Blood, Sweat and Broken China (the Removals thread)

JAKEY:
Hello Mark, hope you had a easy 900ft on off today as you were off when the 3kft job was on :laughing: :laughing: , that name does not ring a bell at all ,as I know all the local companies work force then and now ,but I will ask my old packer who does work two days a week for me (he is 78 now) but he worked full time for them up to two years ago (only left them because of men bikering) , he comes in and packs only but he will carry china cartons but not keen on book cartons (I don’t blame him) , he trying to get us to do Europe but we happy plodding national although we have got a international opertors licence .

I do price jobs to France but I am too expensive . :open_mouth:

Hi Jakey…easy one today mate picked up 500 ft in Bristol this morning and tipped it back in Swansea this afternoon mate…easing my way back in :smiley:
I can’t be sure how long he was there but I’m sure he’s past on now…your man would more than probably have known him.

Have you been busy today Jakey ?

This week we are pretty rammed and now all the way through March , any free time we will be on this office move , the actual move is Friday and Saturday , but then we have up to the 23rd of March to bring all the crap out and stack in roll on roll off skips , there was about 450 desks in recent years but about 50 years of crap in the basement and store rooms . :unamused: :laughing:

I be out as well :laughing: also “the hoff” is going to the isle of sky on the 25th ,he wont be back until the 29th so that takes one lorry out for the week .

Do you do runs to Northern France at all ? ,I got a part load needs taking .

Regards Steve

How about this old removal companies motto. “Distance no object” with a traction engine ! :laughing: :laughing:

You dont think of companies doing moves with them but people will have still moved from say London
to Edinburgh. I wonder how many days/weeks it would take to do one way !!

Click on page once or twice.

JAKEY:
thanks oily .

As I have said before my apprenticeship(upholsterer) was with a house furnisher and removals were part and parcel of the business, so at 17 passed my test(1930s Bedford luton van) and got a good schooling in the art of packing, juggling shapes for a snug fit, carrying empty space was a sin and like others have mentioned lock stock and barrel, coal, plants, pets and if you broke a mirror, a threat of 7 years bad luck and being Jocks… no we didn’t take the wallpaper as well :laughing: :laughing: any way a few more from people who share.
Oily

Removals Lee Bristol cc by sa 2.0 7710030242_973a89ff61_o LB .jpg

Removals kenjonbro cc by nc sa 2.0 8906346729_a51f2d6564_kjb k.jpg

great posts DEANB and Oily.

JAKEY:
This week we are pretty rammed and now all the way through March , any free time we will be on this office move , the actual move is Friday and Saturday , but then we have up to the 23rd of March to bring all the crap out and stack in roll on roll off skips , there was about 450 desks in recent years but about 50 years of crap in the basement and store rooms . :unamused: :laughing:

I be out as well :laughing: also “the hoff” is going to the isle of sky on the 25th ,he wont be back until the 29th so that takes one lorry out for the week .

Do you do runs to Northern France at all ? ,I got a part load needs taking .

Regards Steve

I Jakey,
You sure have got plenty of work to do mate.
Yes we do France…got wagon and drag running Spain regularly mate…if you want to speak to our European guy just let me know I will give him your details.

Removal article.

Click on pages twice to read.

One for mark and jakey :smiley:

THank you , smallcoal and DEANB.

That lad loved his baby merc .

smallcoal:
One for mark and jakey :smiley:

Hi John,
One of David Appleyards Rotherham. …was with this truck back last summer out in France…pic attached of me at the front and the Appleyards truck behind me waiting to board the ferry at CAEN for Portsmouth…Langdons and GB Liners waiting to…
Thanks for the pic mate.

DEANB:
Removal article.

Click on pages twice to read.

Hi Dean,
Another interesting article mate…as Jakey said you can see he realy did love that truck…I don’t know if they still do removals now Martin’s…I think they also call themself"s Martin’s Bros now…maily box vans they run these days.

Nice convoy there Marktaff. :smiley:

JAKEY:
Nice

convoy there Marktaff. :smiley:

Hi Jakey,
Yes mate front of the que. …I managed to get the afternoon boat the others did not :laughing:

You jammey bugger Mark , I bet your name was ■■■■■ then ? .

Not going well on this office move ! skips did not turn up until today but we were too busy to go and load :imp: , and there dragging there heals with getting rid of stuff :frowning: , we are clearing the levels but its slow and my lads are getting the dog on :open_mouth: , I think a bonous will have to be shown :laughing: , oh and there is no fanny about now and tea is now down to us to make etc .

JAKEY:
You jammey bugger Mark , I bet your name was [zb] then ? .

Not going well on this office move ! skips did not turn up until today but we were too busy to go and load :imp: , and there dragging there heals with getting rid of stuff :frowning: , we are clearing the levels but its slow and my lads are getting the dog on :open_mouth: , I think a bonous will have to be shown :laughing: , oh and there is no fanny about now and tea is now down to us to make etc .

Hi jakey,that’s not good having to make your own tea and no Totty either ,put ad in paper for one :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: ,hi mark of on your jollys where was you going then :sunglasses:

How about this then ?

I am not in to this old stuff but I thought I share it with the few of the old furniture bumpers who post . :laughing:

The picture above would have been back in the day when long distance removals would have been loaded onto a goods train, and taken to the destination and then unloaded by a local firm.the container on the above wagon could have been lifted straight onto a goods wagon.this was in the days of a b and c licences, although I think you could get a special b licence for long distance removals

jeffreyk:
The picture above would have been back in the day when long distance removals would have been loaded onto a goods train, and taken to the destination and then unloaded by a local firm.the container on the above wagon could have been lifted straight onto a goods wagon.this was in the days of a b and c licences, although I think you could get a special b licence for long distance removals

Our A licence A9629 was obviously one of the first issued and allowed us to carry anything anywhere. I think in the time of the photo it would be completely unrestricted as the licence system would not have yet come into being. In any event in 1920s we did quite a few removals from County Durham to London & South East. In the 1960s we had several vehicles running each week to Northern Ireland and we needed to have a Northern Ireland licence for this, so in those days if you got a booking for a removal to Northern Ireland you could not do it unless you had a Northern Ireland licence.

Although when we got the licence we had about 100 vans on our English licence, because of the cost of the Northern Ireland licence we only got one for four vans & there came a problem as we often hadn’t one of these available when needed, so we just stuck the discs on the wndscreen & never ever were the registation numbers checked so we never got caught out.

Southern Ireland was a much more difficult problem. You had to apply for a permit. Household removals were not usually a problem but we had to use a Southern Ireland port of arrival & departure. Where we were based in N E England the cheapest way would have been to use the Stranraer Larne crossing, were we were well known & often got pushed on infront of non regular users, & then run down & enter via the border, Liverpool Dublin ferry was too expensive so we had to travel down to South Wales. However we had a customer who manufactured furniture for schools and hospitals & they sold some to Southern Ireland, and they wouldn’t grant us a permit. After numerous telephone calls to Dublin’s equivalent of the Ministry of Transport I asked why there was such a problem. ‘We don’t want goods made in England in our Country and so we make as difficult as possible to get them here’ came the reply. In the event we had to send one our vans on Liverpool-Dublin Ferry to be met at the port by a Dublin based Removal Contractor & tranship so technically our van never entered Southern Ireland

smallcoal:

JAKEY:
You jammey bugger Mark , I bet your name was [zb] then ? .

Hi jakey,that’s not good having to make your own tea and no Totty either ,put ad in paper for one :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: ,hi mark of on your jollys where was you going then :sunglasses:

Hi John,
I’d been down to Toulouse South of France…couple from Brackla Bridgend retired and bought a property down there…beautiful part of the world mste…fair old run down from the boat good 11 hours.
Regards Mark