Birmingham and black country firms

thats the same ones dieseldog6, , when they had the sed atkis was after my time even thou i was only a nipper , when i was there with my dad they had dodges, and mercurys, and the cream mandators,one driver i remember was HUGHIE JONES , i heard he had retired from JEAVONS and was in a camper van in spain ?.i know HUGHIE was on with them when they had the sed atkis has i met him in hamilton when i was driving that must have been 18years later :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

dont forget Arthur Turnbull’s who used to be on the tyburn rd where the HTM roadsigns place now is, think they are still going but have moved over by tamworth or somewhere like that

arthur turnbulls are now in bentons transport yard at coleshill.

IIRC Bentons moved there from shirley when there was a split with steve benton transport -whos now at bannerley road, garretts green.

Dont forget people like olga cox transport at sutton coldfield (whatever happened to them??)

is arther tunbulls the same as brewer & tunbulls ?

no, arthur turnbulls are a general haulier, mainly curtainside/flats, not Brewer and Turnbull doing removals .IIRC the Arthur Turnbull flleet is down to about 4 or 5 motors.

edtheshark:
no, arthur turnbulls are a general haulier, mainly curtainside/flats, not Brewer and Turnbull doing removals .IIRC the Arthur Turnbull flleet is down to about 4 or 5 motors.

Ed,were Turnbulls at Erdington in the 80s,running Scania 4-wheelers on a North-East trunk? I seem to remember them when I was on nights.

curnock:
used to go to a transport company in balsall common,but i forgot the name !!,anybody remember ?

Curnock…if you go to Scrapbook Memories there’s a Caples Leyland loading a Seatrain container, in Bubbs latest offerings.

cheers for that ed always wondered where they had moved to

just remebered Weaver transport on the castle vale industrial estate, my first proper on road driving job after coming out the army in 96 was with them driving a renault 7.5 tonner , nights out in day cab :blush: doing the north east and scottish borders , think they also owned Allports renault truck dealership by sutton coldfield railway station

We used to have a few trucks from the Black Country collect foundry limestone from our quarry near Ashborne, John Williams from Wildmoor had a largish fleet of tippers and Hancocks of Dudley had a Ford D series that came daily. There was another old established firm with brown tippers from the Dudley area whose drivers were mostly long service men, they folded a few years ago when the foundries closed but I can’t recall the name though Eastman or similar rings a bell, anyone remember them? Plenty of work in that area in those days, we used to run to a lot of the foundries and take tarmac to the council yards and gas and water boards, if I went down there now I reckon that I would be lost!
Just remembered that it was H. ASHMAN (and son?) with the brown liveried tippers!

Pete.

How about L.P. Transport. Les Pottinger was very keen on Cradley Heath Speedway, did a lot of sponsoring in the '60s & '70s and lead a campaign to save the stadium in the '80s. Think his son took over but does anyone know if they are still going? :confused:

edtheshark:

Found this one on Bubb’s Scrapbook thread,: This would have been in the yard just under the bank at Spaghetti Junction I think. Anyone know the chap on the forklift?

i can remember bubb’s pic above in an article on midland firms in commercial motor - there was also a write up about Ansells and their Scammells and I think something about the old BRS depot at Bromford Bridge.

A few others I remember were West Midland Roadways when they were at Bentley Mill Lane at Walsall which later disappeared into P & O Roadways at Erskine Street.

Malcolm Davis (P.M. Davis) ran out of a small yard in Landor Street and ran a few F88’s subbying for P & O amongst others,

Does anyone remember Clark’s Transport who ran from Gate Lane in Boldmere with afleet of red Ford Dropsiders that had “U C us everywhere” signwritten on the tailgate.

Morris’s (■■) Sutton Coldfield - green trucks based in a yard beind a load of posh houses on the Chester Road at New Oscott - think they did a bit out of Dunlop

D. Hughes of Cradley Heath – this is all that’s left in the yard!

[quote=“vernonbish777”

Morris’s (■■) Sutton Coldfield - green trucks based in a yard beind a load of posh houses on the Chester Road at New Oscott - think they did a bit out of Dunlop[/quote]
funnily enough I was thinking about Morris’s today whilst driving down chester road thinking back I seem to remember them using seddon atkinson 400’s when they were running out of Dunlop , along with Woodall’s transport of coleshill running wheel and tyre assemblies up to the Jaguar plant at browns Lane in coventry

.when I left the army in 96 I worked at Dunlop or more precisely as it was back then SP tyres UK Ltd for 6 to 8 months loading and shunting trailers from the finished goods store to the trailer park on the day and afternoon shifts, and on a night shift shunting with a an ex post office TK bedford tractor unit with a scammell coupling from the loading deck where the finished tyres came off the production line to the finished goods store,used to spend more time kipping :smiley:

Carl:
how bout wj daniels fellas i remember seeing them in tamworth alot loading out of britvic soft drinks and alders paper mill (later to become smufits)

my old man used to work for billy when they were based at his house at lydiate ash and the trailers were parked in the sand pit

. . Hi All . …
. . how about HOSHIP . . in showell rd Bushbury . . I drove F292 EWD . ERF E14 320 . . Pulled like a train … NOT fully loaded from Traben trabach with 25 tonnes of wine in a triaxle supercube tilt !!! . . Anyone Ex-Hoship on here ■■ . . Also worked for Clarkes in Oldbury for a while . . a Cockney amongst all those Yam Yams !!! lol . .
. . Daz \0/ .

curnock:
used to go to a transport company in balsall common,but i forgot the name !!,anybody remember ?

ERIC CALLOW ? CALLOW FOR SERVICE NOT MUCH ELSE AT BALSALL COMMON

BigG-Unit:
How about L.P. Transport. Les Pottinger was very keen on Cradley Heath Speedway, did a lot of sponsoring in the '60s & '70s and lead a campaign to save the stadium in the '80s. Think his son took over but does anyone know if they are still going? :confused:

LITTLE POT HAULAGE ITS KNOW AS THESE DAYS MATE, NICE TIDY MOTORS ABOUT 6 OR 7 PARKED IN BIRDS YARD OLDBURY

stvme2519:
any one got any pics of birmingham our black country firms …be it small firms our even some of the big boys …exel…tnt automotive logistics -…swifts…

KEEP RIGHT ON OLD SON S.O.T.V
IF ICAN FIGURE OUT HOW TO PUT PICS ON HERE I WILL PUT SOME OF MY GRANDADS OLD MOTORS D J PONSONBY FROM THE LATE 70S FORD D SERIES ERF A SERIES TK BEDFORDS AND OTHERS OK CHEERS

MIKE P:

stvme2519:
any one got any pics of birmingham our black country firms …be it small firms our even some of the big boys …exel…tnt automotive logistics -…swifts…

KEEP RIGHT ON OLD SON S.O.T.V
IF ICAN FIGURE OUT HOW TO PUT PICS ON HERE I WILL PUT SOME OF MY GRANDADS OLD MOTORS D J PONSONBY FROM THE LATE 70S FORD D SERIES ERF A SERIES TK BEDFORDS AND OTHERS OK CHEERS

Get um on Mike, lot’s on here would love to see um. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: