , also that is a lot to tip and load after driving that far ,arms like pop eye :open_mouth: :laughing:

At least it got a window on the Luton :laughing: :laughing: ,I would have loved a go in her you busy up there we are a bit quiet at the moment won’t last though

Hello John , No its patchy for this time of year , getting worried ,might have to drop the prices for a few weeks to keep us busy .

Ordered the new truck so I be ■■■■■■■■ myself towards the winter.

smallcoal:
Hi mark ,I got those mags in my wagon I think I may be on west wales today won’t know till I get in cheers John

Hi John,
Sorry mate been busy mother not been well again…let me know when your on west Wales run mate…I will make sure the other mags are there to exchange mate.

Did I see you climbing up the Newport bank this morning mate ?

JAKEY:
I like this but I would prefer a MERC or MAN chassis and cab .

Hi Steve,
These maxi vans seem to be taking flight everybody wants one…we have one on demo at the moment…the demo one we have the body is like cardboard…the GRP is so thin you can see through it…I don’t think the bodies will last long unless they are proper removal bodies :smiley:

How you doing bit slow at the moment !
Everybody I talk to at the moment are slow.

35078811_1767297803351537_7823834875911208960_n.jpg

DEANB:
Anyone know anything about this company. If they really did go to Moscow and Afghanistan then
fair play to them.

Click on page once.

Hi Dean,
Yes this company realy did go to these places,
What I remeber of Smiths they did a lot of work for Davis Turner…Evan Cook…and many of the big company’s who did not venture to those parts…I think they are still in business today !

remoals smiths cm3 1974.PNG

marktaff:

smallcoal:

Hi John,
Sorry mate been busy mother not been well again…let me know when your on west Wales run mate…I will make sure the other mags are there to exchange mate.

Hi mark what time was that cause I passed a Ryan’s container by Cardiff gate in Brittanias colours

smallcoal:

marktaff:

smallcoal:

Hi John,

Hi mark what time was that cause I passed a Ryan’s container by Cardiff gate in Brittanias colours

It was you then mate…Yes the Ryan’s Merc container box was behind you a little way back…I was in the far lane westbound coming off for Cwmbran just before the tunnels …the traffic was heavy my side you didn’t see me…was just after 8 this morning :smiley:

Like shops in the night mate I did flash !